News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How to: Remove the water pump

Started by 97tiger885, December 14, 2011, 02:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

Step 1:  Remove the seat, the left fairing, the left airbox cover and the
tank.

Be sure to remove the left airbox cover before removing the tank.  The petcock may break this cover as you try to remove the tank if the cover is in place.

Step 2:  Drain the coolant.

The water pump is on the left side of the engine in front of the oil filler and in front of and below the clutch slave cylinder.  It has three bolts.  The upper left is 10 mm and is the drain bolt.  Put a bucket under the pump and remove this bolt.

Little coolant will come out until you break the vacuum.  Undo the radiator cap to get the coolant to flow. The radiator cap is on the left front side just behind the left turn signal.  

Step 3:  Remove the upper hose cover

Remove the 2 10mm bolts.  Here is a shot of the cover off the m/c.  

Step 4:  Remove the hose connecting the radiator to the water pipe

This hose is a small hose held on by two plumber's clamps and is to the right of the downpipes as you look from the front of the m/c.  You can remove this without moving anything else.  Here is a shot off the m/c.

Step 5:  Remove the water pipe

This runs from the radiator hose to the front of the water pump.  First, remove the bolt holding the pipe to the front of the engine.

You can make out the head of the bolt above my finger and the open end of the water pipe.  Second, there is  another hose connected to the water pipe about 1/2 down the pipe and above the exhaust.  Undo the hose clamp.

You can see the hose underneath the water pipe and the sump guard.  Third, you must take the 8mm bolt out which holds the pipe to the pump.  This bolt faces forward.   In the above photo, you can just see the head of the bolt sticking out.  Pull the pipe forward separating it from the pump.  A lever may help.  Pry off the hose underneath and the pipe will come free.  There is more coolant in the pipe.  Keep the bucket underneath.  Here is a shot of it off the m/c.

Not a great photo.  Note one of the O-rings to be replaced is on the end of the water pipe.

You can see where the lower hose is connected in this shot.  

Step 6: Undo the upper plumber's clamp on the upper hose.

Do not try to remove the hose.  The clutch slave banjo bolt is in the way.

Step 7:  Remove the clutch slave cover

You can see the banjo bolt blocking the hose in this photo.  Remove the three 8mm bolts.  You do not need to undo the banjo.  Pull the slave cylinder unit out of the way.

Step 8:  Remove the water pump

Remove the final two bolts (8mm?) from the water pump.

Pull the pump out.  As you do so, you should be able to work the upper hose connection loose and remove the pump and hose.  Here is the hose off the pump.

To help me remember where  bolts go when a cover has different sizes I use the following method:

Step 9:  Separate the pump cover from the pump assembly

There are four notches where a screwdriver can be placed to pry the cover off.

Here is what it looks like with the cover and back separated.

You can see the O-ring for the cover.  There is one more O-ring to be replaced.  

I believe Mustang said this is an oil seal.  The three seals look like this.