News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

855i power

Started by lwad, December 23, 2004, 12:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwad

Been out on the bike a few times now, but mainly on damp roads, and now on new tyres.

So, to save me a bit of time,does anyone know the power delivery on the 855i.  There seems to be smooth power right from the start, but I have not  had chance to play near the red line. I generally stay between 3000 and 5000 then change up.  Is it smooth all the way, or does it get a little more exciting nearer the red line, or is it a waste of time going up there?.  

Would a Triumph off road silencer make much difference?

I suppose, comming from a race orientated thumper enine (Vor 503), anything I ride is going to seem civilised.

Badger

I'm not sure about the 885 but the 955 was very linear from about 4,000 to redline with the standard can and tune. After fitting a race can and appropriate tune there was more power everywhere with a bit of top end rush.  :D
Growing Old Disgracefully

Patrick the Scot

QuoteI suppose, comming from a race orientated thumper engine (Vor 503), anything I ride is going to seem civilized.

The Tiger, when compared to any thumper supermoto, is civilized. Before I bought my Tiger, I came off an '03 Suzuki DRZ 400 dirt bike that I had made street legal, complete with race pipe, carb, clutch, and Thumper Racing 470 bore kit.  Now that bike was so uncivilized in city traffic that the police would pull me over just to look at the beast.  I have since bought my '05 Tiger and have the same sentiments as you do.  I miss the wicked nature of a hopped-up, load-as-hell thumper in traffic. In fact, it can be a very anti-social statement, akin to flipping the middle finger at all the soccer moms in their SUV's and sedans.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Chris Canning

I found that when i fitted a race pipe to my 900i it lost torque noticeably(takeing the collector box of and put the straight through pipe on is what does it)but rev'd out more and gave more hp on the top end,the power was linear all the way to the red line,the difference to the 955 is the red line is 1500 revs higher on the latter bike,which translate in quite a difference in performance but stll has the same steady torque curve.

The trick with the 900i(885) is to put an extra tooth on the gearbox sprocket so you can make the motor streach that little bit extra.

Chris

Chris Canning

What i forgot to say it is possible to just put the race can on and leave the square collector box,when the pipe first came out in 99,the dealers didn't have a clue as to run it with or with out,you'll need to do a little R+D!!!.

Chris