News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer Rally Cockpit

Started by Patrick, August 25, 2008, 09:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

Hey guys,

you know that I like to use my steamer in a way it has not been intended by the engineers and designers in Hinckley. Therefore I condone the fact that I was not able to see my cockpit while I ride standing on the pegs.

Love it, change it or leave it, they say. I decided to do the second.

My very first idea was to use Dieter's rally screen:

So I orddered it. at the company that helped Dieter to develop it. Boy, was I disappointed! No, the screen wasn't badly made. The only thing was, that it weights 4 (!) kg. Far too heavy for my purposes.

The screen finally went to Mudhen, who, as I understand, is quite happy with it...

The topic "rally cockpit" went down to the bottom of my to-do-list.

Until this spring, when the cockpit frame broke for the third time. this time on two spots at the same time. Some parts fell off and were never found again. The guy at my workshop decided to construct a new frame from the scratch. This was the perfect time to do a rallye cockpit!

The screen comes from MRA and is - you won't believe it - designed for the steamer! But I think, they intended it to be mounted like this:

http://www.tm-accessories.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p501_Verkleidungsscheibe-Tourenform-Tiger-900--T400-.html

Weeeell... why easy, when it can be done the other way?

We cut of the front fairing and mounted the screen a set of srcews lower:

The cockpit itself has been mounted on a special frame somewhat higher than before. The roadbook holder went from the triple clamp to the cockpit.

This way I can read the instruments and GPS a lot easier both while standing up and remaining seated.

Not to mention the Dakar feeling...  :wink:

Well, if you can't ride your bike fast...

...make it look fast.  :lol:

Regards

Patrick

Dr. Mordo

Dude, you have done some amazing things with that bike.

I salute you.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Mudhen

\'96 Steamer

aeronca

man that looks great. hey what kind of handle bars are you running?
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

abruzzi

My recollection is the front end is off a KTM LC4, right?  That would likely make the bars Renthals.

Geof

Patrick

Close. Those are Magura X-line bars.

Regards

Patrick

aeronca

i like them. how much rise do they have. i still have the stock bars on my steamer and would like a taller set. i know a lot of guy's are using atv bars, but i like the look of yours. im not tall (5'10"), but i hate the fact i have to bend over when im standing on the pegs (really un-natural). in any event, you have a kick ass job on your steamer, and tonight i will promptly prepose a prost in your honor. :occasion14
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

cascadetiger

That is one cool bike.  Brilliant!!!!

Stretch

A first-rate job, as always.

Bob Tosi

Patrick

Found this and have alot of questions if you dont mind

where'd your front brake go?  Only one?

How did you convert your exhaust into three into one?  Was it hard to re-jet?

Is that a roll chart holder on the bottom of the cockpit?  Where can those be gotten?  Did you fab all the mounting yourself?  

How did you do that with your mirror mounting?

Does this cockpit design work better than the original from Dieter?
Are his still made or is it a totally one off custom job?  How expensive is expensive?

Thanks
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Rocinante

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"Patrick

Found this and have alot of questions if you dont mind

where'd your front brake go?  Only one?

How did you convert your exhaust into three into one?  Was it hard to re-jet?

Is that a roll chart holder on the bottom of the cockpit?  Where can those be gotten?  Did you fab all the mounting yourself?  

How did you do that with your mirror mounting?

Does this cockpit design work better than the original from Dieter?
Are his still made or is it a totally one off custom job?  How expensive is expensive?

Thanks

I´m not Patrick, but I have copied a lot of what he has done. I don´t know if Patrick´s still online, haven´t seen or heard him for almost a year. My last mails 9 months ago was unanswered, and he was eager to respond in the beginning. Hope nothing happened to him.

Patrick replaced the whole front forks with KTM forks and wheels, hence one not two discs.

3-1 is easy, he used a Motad Venom system for another Triumph and modified it. I used a Norman Hyde system for the same year Sprint and simply and brutally bend it upwards behind the foot peg. I had to make one bracket for the can, the rest fit perfectly.

Patrick had everything done by the German company www.motobau.de at a cost around 9000 Euro if I remember correct.
I did mine in the garage for about 2500 Euro.
It´s not as aggressive or rally oriented as his, but I was never thinking about racing.

Dag
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Bob Tosi

Cool, I'm not looking for a super aggressive rally bike.  Just something a little different to turn heads and get me off roading better.  We have alot of rally style rides and this would be way cool to have.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Rocinante

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"Cool, I'm not looking for a super aggressive rally bike.  Just something a little different to turn heads and get me off roading better.  We have alot of rally style rides and this would be way cool to have.

This is Rocinante as she looked before the crash:

The rear sections is from a KTM 640 SMC 2003, as is the front fender. The front wheel is 21", the rear is still 17" but will be 18" one day. The screen is a MRA-screen made for the Steamer. The GPS holder is a bicycle wall rack from the garage...:) And the exhaust is Norman Hyde as mentioned. Seat is 8-10 cm higher than original, as are the bars. I´m almost two meters tall so this was a must for me to stand comfortably.

I think it´ll look better still with the new screen, and am enthusiastically awaiting to pick it up later today.

Check out the thread:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7023

If you want further info just ask your questions here.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com