News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Opinion on new 2005 model?

Started by T_Phil, December 22, 2004, 07:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T_Phil

Hi All,

I am new on this forum,  my name is Phil and I currently own a T100.  I am planning to buy a Tiger in the spring as a traveling bike.  I have read some good reviews on the 2005 model but I have also read a readers's letter to a Belgian bike magazine reporting a ticking noise in the front suspension and the engine cutting off when stopping.  Both problems reportedly could not be solved by the dealer.

Are there owners of a 2005 model on the forum and what's your opinion on the bike.

Phil

abell

There are a few 2004.5 and 2005 owners here.

I haven't heard of the problems you mention before. My 2005 only has 1500 miles on it but it performs flawlessly. The bike feels much lighter and more flickable than it has a right to, and plenty of power throughout the range. It is also utterly comfortable for me or with a pillion, over all kinds of surfaces and distances.

I bought mine as a travelling machine and also have an 01 Daytona.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

T_Phil

Quote from: "abell"There are a few 2004.5 and 2005 owners here.

I haven't heard of the problems you mention before. My 2005 only has 1500 miles on it but it performs flawlessly. The bike feels much lighter and more flickable than it has a right to, and plenty of power throughout the range. It is also utterly comfortable for me or with a pillion, over all kinds of surfaces and distances.

I bought mine as a travelling machine and also have an 01 Daytona.

Glad to hear it,  I didn't really think there was any truth in it or maybe it's just one of those constantly complaining guys,  but it makes you worry a bit.  Anyway in march when my dealer gets the demo's and I like the ride, a purchase will be made.

Phil

violin

Hi T_Phil

Had the 2005 since june this year took it all the way to kefalonia and back to the U.K.

France, Switzerland, Italy not one noise, rattle, misfire, just one amazing bike :D Dont always believe what you read in the bike press......

Take the test ride, you'll know what suits you, what feels right,

Also had the missus on the back and the kitchen sink !!!!! So the journey was never going be easy :D  (just joking she was fantastic and the missus was as well)
WHEN THE TIGER SALAAMS, THE END OF THE WORLD ARRIVES..........

robbo

Havent managed a trip abroad yet but have done 9800 miles in the past 8 months and took the wife and a full set of luggage + tent around Scotland 1200 miles in the pissing rain without a problem.

The Tiger may not be everybodyÌs cup of tea but I havenÌt had a single day so far where I thought there might be something wrong with the bike, or where I felt like the bike had let me down in any way.

get one you cant go wrong
best Regards

Robbo

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "T_Phil"Hi All,

a ticking noise in the front suspension and the engine cutting off when stopping.

Phil

I've had my 05 at 100 mph on the highway, all over the dirt on washboard bumps, wet & icy roads and all kinds in between...and that's just the first 1000 miles. Haven't heard any ticking noises--though that may be cause I can't hear much at all over the wind noise, when at speed--and the only time the engine cuts off when stopping is if I put the kickstand down while still in gear. Which I always do on purpose, of course. :roll:  Later, when I start dropping the machine in swamps and off cliffs, I do expect more of that.

Now, this is an orange one, which I understand are more robust as well as faster than the other colors. What I would do is, if there's a bike (or car or whatever) that you like, and the machine in question isn't universally loathed by the press and its users, just get on one and try. If you make the machine your own you will fall in love with it; and as with any lover, you'll soon learn to forgive any idiosyncracies that emerge. Unless of course you can force it to change.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Badger

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"...Now, this is an orange one, which I understand are more robust as well as faster than the other colors...

And don't forget much better looking.  :wink:
Growing Old Disgracefully

cbxtc6

I took one for a test ride a couple weeks ago - back when it was a balmy 35F in Chicago - and here's what I thought:

- First, I'm only 5'8", and thought I'd be too short for the Tiger.  It was tall, but not unmanagable.  It does feel very well sorted once moving, and I was very comfortable within a few miles.  I hopped a few curbs, took it through a park playground sand area, and hit every pothole I could find.  This bike is surprisingly easy to ride.  I then took it out on the highway, since I'll use it occasionally to commute.  The wind blast was loud, but I'm sure a bigger windshield will help here.  Power is everywhere.  Low, high, middle - I also have an '02 955i Daytona, and I am a bit biased towards the big triple engine.  Smooth and powerful.  

For comparison, I also have ridden the KLR650 - which is another great bike, but more dirt-oriented - I need more highway capabilities.

I have ridden the GS as well, but that thing is, and feels like, a TANK. I'd be scared in a gravel pariking lot with the BMW.

I'm shopping for a Tiger  now.  Should have either an '04 (Black)or '05 (Fast Orange) by Spring!!  

I already have a Canada and Mexico trip planned for 2005!  

Can you say "Happy New Year!!!"?  I knew you could...

:lol:

T_Phil

Thanks all for your replies,  I feel much more confident about the bike now.   I think my Bonnie will have a playmate sometime in the spring.

Phil

Brock

Ignore what they say about Orange...Black is yer colour. BLACK.

But it'd have to be an '04 or earlier 'cos the buggers don't do it anymore.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

violin

NO NO NO......

SILVER is the colour, much less drag coeffecient than any other colours, also deflects any solar radiation that may cause heating of the fuel thus slowing the fluid burn process within the chamber this means downhill with the wind behind you and if travelling south ( its more downhill ) the silver tiger is a tad faster than all other colours. :wink:

Sorry i have a tendancy to bulls**t  :wink:

Merry Xmas one and all and may santa bring toys for the big cats. :D  :D

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Brock"Ignore what they say about Orange...Black is yer colour. BLACK.

But it'd have to be an '04 or earlier 'cos the buggers don't do it anymore.

I think one of your countrymen wrote something about this...it was a while ago tho...I think he called it natural selection, amigo...?

:D   :D   :D   :D   :D
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

T_Phil

Quote from: "violin"NO NO NO......

SILVER is the colour, much less drag coeffecient than any other colours, also deflects any solar radiation that may cause heating of the fuel thus slowing the fluid burn process within the chamber this means downhill with the wind behind you and if travelling south ( its more downhill ) the silver tiger is a tad faster than all other colours. :wink:

Sorry i have a tendancy to bulls**t  :wink:

Merry Xmas one and all and may santa bring toys for the big cats. :D  :D

I will have to inform you that the missus says racing green so that's what it will be.  As far as "fast" is concerned they don't call it "Racing" green for nothing.

Phil

abell

>I will have to inform you that the missus says

>racing green so that's what it will be.

It is one of the factory's best paint colors and works well on the Tiger, very tasteful.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

violin

Funny how we continue to be hunter gatherers making major desicions about world politics and the shape of the social economic climate we live in but when she who must be obeyed says racing green what can we do but agree (we bring home the mammoth but she hold the purse strings)

Gaijin you were right, all down to natural selection, hey ho............