News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger - R1200GS comparison

Started by ridin gaijin, December 15, 2004, 01:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: "TigerPilot"BMW surpases where it matters most, Design (From an Engineering stand point; of course I would not be talking if I wasn't an Engineer my self),

Is that why the drive shaft on my R100GS only lasted 20000 miles a piece? And the "airhead" gearboxes need a rebuild every 25~30000 miles? I did over 50000 miles on it (11500 to 63000) so I know it's a regular thing!

And for those that say "don't bring money into it", the saving of £2500 is a big part of ANY buying equation.

For me? Never again!

MikeBenzon

My $.02

I have owned three Triumphs now, Sprint ST, Trophy 1200 and now the 05 Tiger. I sold the Trophy for  03 R1150RT which was a very nice bike but, it just wasn't a good fit for me. I didn't like the boxer motor (designed in the '20's ?). It lacked power, especially below 4K rpm, and was buzzy above 4K rpm. It surged and my dealer told me it was the way I rode it. Everything else about the bike I loved. I traded the RT for a 1999 LT. Too heavy of a bike for me. If it were not for my wife, I would sell it or trade back for an RT.

When I decided I want an adventure bike I did not hesitate to go for the Tiger. I knew that I preferred the 955 engine over BMW's boxer motor. I absolutely love the looks of the Tiger. It handles great on the road and does everything I am capable on the dirt roads. Triumph luggage is way better than BMW's for capacity and looks.

The bottom line? The Triumph works for me and that is what matters most. If you're a BMW fan then that's where you should spend your money. Life is too short to settle for less than what you want.

Here's my lifetime quote, "If you don't have it, you haven't wanted it bad enough".
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/

Sasquatch

BMW's engine design is almost as old as Harley's.

That said, it is a good design (unlike Harley, that whole primary balance thing...).

BMW is severely lacking in their follow through on the design though.  I have no problem with shaft drive, but why is it not lasting much longer than a chain?  40k on a rear drive is about the norm with a GS.  This is unacceptable.  With a chain I can see when it is wearing out, and if I choose to go farther, it is my own fault.  With the BMW, it is good one day, toast the next.  Never mind that you may be somewhere in lower elbonia.....

ABS on bikes destined for off road should be banned.  Not only that, when the ABS fails, the brakes stop working.  Sounds like a case for the NTSB.  Did you watch the "Long Way Around"?  When the camera man's bike frame failed, and had to be rewelded.  They poped the ABS computer by not disconnecting it before welding (did not say that, but as an engineer and mechanic, it was totally obvious to me what happened).  After the reweld, the brakes quit working.  I can understand having the ABS function stop, but having the brakes fail.... Shame on BMW.

Also, if you can get a BMW mechanic at a dealer to tell you the truth, you should see the stack of TSB's and recalls the new 1200gs has on it that needs to be done before even selling it.  My mechanic buddy is the Triumph and BMW mechanic at our local dealer and he also states that dealing with BMW is a pain in the rear.

I'll keep my Tiger, thank you.

Kill Switch

I sat on a GS the other day....started it up.  Promply got off.  Just awful. There is no way that ride will match my Tiger.

Patrick the Scot

QuoteI'll keep my Tiger, thank you.

I think BMW does a great job in marketing itself as the premier auto/moto machine in terms of performance and reliability.  It is ironic that, in practice, the reverse is often the case.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Sasquatch

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"
QuoteI'll keep my Tiger, thank you.

I think BMW does a great job in markieting itself as the premier auto/moto machine in terms of performance and reliablity.  It is ironic that, in practice, the reverse is often the case.

Sadly, I think you are right.  The tigers have had, what, one catastrophic recall with the fuel fittings?  I know there has been a couple of TSB's and the clutch cable recall (955 tigers), but none of those are catastrophic, "I can't ride anymore" failures.

Bikes are machines, and they are going to have problems.  That is a given, but BMW really baffles me, and their owners compound the baffling.  They portray their bikes as the most reliable bikes on the road, yet almost all have surging problems, most have had a rear drive failure if it has any miles on it, alternator failurs, front shocks are junk, the list goes on....

Sasquatch

Quote from: "BigDave"

:-#

Patrick the Scot

Que este?
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

BigDave

Nevermind me, I am just watching the show.

as you were....

Sasquatch

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"

Que este?

An explination...

Brother "BigDave" converted from a Tiger to the world of the GS.  He had a very bad experience with the Tiger and his local dealer.  His tiger failed, and it took an abnormally long time to get sorted out by his dealer.  This left a bad taste in his mouth about the Tiger.  In his defense, it would have done the same for me.

So, he is just sitting patiently, eating his popcorn and reading about us bashing his favorite bike.   :lol:

Mudhen

Quote from: "tigerjay"ABS on bikes destined for off road should be banned.

Isn't there a switch so you can shut it off when you go off road but still have it as an amazing safety device on the street?

I thought I read that somewhere...
\'96 Steamer

BigDave

As a clarification, I did indeed have a bad Tiger, but Triumph and the dealer - Erico Motorsports in Denver were spot on. (you Brittish chaps like that?)  

You are not bashing my favorite bike as the 1200 is not my favorite. I like my 1150 Adv (in black no less).

I have learned at least 3 things from these debates on this website:

1) as a GS owner, STAY OUT OF THEM.  :lol:

2) I firmly believe the Tiger and any of the GS varieties have their own place as they are indeed different bikes with different purposes. They both have some cross-over appeal but overall, they are intended for slightly different audiences.  

3) It doesnt really matter to me what anyone rides as long as they have at least as much fun as I do when I ride.

Jay, even without the problems I had with my Tiger you know I still had my eye on the Adv. That was a lusting that was going to end up in a relationship with or without problems with the "ex."

BigDave

Quote from: "Mudhen"
Quote from: "tigerjay"ABS on bikes destined for off road should be banned.

Isn't there a switch so you can shut it off when you go off road but still have it as an amazing safety device on the street?

I thought I read that somewhere...

yah, there is a switch. I disable ABS everytime i am off road.  I love ABS on the street.

fitele

The messages everyone is posting about the GS vs the Tiger is pretty evenly balanced. For us US riders it is interesting that the UJM guies have not jumped on the "tralie" market. Lets see Honda had their Afirican Twin and Kawasaki has their KLE500 in South Afirica. For longevitiy, the core is reduced to rider maintenance and care. I own a 1996 Ducati 900 with 69,758 miles on it. The only services on it is belt replacement and valve adjustments, and three clutch assemblies. I alos own a ST4S and a new 05/ Tiger. We selected the Tiger for price valuen and I just couldn't get past the "busy" looks of the GS. The GS family has a dedicated following and the drive out price, you have to be dedicated. We plan on taking the Tiger to the 05 RAT rally in Hot Springs, and running it up the Dempster Highway to Tuktoyaktuk Yukon. Does anyone have experience with outfitting the Tiger for "B roads?
Tiger Running

05 Tiger

03\' Ducati ST4S

96\' Ducati 900CR

96\' DR650