News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lock Refurb0

Started by Bixxer Bob, January 26, 2012, 11:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Today I started on the ign lock that RF9Rider gave me. To dismantle it without the key and without damaging it meant I had to pick it (3 times as it turns out). I'm now waiting for the trade supplier to comment on whether the wafers are available.  If so I can then rebuild worn locks to the original key thus keeping the same as tank/seat lock etc.

Triumph locks are easy to pick BTW  :roll:

If this one is anything to go by, I could ride off on your pride and joy in less than 5 minutes  :shock:

Disclocks and chains might slow me down a bit though, I have 2 locks and chains for mine. The expensive one picks really easily, the cheap one I've only ever opened once.

But I digress, I'll know in a day or two if I can get the bits :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

Keep us informed.  :)

metalguru

Sounds like things have not progressed much since the old FS & FP series of locks. All down to cost again I suspect!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

To be honest, even the latest locks can be picked with patience.  I have one pick that can open all Audi, VW, Porche and Skoda two tracks in less than 10 secs once you've mastered it.  That's why all new car keys are chipped and many bike makers are going the same way.  Honda's been at it  long time; my 'Bird's nearly 13 yrs old and has a passive chip in it's key.  Lose both keys and you're looking at £1k for a new ECU. :shock:  

Anyway, after a long chat with my supplier today it turns out Triumph source their locks from several suppliers including Kawasaki so I've send the parts off to him this afternoon so that he can have a go at matching them.  It could take up to a week though because he's short handed at the moment.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Not sure if the older Hondas used the same HISS system but I had two new keys for my 05 Vara bought and coded for about 100 quid. I was told that it was possible to code up to 4 "new" keys, if they all got lost then it was time for a new ecu.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

metalguru

The trouble is the more complex locks/immobilisers get, the more devious skumbags get in relieving peeps of their property. I still have a Snap-on lock out kit which used to be widely available and that could get into most vehicles/houses/locks etc which is scary. So to make a system for motorcycles is very difficult as enough muscle power can shift a bike into a chiller van and gone with ones pride and joy, all we can do is deter.
Although I did have a system on my 814 Merc van whereby the fuel line had a manual valve installed in a hidden place. A challenge was set to some friends of mine in the trade to obtain access to the cab and drive it away, fair enough they did get in but were unable to start the engine due to no fuel, this meant that the air compressor didn't run so the brakes would not release.
Food for thought as thieves do not expect the unusual, and sometimes the simple methods can be effective as when a thief is baffled, there is a chance they will leave your pride and joy alone.

Anyway I digress as usual, wouldn't the lock manufacture be given to sub contractors? Just thinking it may be worth your while to contact them directly to obtain the wafers as with experience, the badged vehicle dealers don't normally have a clue as to where to obtain parts of of sub-structures, only the part as a whole.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

iansoady

TBH given the useless nature of bike locks in general I'd be tempted to just take all the wafers and plungers out. If somebody wants it they'll get it and an ignition / steering lock won't stop them.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "metalguru"The trouble is the more complex locks/immobilisers get, the more devious skumbags get in relieving peeps of their property. I still have a Snap-on lock out kit which used to be widely available and that could get into most vehicles/houses/locks etc which is scary. So to make a system for motorcycles is very difficult as enough muscle power can shift a bike into a chiller van and gone with ones pride and joy, all we can do is deter.
Although I did have a system on my 814 Merc van whereby the fuel line had a manual valve installed in a hidden place. A challenge was set to some friends of mine in the trade to obtain access to the cab and drive it away, fair enough they did get in but were unable to start the engine due to no fuel, this meant that the air compressor didn't run so the brakes would not release.
Food for thought as thieves do not expect the unusual, and sometimes the simple methods can be effective as when a thief is baffled, there is a chance they will leave your pride and joy alone.

Anyway I digress as usual, wouldn't the lock manufacture be given to sub contractors? Just thinking it may be worth your while to contact them directly to obtain the wafers as with experience, the badged vehicle dealers don't normally have a clue as to where to obtain parts of of sub-structures, only the part as a whole.

Triumph buy locks in  from other makers, or at least they did in Steamer time. I'm not wasting time with Triumph, I'm going through  a locksmith trade-only  supplier. After opening car doors when keys are lost, this is bread and butter stuff to us.