News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gotta leave the bike for a year

Started by XJC, March 16, 2012, 03:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XJC

Any one left theirs for this amount of time and is there anything in particular about girlies that I need to keep on top of?

Stored in a garage with heating to keep it just above freezing in the winter.
My XJC is always fine and I've left that for 4 years at one point without turning a wheel. Keeping on top of the battery and checking all fluids before firing up has alway worked. I'm hoping the Girly will be the same.

For those that don't know what an XJC is check mine out here

I know nothing beats regular use and I had considered loaning her to a friend but I'm not that much of a philanthropist yet.

X.
The brain is useless. We must find another brain.

fraser ross

Hi there had mine parked up for nigh on 5 yrs and basically done as you posted with no ill effects regards fraser

XJC

Good enough for me.

That's what I wanted to hear.

X.

John Stenhouse

Might be an idea to run the fuel out so as not to leave anything to evapourate into gunk, just a case of taking the sidepanel off so not too arduous.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

jphish

Never left one unmolested for 4 years, but have for 1 year. Should be similar proceedure I suppose. Sort of a long term "winterization".  Some suggest doing warm oil / filter change with synthetic oil (& running for a few minutes after change to distribute internally) so old contaminated oil / acids dont have time to work on bearings & such. As noted - drain tank & run bike to clear fuel from system. Some also suggest pulling plugs & squirting a wee bit of synthetic oil in cyls and turning engine over for 5 - 10 seconds to distribute on cyl walls / rings. Prevents rust & seizing. I started mine after sitting for a year (using this proceedure) and had about 10 sec of smoke from burning off oil in cyl - has run for 10K flawless miles since. This is pretty easy & cheap insurance. The only other thing I worry about is *&%$# mice - they ate the wiring on my stored KLR after  6 mos storage!

jphish

OOPs - 1 more thing. Some also recommend changing coolant, if old, to prevent corrosion. I didn't - but 4 years is a long time.

XJC

Some good points that I hadn't thought of.

Just to clear a point jphish, the bike will only be left for a year. It was the XJ that had sat unmolested for four. The mice situ must've really pissed you off. My cats will still be in residence so hopefully that scenario will be nipped in the neck.

Basically all the initial signs are that it shouldn't be a problem barring a little attention to detail.

Reassuring indeed.

Thanks Guys,

X.

jphish

XJC - Nice Jag! Dont see many of those models around here...except at car shows. Yeah, I misread the time frame. 1 year - not 4. I would still do the eng / fuel / coolant drain. That way you're also just ready to ride when you get back. The KLR was parked next to tigger - thought that would be sufficient mice mitigation. I now have ring of sticky traps around bikes...and of course step in them every time I go in garage.

KuzzinKenny

Hey XJC !! thats a really nice lookin Jag  :thumbsup

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

XJC

Thanks guys, it is a bit of a rare bird. According to the DVLA there is only 4 left in the UK of this exact model and they're all SORNed.

Anyway, back to bikes. My Girly is in getting an MOT this week. Bit of welding as the steering stop lock broke when I had a wee lowside last year and ended up with ribs like a dropped accordion.

Pick her up on Thursday then off for a six day tour of Scotland. This'll be my last blast and then I'm away for a year (hence the above post). I was hoping to hook up at the Scottish and English meets/tours but unfortunately it'll have to be next year.

Cheers, and I'll see you then.

X.

fraser ross

xjc, hope its not the new bishopbriggs hilton on my door step  :) all the best fraser

XJC

LOL,  

I'm far too pretty to go to jail.  :shock:
Don't like roll ups anyway.

X.

fraser ross

have a good one cheery :)