News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Please Read This before you drill/repair your tank.

Started by MIMbox, February 27, 2009, 12:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIMbox

Hi Guys,

Have been watching various threads regarding petrol tank repair.

This is a warning.

I bought an old tank from ebay, and cut it open to check the mounting hardware. The plastic around the captive nut assy's is VERY small. jus appears to be a cone shaped covering  and is just enough to cover the captive nut
It is not, as I hoped, a solid area, and if you were thinking of enlarging the hole for inserts etc you will be unlucky.
I have somewhere a picture of the inside of the petrol tap mount, which is the same. There is little margin for error.
If your tank is leaking you may need to patch from outside.

Sorry to sound so negative, but knowledge is power etc etc..[/b]

Mustang

I edited my post on repairing the spinning nuts to reflect this ,
I was bad for assuming that every one knew this and careful is the keyword .
I have repaired several using this method with 100 % success .

But yeah what MIMbox said there is not alot of plastic around the nuts . don't plow the hole open or you will be needing a new tank

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4807

nightrunner

So what about a pre-emptive change to using studs in those holes?   They could be glued in place.  And one could use some cap nuts or wing nuts, or???  Keep the rubber washers and the nuts will not vibrate loose.  Just a thought.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril