News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Adjust suspension for off-road?

Started by wonko the sane, December 18, 2004, 07:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonko the sane

First let me say I did a search and could not find the answer to this question in previous posts/forums. I'm a street rider although I have a Gas Gas trials bike to play around on. This part of Illinois is too flat to challenge the bike (challenging me - that's another matter), but I hope those of you riding on rocky terrain can answer this. Do you change pre-load settings or any other suspension settings when venturing off-road?

My thinking (possibly all wrong) is that a softer suspension and possibly even less air pressure in the tires would make it easier to deal with rocky terrain.  That is, softer than would be optimum for the street.  In all of the ride reports I've looked at, nobody mentions making any changes for the type of terrain.
The world is a book, and those who don\'t travel, read only a page.

St. Augustine

Sasquatch

Yes I do.  I carry a 12v air compressor for exactly this reason.  I prefer to run 30psi front and 34psi rear in the tires off road.  I also speed up the rebound on the rear shock for better handling on the wash board roads.

Mudhen

Are there any real off road forks for Tigers?

How about these?  Mmmm...

\'96 Steamer

Sasquatch

Someday, when I get around to it, I am going to see if I can modify a set of true off road forks to the Tiger.  Maybe a set of WP upside down units.  Just would need to get two right forks so I can still run dual disks.

Might never get around to it, but it should not be that hard.  Heck, If I could find a wrecked 950 KTM I'd just graft on the entire front end.

Mudhen

I don't know enough about the mechanics of it all...I'm a bike noob, and my current ride doesn't use a nice traditional setup like that, unfortunately.

Is it the triple clamps that attach the forks to the bike?  So you'd need a new set of those fabricated?
\'96 Steamer

Mudhen

While I'm asking dumb questions...what would be the benefit of going with a fancy setup like that, as opposed to buying the WP fork springs?  Would it be worth it?
\'96 Steamer

Sasquatch

If you are an average rider, and don't venture off road much, just put springs in your forks and maybe a set of Race Tech emulators.  You'll be just fine.

I have raced dirt bikes and sport bikes for so many years that having a bike without fully adjustable suspension is driving me nuts.  So nice to be able to firm it up with some clickers for a spirited canyon blast, then soften it way down for a dirt road ride.

Yes, I am assuming that triple clamps will need to be changed.