News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Brake fluid level

Started by RaiderJunky, December 16, 2004, 01:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaiderJunky

Hello, I've been lurking on this message board since June.  I bought an '05 tiger in July and I now have a question to post.  On my front brake fluid reservoir, the fluid level is just below the line indicating that it is low.  I haven't noticed any leaks.  Is this simply due to colder weather and brake wear?  Should I ad more fluid ASAP?  I'm going to check the rear this weekend and also check the pads.  It just seems strange to me that the level would be so low because I remember the window initially being filled with fluid.

On another note, this is the first bike I've owned and I've had very little experience riding other bikes.  I have close to 3,000 miles my Tiger and absolutely love it!  I have little to compare this bike to, but it has done everything I've asked of it so I have not complaints.

RaiderJunky

52blackshadow

As your brake pads wear, the pistons push further out from the calipers and the fluid from the reservoir drops down to fill the space.

If you top up the reservoir, then decide the brake pads need replacing, then it is either hard to push the pistons back in to make room for the thicker pads because the reservoir will be overfull, or you remove the lid of the reservoir to allow the pistons to push back in and end up with brake fluid all over your bodywork.

Check the pads first, if they are really low then replace them and the fluid level will rise again.  If they are OK for a bit longer then top up the fluid.

Cheers,

Shadow.
Ride safe!!!!!

Quote from: "52blackshadow"Check the pads first, if they are really low then replace them and the fluid level will rise again.  If they are OK for a bit longer then top up the fluid.

Cheers,

Shadow.

I agree. But I wouldn't think you've done a set of pads in 3000 miles. If you have then they are probably binding so get your dealer to check them.

Check for leaks again, then top up as required. Always check the levels with the handle bars on the level and front wheel pointing straight ahead.

RaiderJunky

Blacktiger wrote:

>Always check the levels with the handle bars on the level and front >wheel pointing straight ahead.

Wow!  What a difference that makes.  My fluid levels are fine.  I'm an idiot.  Thanks for this simple yet profound tip.  And thank you Shadow for your advise, I'll do that if my fluid levels ever get low!

RaiderJunky

aka Paranoid Mechnically Challenged Fool