News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How To Change A Fuel Filter

Started by Stretch, October 12, 2008, 09:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

You're working around gasoline here, so extinguish open-flame heaters, pilot lights, etc.  Don't smoke, and keep smokers out of the work area until your done, lest they breeze in and absentmindedly light up.  Just a single gasoline vapor explosion will ruin your whole day.

First, remove your tank, explained in depth here:  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,32396

Then, with the tank sitting on a large secure workbench etc., remove the bolts holding the large metal panel.  8mm wrench size...

And then gently pull down and away to remove the fuel pump / filter / regulator assembly...

Remove the clamp from the fuel pump-to-filter metal line (5mm hex)...

Shuffle the hose clamps around to remove the metal line from the rubber ones.  Note that the short metal line does not have a symmetrical shape, and that it must be re-assembled the right way, with the line running parallel to the hard clamp's base...

Then shuffle the hose clamp down to free the fuel filter...

The old and new filters.  Which is which?

Available locally, and eleven bucks cheaper.

This is a great opportunity to remove any dirt and sediment from the small screen covering the fuel pick-up (the light-brown square in the fourth photo), and in the bottom-most reaches of the fuel tank.

Re-assembly is the same, except... like... backward.

Bixxer Bob

Yo Stretch,

:roll:  didn't even know it had one  :oops:

How often should they be changed???

:wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Stretch

Every 24,000 miles, according to my manual.

EvilBetty

Did you save the seal?  I just pulled mine and some little rings of rubber from the back of the seal stuck to the thread of the tank.

I'm assuming it's toast... which stinks because it's $18 and change.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Stretch

Mine was okay, so I was able to reuse it.

If it's questionable, go ahead and replace it.  $18 is cheap insurance against a fuel leak that could ignite (easily) and toast yo' Tiger, causing weeping and gnashing of teeth.

bahtiger

Thanks! I have a BMW fuel filter sitting on the shelf waiting on this very operation -- now I've got a guide. 33,000 miles on my 2004 and no problems, but I felt I should go ahead and change out the filter.

Stretch

Any inline filter with 5/16-inch barb connectors will work just fine.  An auto parts store probably has one for less than ten bucks.  I just picked up that one because I was at my favorite local shop (NPR Ducati / Boxerworks) picking up as much stuff as I could.

Tom Herold

The Purolator F20011 fuel filter is a direct replacement and can be found at almost auto parts store for a good price too.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

EvilBetty

Is it a metal filter?  Parts America has them but the website shows them as a plastic filter.  I was worried about this being submerged in the tank, not knowing what applications it was intended for...

Purolator F20011
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... ber=F20011

Stretch

Filled with gasoline... submerged in gasoline.  I'm no engineer, but I fail to see how that makes a difference to the canister material.

Anyone?  Anyone?

Bueller?

EvilBetty

LOL makes sense...

I've never felt dumber than I have the last few days on this forum!  :oops:

Stretch

Nonsense.  You've got the cojones to tear your bike into a hundred pieces and do your own service.  Not exactly an undaunting task the first time.

Mustang

Quote from: "Stretch"Nonsense.  You've got the cojones to tear your bike into a hundred pieces and do your own service.  Not exactly an undaunting task the first time.
Especially one you just bought ! :shock:
But there is no better way to get to know the beast ........
and remember the cost of this service from the dealer is crazy expensive , and more than likely they would not be as thourough and say they were  :twisted:

JetdocX

Quote from: "Stretch"Filled with gasoline... submerged in gasoline.  I'm no engineer, but I fail to see how that makes a difference to the canister material.

Anyone?  Anyone?

Bueller?

I have a question:  Will the plastic one withstand the fuel pressure? :shock:
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Good question.  The fuel system is regulated to 3 bar (about 44 psi) according to the manual, but the Fuel Pressure Regulator is downstream of the filter, so the filter is on the unregulated side of the system.

But...

If the fuel pressure were indeed high enough to rupture a plastic fuel filter, the lines wouldn't be rubber, and they wouldn't have those weak little spring clamps.

Fuel pressure high enough to burst a plastic filter would be blowing the rubber lines off their connections.