News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil Pan Leak - check those bolts

Started by walker, November 06, 2011, 03:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walker

Fixed it myself - but figure it might help people here.

Had a minor oil leak - looked like it was possibly coming from the drain plug (I disagree with the torque spec for it - I use around 18-20ft/lbs with a new aluminum washer each time)

drained and refilled the sump, new washer, still was leaking.

Checked the torque on the sump bolts - only 1 was the correct 18nm. Removed each, drop of loctite, and then torqued. The 3 around the oil filter I think were the real problem, but nipped them up too.

Left side case was correct, right side case was not to spec (9nm). loctite on each of those as well.

known issue from other forums, but the slight drip was annoying.

NOTE: the 3 bolts around the filter seem to go right into the sump area, unlike the other bolts... so if any of the 3 around the filter come loose or fall out, you could lose a good amount of oil (might mistake that for "burning oil").

Interestingly enough, never had this problem with the 2006 Girly with the same engine cases.