News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

6'4 New Rider

Started by Rapier, October 03, 2011, 03:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapier

My 21 year old brother-in-law wants to get a motorcycle. He has had a scooter for a few years and wants a motorcycle now.

First I hear about it is when the wife tells me he is looking at a 250 Ninja...  :shock: What the hell is he thinking is my 1st official response. I found out it is more a bike of 'opportunity' than of passion
So I need some opinions here, he is on limited budget 2K max so used bike most likely. At 6'4 can anyone recommend a street bike that will not be an accordion impression, and ideally maxing at 650 cc's. He IS 21, and is the personality of throttle on / throttle off. Since attempting to wait until he is more mature is not gonna work, I figure maybe I can point him in a direction that he wont kill himself on.

I am thinking one of the Suzuki dual sports or similar.
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Mustang

KLR kwakasaki

or if you can find a cheap used 2001 bonneville they are most excellent beginner bikes and you don't have to run out and upgrade when ya master it .

PeteH

Or even a KLE Kawasaki,

Original ones are a bit quicker but then likely to be a bit tatier...cheap, reliable and fun  :D
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Colonel Nikolai

Agree with Mustang. The older KLR, not the new one.

I've never ridden a bonnie but they look kinda heavy. But then this guy's young and big (strong) so it might be OK for him.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Chris Canning

Sadly here in the Uk the days of folk being prepared to take it slow and learn a trade and progress from a small bike through the ranks are long gone,and hence why the standard of bike riding in the Uk is an utter disgrace,the south east excepted because the traffic is so bad they have to ride all year round.

Hence the expression 'All the gear no idea'  :(

If your man is serious about bike riding,why not a 250,he'll have plenty of time to progress in the future,although you never stop learning, when the S hits the fan it's gut instinct that keeps you alive you learn that at the begining.

While in Le-Mans a couple of weeks ago talking to a Brit about riding,'How long have you been riding I ask' 16 years was the reply,'I'm just starting to get a handle on the job' I was impressed I have to say.

Tigertriple

Dare I suggest a Honda 650 Transalp a good choice for a taller rider and a good reliable bike.
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

Nick Calne

How about a Yamaha Tenere 660?  Do you have them in the US?  That's a cool looking bike, not too fast, suits a tall person, can cope with being dropped / newbie abuse...  and his next logical step in a few years time would be .... something like a a tiger 800!  Winner!  8)
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Chris Canning

I've had this two years now,great fun,but the lad will still need some idea of how to ride a bike before getting involved with one, slow it ain't.

Rapier

Great!
Thanks for all the awesome input.

Now I just have to look for a "clue X 4" to hit him with.
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

topher0268

Quote from: "Mustang"KLR kwakasaki

or if you can find a cheap used 2001 Bonneville they are most excellent beginner bikes and you don't have to run out and upgrade when ya master it .

Rode an 05 Bonnie for about 4 years. Not my first bike but by FAR one of my favorites for it's "just get on and ride relaxed" personality. Good weight, reasonable seat height and neutral reach, decent brakes, suspension ... well okay factory suspension,  and limited but usable HP.

Make no mistake though if the power bug strikes him there's PLENTY of opportunity to hop those up and make some pretty aggressive machines.

Definitely worth a look.
2000 Tiger "Girly in Blue"
1976 Honda CB550 F (getting cafe treatement)