News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Don't laugh

Started by Hossboro, January 15, 2012, 09:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossboro

I know this is a very basic thing and yep I should at least know this but Ive searched and still can't get the answer hmmm.

What is the best tool to remove the plugs from my Tiger 900 1997 (and what size! is it)  this includes the middles plug.
Luckily I have not got round to removing the tank and things yet so thought might be wise to be prepared for the job first  :)

A very slightly not mechanical smoggie!!    :wink:

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

97steamer

I've just been through this process and had to buy the Triumph tool - £9 from my dealer

fishnbiker

18mm deep socket with universal joint, 6~10" extension, ratchet handle. I use a small dab of plumber's putty in the socket to grab the plug.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Mustang

some bikes will require you to grind down the OD of the socket to get it to go into the plug well .
I always found the socket in the tool kit to work fine and the 12 mm allen wrench in the tool kit fits nicely into the end of the socket

Bixxer Bob

like I said elsewhere , if all else fails, look in the underseat toolkit  :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Hossboro

Thnx guys, I wish i had the tool kit that comes with, but sadly it never made it way as far as me  :)

So is it an 18mm or 16mm box spanner normally on 885 tigers ?

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

Mustang

18 mm socket is the only thing that will remove the plugs

BigDan

Halfords do a great tool for about 6 quid, an 18mm spark plug socket on a blue "T" handle.

The socket its self can be angled and has a wee spring around it. I'd suggest that, mine is great.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Mustang

Quote from: "BigDan"Halfords do a great tool for about 6 quid, an 18mm spark plug socket on a blue "T" handle.

The socket its self can be angled and has a wee spring around it. I'd suggest that, mine is great.
doubtful it's going to work on the center plug of a steamer , they are very tight quarters under the backbone frame .

Bixxer Bob

Agreed. I've had both, Girly owners don't know they're born..... :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Hossboro

Thnx guys (and girlies for ppl without the luxury of a steamer).

Off to the garage ans get started (see ya in a week or 2 hahahaha) and thats just cos I hate the cold and need to keep gettin warm lol.

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

97tiger885

Quote from: "Hossboro"I know this is a very basic thing and yep I should at least know this but Ive searched and still can't get the answer hmmm.

What is the best tool to remove the plugs from my Tiger 900 1997 (and what size! is it)  this includes the middles plug.
Luckily I have not got round to removing the tank and things yet so thought might be wise to be prepared for the job first  :)

A very slightly not mechanical smoggie!!    :wink:

I just pulled my plugs...again.  Here are pix of the tools I use.

I think this is the spark plug wrench which came with the mc.

Here is shot for sizing.

There are no size markings on the wrench, but I think the spark plug end is 18mm and a 16mm socket fits over the other end.

I use the folllowing with the spark plug wrench (SP wrench).

The sockets are 16mm.  I use a 16mm deep well socket with an extension on the SP wrench on the two outer plugs.  I use the short 16mm socket with the ratchet on the SP wrench on the center plug.  

To remove the center plug, I first put in the wrench and rotate it by hand until the wrench seats on the plug.  I attach the socket to the ratchet and then attach the socket to the wrench.  I unscrew the plug until it is loose.  Remove the socket and ratchet.  I use a needle nose pliers to grab the SP wrench and pull the SP wrench with the spark plug attached out.

To install, I first put the plug in by hand,  put the SP wrench in and rotate by hand until it seats on the plug.  I attach the 16mm socket to the SP wrench. Then I turn the socket by hand to screw the plug down until it is hand tight.  I attach the ratchet onto the socket and turn about 1/4 of a revolution.  I detach the socket from the SP wrench, pull out the ratchet with the socket,  reach in with a needle-nose pliers, pull the SP socket part of the way out, grab it with my hand and remove the SP wrench the rest of the way.