News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Daytona Headers

Started by Tomas03, March 18, 2010, 08:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomas03

I read somewhere that someone has used Daytona header pipes and one of the original cans on a Steamer.  Can anyone enlighten me as to whether 955 daytona headers fit or do you have to stick with the early Daytona 900's :?:
Daniel
Home is where the tiger is.

1998 Volcanic Red Steamer
1972 Honda XL250 MotoSport (the original dual purpose)
1982 Kwaka Gpz 550 race bike
1983 Mercedes 230TE wagon tow vehicle

Mustang

the 955 headers need serious modification to work , you would be better off making a set from scratch ............don't know if the original daytona headers will work though , I'm thinking they might as the early bikes were all modular meaning they shared many parts with ease .
you have to bend the exit on the pipe though to get it to line up with the steamer can.

Tomas03

94 Daytona headers definitely work as one of our (I think Scandinavian - I can never find the link when I need it) Steamer brothers on this site has done it and used one of the original mufflers as well.  Tight fit but works well.
Unfortunately Down Under 94 Daytonas are as rare as 98 Steamers, you will find more rocking horse poo  :cry: so I was wondering about later Daytonas.  :?
As always thanks for the input.

PS: Just did a 2500km ride and your footpegs worked a treat Mustang. 8)
Daniel
Home is where the tiger is.

1998 Volcanic Red Steamer
1972 Honda XL250 MotoSport (the original dual purpose)
1982 Kwaka Gpz 550 race bike
1983 Mercedes 230TE wagon tow vehicle

harre

Maybe it was me. I'm Scandinavian and have tried the Daytona 900 headers on my Steamer. One note of caution though: the wrecker told me he thought they were from a Daytona, so thay may have been from another 900. The fit was not as good as with the original pipes, but the sump guard will go back with some swearing. I planned to use one of the original end cans, but now I have decided to keep the originals untouched and use a Tiger 955i end can if I find one. As Mustang pointed out, you'll need a short connection tube between the original end can and the daytona header pipes to get a good fit.

Nick Calne

I have a 955 daytona and a steamer.  I'll have a look at them both in the morning.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

harre

After some googling I realize that my "Daytona" headers are probably from a T509 Street Triple 97-98. The headers from the T595 Daytona -97 also look promising, however they don't have the same shiny appearance (probably because they are hidden behind fairings). The Daytona headers are pretty frequent on eBay and are also possible to detach from the collector. There are many aftermarket slip-ons for these downpipes, but I couldn't  find any with high-mount at a reasonable cost, so I have decided to try a used 1050 Tiger exhaust since it has a long midpipe that allows for some cutting and welding (the total cost of the full system is now around $150). I hope it will fit (the 1050 silencer is pretty wide). I may not loose so much weight, but I will free some space for the tool tube on the left hand side.

fishnbiker

Ooooh, that looks sweet. Still looking for a new can?

My 3 into 1 with GSXR can now sounds more like my old BMW K75 with a Luftmeister. More of a roar than a growl.

You made a comment about the unpolished finish. I had mine Jet Hot coated a year ago, low gloss black (it shows a bit mudded in this photo). 1st photo shows with an altered engine guard with a belly pan that actually protects everything.  2nd photo shows burned off high heat paint 2 years ago.

Another thread here has photos of Jet Hot in silver.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

harre

Thanks, but I don't need another can (right now). My new 1050 can is in the mail from UK. I had it delivered to my home address so I won't be able to try it on until I get back in 8 days. I have not planned to paint the downpipes, maybe I will try to polish them. It will be exiting to listen to the new sound (if this works that is). I don't expect a roar, but higher growl would be nice. I will also step up to #100 main jets (they only ones I could find at the time) and raise the needles 0,5 mm. I'll see if that gives the Steamer a little more punch.

Bob Tosi

Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

fishnbiker

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"Love this stuff!
98 Steamer, Steamers Rule ......  Especially 95's
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

harre

The 1050 silencer has arrived and it was heavier than I thought. The fit is not very good. I would have to cut the link pipe and make is shorter. The link pipe seems to have the same diameter as the header and thus I would have to make some kind of smaller diameter linking tube for the assembly.  For the moment my enthusiasm went up in flames, mostly because the weight saving is too small. It would be nice to have either a Daytona or Speed Triple high mount low-weight exhaust instead, less hassle with a direct fit. Any suggestions are welcome. I include some blurry pics of the quick tryout.

Bob Tosi

Has anybody taken a stock can, sliced off the ends and gutted it then welded it back together?

Mustang

you are not going to save much weight and you won't make any power .just noise . kinda like a harley . :D

Bob Tosi

Quoteyou are not going to save much weight and you won't make any power .just noise . kinda like a harley .  

Is that smart ass remark in reference to what I posted?  Mr Mustang Sir!

Mustang

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"Is that smart ass remark in reference to what I posted?  Mr Mustang Sir!

seriously though there is nothing in them to gut just a tube with a steel plate on the end ............you won't make them any lighter .........just a lot louder .
and there will be absolutely no increase in performance , just an increase in noise .