News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front brake problem

Started by PJD, February 09, 2012, 02:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJD

In the summer I replaced all three discs on the Girly. Stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the calipers and reassembled with new seals. Recently I have been getting a strange grabbing in the front brakes when braking gently. It is less noticeable when braking hard. As I apply the brakes they seem to grab and release, grab and release, so I get very uneven braking. At first I thought it was a warped or poorly seated disc but there is no run-out and I am not getting feedback through the brake lever.
2001 955i

metalguru

When you replaced the disc rotors were they the cheepies or not and were the pads replaced with quality ones?

Why I ask is that if, like me you ride all year then with all the c**p on the road is highly corrosive at this time of year and can lead to many brake problems. As long as the caliper pistons are free to move and retract and the pads free to move in the caliper body, then the usual thing is corrosion on the rotor working face. This is never even and can lead to a very slight high spot on the face, sometimes where the bike is left after use the rotors corrode between the pads and rotor. It can be so slight that it would not be felt through the lever.
Have a look at cast iron discs on a car and see how quick a layer of rust forms after washing them!
The cheepie rotors have a higher ratio of cast iron in the recipie than the dearer ones that have more chrome in the stainless mix.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Loops

What Metalguru said.

I used cheap Stealth discs for a while and they warped within 10k on my 885i.

Now got EBC discs and they seem ok, so far (about 5k)

One other thing to check is if you have any play between the fork sliders and the fork tubes (like mine!) that causes an odd juddering at low speed while braking.

Mine needs new bushes really so maybe I'll fit a 955i set of forks.

Cheers

Loops
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

PJD

Thanks for the replies metalguru and loops. Rather than buying the Triumph parts (which cost a fortune) I got discs from All Bike Engineering in Greenwich. They had been recommended to me. They sent pads along with the discs. I am pretty sure that the discs aren't warped, because I would get some feedback through the lever if they were. Also, I have checked for run-out but they seem to be true.
I don't think it's corrosion either. I use the bike every day and the discs look clean. I know what you mean about the cast iron discs though. I used to have a 1986 Harris Bonneville with cast iron discs and they would go orange in front of your eyes when a spot of water got on them!
The fork idea is interesting. My Girly was registered in 2001, I bought it in 2005 and I have put 50,000 miles on it since then without ever touching the forks. Also, there is a bit of play in the steering head bearing. But surely these problems would have shown up before I changed the discs?
2001 955i

metalguru

In that case check the wheel bearings too.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

ChazzyB

I'd be looking at my head bearings.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

I had what turned out to be warped discs even though I couldn't feel it through the lever and there was no discernable runout.

I fitted EBC floating discs and matching pads and the problem went away.  Just be aware though that the floating discs can give a slight feeling of flutter as you're easing off the brake as you come to a stop.   It's a bit alarming until you get used to it, but doesn't affect the braking force.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: "PJD"I have put 50,000 miles on it since then without ever touching the forks.

Blimey  :shock: ,I suggest a peg on your nose if ever you change the sludge inside  :D

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Chris Canning"
Quote from: "PJD"I have put 50,000 miles on it since then without ever touching the forks.

Blimey  :shock: ,I suggest a peg on your nose if ever you change the sludge inside  :D

I changed the oil in the forks of an SV650 I owned (oil I'd replaced a year or so before): one leg had reasonably clean oil, the other leg's fill was thin, jet black and stank really, really bad! I thought an internal seal must have disintegrated and dissolved. It hadn't, but clearly the hydraulics were so different that one leg really put the oil through it.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

JonRoss

I had a similar sounding issue. Brakes would pulse, but not on hard braking, just on soft braking. Run out checked out fine. I was about to replace the rotors when I stumbled upon someone talking about pad residue on the rotors. I took steel wool to the rotors, and hey presto, pulsing disappeared. Worth a try.
JR

PJD

At the weekend I took the front wheel off and found this on the speedo side of the wheel. Any thoughts as to why it might have broken? I put the 2 Euro coin and the caliper bolt in the photo to show the size.
2001 955i

delecti

the problem is the speedo drive has been fitted incorrectly into the wheel hub and cracks the magnetic disc. buy a new one $165us + postage and make sure it is aligned before placing the axle.

the disk vibration could be caused, as it was on mine 06 by the brake pad I fitted a set of EBC organic pad fixed the problem.

Mark
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I fitted EBC floating discs and matching pads and the problem went away.  Just be aware though that the floating discs can give a slight feeling of flutter as you're easing off the brake as you come to a stop.   It's a bit alarming until you get used to it, but doesn't affect the braking force.

I came to the conclusion this 'fluttering' only happens with HH pads. I had a set of cheap organic pads fitted for a while and the fluttering didn't happen. In the end I binned the organic pads and went back to EBC HH, as the organic pads were total shite when wet. The fluttering returned. I think it starts as the pads wear.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

metalguru

Quote from: "ChazzyB"
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I fitted EBC floating discs and matching pads and the problem went away.  Just be aware though that the floating discs can give a slight feeling of flutter as you're easing off the brake as you come to a stop.   It's a bit alarming until you get used to it, but doesn't affect the braking force.

I came to the conclusion this 'fluttering' only happens with HH pads. I had a set of cheap organic pads fitted for a while and the fluttering didn't happen. In the end I binned the organic pads and went back to EBC HH, as the organic pads were total shite when wet. The fluttering returned. I think it starts as the pads wear.

Would concur with what Chazzy is saying here as the EBC Gold pads seem to give trouble, ie hanging on, when they get down to about 2:5mm. (Wear limit is 1mm). Found the best are the standard black EBC pads.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

Mine are standard EBC and have done it since I fitted them and the discs.  :roll:

Frightened the hell out of me first time it happened. I wasn't overly careful scrubbing the new discs and pads in, but wasn't hard on them either. Must say though, the discs felt slightly glazed even from new and took a long time to bed in.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...