News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 1200 mergefest **all 1200 chat here

Started by Bixxer Bob, September 10, 2011, 11:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Well from the 19th of next month us Brits will be able to see it in the flesh and make our own minds up,although I've always found bikes look different when outside the dealer as opposed to glitz of a stand at a bike show.

Tigertriple

Seen on eBay tonight. Any takers  :?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tiger ... _870wt_689

Or how about this one :shock: well priced or what :?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TIGER ... 1125wt_937
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

blacktiger

Quote from: "Tigertriple"Seen on eBay tonight. Any takers  :?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tiger ... _870wt_689

Or how about this one :shock: well priced or what :?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TIGER ... 1125wt_937

So those two say it's a 1215cc. I like the way it looks and I don't care that it's got elements of this and elements of that in its styling. Still, I won't be buying because this thing is going to weigh something similar to the Girlies and that's too much to go "Exploring" on. I'll stick with my 800XC.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

+1

I love it but I'm not sure I can justify the cost of replacing the Girly which is bought, paid for, and depreciating nicely.

Also, I recall a post on a thread I used to follow where a guy on a ratty Pan European was on a ferry with a guy with a fully-loaded, brand new Gold Wing.  The 'Wing rider was enthusing about his shiney new bike whilst sneering at the ratty Pan. After a while the Pan rider summed up the situation perfectly;  "So, comparing bike for bike, for your 20-odd thousand extra dollars you got built-in satnav and a morbid fear of getting it scratched"?

Chris Canning also summed it up quite well when I was at his place last; if you buy a bike and hang onto it like he and I do, it becomes pointless trading it as it's not worth anything.  My 12-yr-old high mileage 'Bird is worth about £800 trade-in and the Girly is, I guess, £3k max.  I guess it's a heart not head decision.  I'd like to replace both with one that does everything, ie the Explorer but, as Chris pointed out after his recent debacle on the Le-Mans trip, it's nice to have a back-up in the shed.  There again, if I ever get round to doing some off-road training then, like BT, I'd like to have the 800 Tiger's ability to wander.  So until I know my own mind, I'm stuck.

As we used to say in the military, "Indecision is the key to flexibility" :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NKL

I see why they didn't do the 800 in blue now.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Sin_Tiger

I'd definately have bought one :wink: wait a minute I did, now where did I leave it :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

John Stenhouse

I've stuck my name down for a test ride at least
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"I've stuck my name down for a test ride at least

:new_popcornsmiley
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

CoolHandLuke

I am a little disappointed they didn't keep the 30 litre tank it was wearing when it was photographed in Germany.  All the same, I think it should be a good bike.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"I am a little disappointed they didn't keep the 30 litre tank it was wearing when it was photographed in Germany.  All the same, I think it should be a good bike.

Accessories dear boy  :wink:  :wink:  that's how BMW make most of theor money and John's bpys are catching on. I might be wrong but I think the 800 is the first Trumpet that has had crash bars offered as an official accessory, look at the growth of Triumph hogh end merchandise with big names in recent years.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Accessories dear boy  :wink:  :wink:

Yup. It's amazing what the psychology of someone who wants "something special" for their bike for a few hundred can do to the profitability of a sale. While I love my Thunderbike bars, I'm convinced they cost about $50 to produce, with a pricetag of over $500, that's a pretty high margin. Now I know the fixed costs to gear up to manufacture is still high (I suspect 10-50 grand for the Thunderbike bars), that's only 100 sales before you're in the black at the most.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"I am a little disappointed they didn't keep the 30 litre tank it was wearing when it was photographed in Germany.  All the same, I think it should be a good bike.

I know it's pedantic but it was the SOF and Triumph had a dicky fit  :D

Chris Canning

It's all relative as they say,I'll certainley go to the NEC show and have a decent look at it which I certainley didn't with the 800,and maybe have a test ride,although it could be a separate subject as I've test ridden early Triumph demo bikes and they ain't stock production  :roll: ,both the 885i I rode in 99 and the 955i Tiger in 2001 were absolute missiles in comparsion to production stuff,oh and I include an early sprint as well.

I'm in a different situation because my 955 isn't stock,it turns like a mini moto even fully loaded with a 17" wheel and the thought of going back to a poxy cheap production shock fills me with nothing but horror after years on Ohlins,and while I enjoyed riding a 1200 Multistrada and it was better,not by much it wasn't,never mind the £10/12 grand gap.

The best mod I've ever done to my 955 is the extra tooth on the engine sprocket and thats not going to be an option(assuming it might need it) on the 1200 with shaft drive,at this point in time put me in the might be interested at a later date corner,but untill either my 955 goes bang or KTM bring out their 1200 SMT and I've had a good chance to look at that,I'll keep my 955 and the £10 grand in the bank.

And as BB has already been into, the cheapest way to run things is have more than one bike,there's no boardom factor,which is always the killer with one bike.

Sin_Tiger

One bike  :?  You mean only one  :shock: you canny be serious laddie  :cry:

Chris Canning

Good article in todays MCN about it,oddly enough a real life photo looks better than the PR glitzy version,I didn't realise it's fly by wire,which will be interesting,the Multistrada is,and I didn't realise when I took one out and takes a little ajusting too,I had it on the stop 3/4 times in the first couple of miles and then on the motorway was warp speed,like very very mild turbo lag.