News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Piston ring Replacement

Started by zombie2, November 25, 2010, 03:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie2

Zombie here
My pc crashed and I lost all my info including all my passwords so I re-registered.
Anyway here's my question
I'm going to replace the rings on my 2001 Girly
Do I need to drop the motor or can I do it with the motor in the frame,
or is it easier to just drop the motor out of the frame
cheers

Mustang

it can be done in the frame ...............but you have to strip the bike pretty well for access to the top of the motor to get the head off .
IE , radiator, headers , throttle bodies and so on .
once you are at the point you can do the rings ....there is only 4 more bolts holding the engine in . sometimes it is less work to remove it it and put it on the bench than it is to try and work around dropping the engine .

zombie2

Cheers
Thats what I figured
also my basement will be nice and warm for doing the job with the motor out
I'll start a thread after christmas detailing the job with pics
Before I forget Mustang
I'm getting some more of them hardly-moving stickers
do ya want some??

Mustang

Quote from: "zombie2"Cheers

Before I forget Mustang
I'm getting some more of them hardly-moving stickers
do ya want some??

love to have one ..............thanks

zombie2

I've got the bike stripped down except for the throttle bodies.
I'm missing the 5 pages on head removal and replacement from my factory manual , so I'm looking for the head bolt replacement sequence and the torque values also what size torx I need
any help much appreciated

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

zombie2

Thanks BB e-mail sent :wink:

Sasquatch

Gotta ask.  Why are you needing to change the rings?

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "zombie2"Thanks BB e-mail sent :wink:

I discovered that both my copies of the manual, from different sources, are the same as Zombie's ie pages are missing.  Can anyone else help?

He needs pages 3-20 to 3-25.  Our copy jumps from 3-19 to 4-1

Cheers  :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

zombie2

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Gotta ask.  Why are you needing to change the rings?

After 70k and tons of abuse it's burning more oil than I like about a quart every 600 miles , and I'm curious to have a look at the inside of the motor.

Sasquatch

Sounds fair.  Mine has 50k on it.  While mine goes through some oil, I am convinced it is blowing out the breather into the air box.  I need to do the breather seals but I will probably update the dipstick to the newer, longer one and run a lower oil level like they did on the later 955's.  Hopefully the combination takes care of it.

zombie2

I know it's rings
When I get on the throttle I get a nice puff of blue smoke and my plugs are showing signs of oil burning and it has been progressivley getting worse.
I figured it was down to blasting across the dakotas in 114 degrees and it got low on oil and starved the rings slightly.
Just ordered the Haynes manual for it so should be good to go.
My bikes are normally rats but my motors are always tight and if something is not right then I'll sort it out.
By the way I just picked up a stock shock for the thing , can you rebuild it for me? as I hate that stupid hagon

Sasquatch

Quote from: "zombie2"I know it's rings
When I get on the throttle I get a nice puff of blue smoke and my plugs are showing signs of oil burning and it has been progressivley getting worse.
I figured it was down to blasting across the dakotas in 114 degrees and it got low on oil and starved the rings slightly.
Just ordered the Haynes manual for it so should be good to go.
My bikes are normally rats but my motors are always tight and if something is not right then I'll sort it out.
By the way I just picked up a stock shock for the thing , can you rebuild it for me? as I hate that stupid hagon

The stock one can not be done.  Sucks.  I can rework the Hagon though if your interested.  It has pretty pathetic valving in it.

I can also source HyperPro replacement shocks for it which are a huge step up over the Hagons.

jwray76

I will take the Hagon off your hands if it is in your way  :D

zombie2

And so the fun begins.
Tore into the bike today and took photo's of the process along the way.
First off I'm not a mechanic so this info is for entertainment purposes only
Now having said that I'm having a mate who is really good with all things oily and mechanical helping me do the job and without him I'd have a hard time doing this.
So here goes.
First things first  is to remove the motor out of the bike.
I'm not going to detail that bit to much but you need to strip the radiator and exhaust headers and assorted odds and sods off the bike .
It's important to loosen the swingarm bolt as this will release the tension of the frame on both sides of the rear motor mounts
No need to take off the throttle bodies.