News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Opinion on new 2005 model?

Started by T_Phil, December 22, 2004, 07:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "abell"It is one of the factory's best paint colors and works well on the Tiger, very tasteful.

Abell, God bless you, I have never seen the words "Tiger" (as in Triumph) and "tasteful" in the same sentence before!! You are a pioneer.

:)
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Badger

Quote from: "Brock"Ignore what they say about Orange...Black is yer colour. BLACK.

But it'd have to be an '04 or earlier 'cos the buggers don't do it anymore.

Obviously not a good colour as it has been discontinued. In fact I think Obsolete springs to mind.  :wink:

Quote from: "violin"NO NO NO......

SILVER is the colour, much less drag coeffecient than any other colours.....

The only reason a Silver one could be quicker as it is a little lighter. This is because it is only in primer. They forgot the topcoat.  :lol:
Growing Old Disgracefully

pauljones1227

Definately Silver, more aerodynamic I've been told and despite what most people opinions are, the new wheels look much better ( modern ) than the dirty spokes

Roy

Hello All!

I would like to weigh in on the discussion.  I was a proud owner of a Roulette Green 2002 Tiger until this past June.  The Green Tiger was laid to rest under a Ford Ranger SUV.  I replaced it with a 2005 Orange (Orange being the fastest and all!) Tiger in July.  It did have the fuel injection problem with stalling.  It also has a mysterious "knock" in the front.  The stalling problem was solved by installing the perfomance pipe and changing the fuel map.  The knock is still there.  It is not the steering head bearings.  I think it is a component under the fairing that makes the noise when going over rough stuff.

I have 8700 miles on it.  None of the mentioned problems are even close to making me unhappy with the Tiger.  If I get run over again tommorow, I will buy another.  

Roy

T_Phil

Quote from: "Roy"Hello All!

If I get run over again tommorow, I will buy another.  

Roy

Let's hope if you ever get run over  that you will be able to buy a new Tiger.  Better not try it though, stay on your wheels.

Phil

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Roy"It also has a mysterious "knock" in the front.  The stalling problem was solved by installing the perfomance pipe and changing the fuel map.  The knock is still there.  It is not the steering head bearings.  I think it is a component under the fairing that makes the noise when going over rough stuff.

Roy

That is the only problem I've had in 3000 plus miles.  In another thread this has been discussed, and it was the concensus that it was some sort of component behind the fairing that jiggles enough to make a clunking sound.  I thought it was the headset at first, but everthing is in good shape.  I only notice this clunking when I ride off the sidwalk/curb and onto the street.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Quote from: "Roy"It also has a mysterious "knock" in the front.  Roy

I thought the other thread came to the conclusion that it was the fork springs cluncking inside the legs on big bumps.

ChrisN

I've had my 05 just a few weeks now, having previously put 10k miles on an 04 before that. It's still a little early to make fully informed comments but I can't ignore the thread title.

What did strike me was the new bike definately has a "fully-sorted" feel to it over the 04. The new frame geometry and suspension set-up definately provide a taughter ride which may favour those wishing to push it a little. I'm not sure if this is an improvement for big-milage / laid-back touring, and I'm still coming to terms with the "modern" alloy wheels....

I too have the knocking sound in the front-end which is a little worrying. I've been told it could be the forks, loose brake pads, loose ignition switch, or something loose in the fairing. I certainly intend to find out and correct it if possible. One thing no-one's mentioned is the new bike doesn't have the burbly-backfire the 04 had, a characteristic which I really liked. The dealer said some mod had been made to eliminate this following complaints from owners of other Triumph models which share this engine ?

As for colour, mine as you know is BRG. It's not the fastest because I ride it!! But it's certainly the most attractive factory colour with the new silver frame, and I'm really surprised Black is no longer available.

I still hope to offer a more objective comparison when the new bike has loosened up a little more and covered more miles.
Chris

pauljones1227

I've had my Silver 05 just over 6 months now, I have done 5000 miles riding into London everyday.

My 6 month report is the bike feels so stable and balanced compared to most other bikes I have ridden lately. ( especially a TDM 900... horrid )

It seemed very big at first compared to the XT600 it replaced but got  used to that very quickly. It goes like thunder which upsets a lot of CBR600's and the like that seem to have no idea of the performance of this bike.

I tested the 05 against the 04 before buying and the 05 felt much tighter and sportier

46 mpg in heavy traffic, burns no oil at all and my exhaust gurgles wonderfully on decceleration. Unlike others I also like the alloys over the spokes and Silver ones are faster because the colour acts like a solar panel so it is faster when its sunny, that what those black leads are connecting the petrol tank to the engine management!!!!

If I had to niggle about a few things they are....... still a tad heavy, awful dial illumination, I have the clonking noise from the front which Triumph tell me is the sliders inside the forks and my rear brake pads lasted 2000 miles, no idea why. Since the pads were changed the back brakes feel very spongy but am waiting till my 6k service to get it checked.

Also the wind buffeting noise from the screen was awful at first, I improved it by cutting down a Cee Baileys making it slightly higher and better looking than a sports screen.

Would I buy another one ??? Yes, definately, unless something else is released or KTM get a little less plastic and put more than a tissue on for a seat.

Buy one, you will love it as every other Tiger owner on this forum does...

Chris Canning

A set of pads in 2000 miles??? jesus, my 955 have been across Europe to the Polish border and god knows were else on the way home,a weekend trip to Alp-d-Huez in the French Alps,Southern Spain,Lisbon and home,and a trip across central Europe down to Florence round the Med to Barcelona,and home and with 17,000 on, still has a third of the pads left!!!.

And thats two up carrying a load of gear,but then it is an 01 which might make the difference!!!!

Chris

pauljones1227

Perhaps you could tell my dealer that who told me it was "quite common" or it was me resting my foot on the rear brake....Nope !!!!!

Mr Mistoffelees

Hi PaulJ,

Had that exact same rear brake pad problem on my old 1200 Bandit (+ comments from dealer).

It worked out the rear brake was binding ever so slighty - hardley noticable, in fact i didn't, the mechanic who took it out said they where  :?

One brake strip down and rebuild with new seals later and never a problem again.

Get them checked out  :wink:
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions