News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New tires for the Tiger

Started by Boxmonkey, April 21, 2012, 12:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boxmonkey

There is nothing like new tires to make a bike seem to handle telepathically. I only have 26 miles on the Contis but so far the ride is very smooth with little road noise. The stock Scorps still had life left after 7600 miles, but the front was starting to feel different lately. The bike seemed to wander around. Not sure if it was the squared off rear or the front, but they are gone now and so is the wandering.
Tiger 800 ABS

Yukon

Just put a set of these on the Girly yesterday.  The first 30,000 miles I ran nothing but the Anakee 1 and then the Anakee 2.  I was hoping that I might have better luck with the cupping on the front tire with the 2's, but it was just a bad as the original.    Let's see if the Trail attacks treat me better.   :)

Mustang

can't speak for the beaker but on a steamer or Girly bike
it's the stock suspenders causes the funky tire wear .
some tires fare better but in the end you get cupping no matter what tire .

NeilD

will be interested how you get on with them.. had them on my 955 and was thinkig about them for the 800 when the time comes.. either those or something even more 'road' orinetated...

Boxmonkey

I have a 700 to 800 mile trip next week, so I should have a better feel for them when I get back.
Tiger 800 ABS

Boxmonkey

I got to ride my usual commute today, and I am really liking the TA's. The tires are very smooth running, and hold the road very well. They seem very stable in turns. The curves that have always upset the bike since new are not an issue now.
Tiger 800 ABS

Boxmonkey

After an 847 mile trip, I am still impressed with the TA's. In the curves the grip was far greater than my riding ability, and they are still smooth on the highways. Overall I am very happy with these tires.
Tiger 800 ABS

Boxmonkey

Update: Unfortunately after 1500 miles, my front developed a bad wobble. After having the tire rebalanced and some air pressure experimentation, I gave up. I contacted the on-line retailer (Jake Wilson), and they immediately sent me a new front. I had it mounted Saturday, and all is well again now. Hopefully This tire will not have the same issue, as it has a different date code. Anyone else ever have this issue with the TA's or another tire?
Tiger 800 ABS

Yukon

Quote from: "Boxmonkey"Update: Unfortunately after 1500 miles, my front developed a bad wobble. After having the tire rebalanced and some air pressure experimentation, I gave up. I contacted the on-line retailer (Jake Wilson), and they immediately sent me a new front. I had it mounted Saturday, and all is well again now. Hopefully This tire will not have the same issue, as it has a different date code. Anyone else ever have this issue with the TA's or another tire?

I had mine installed on April 19th and the wobble began Friday with about 1200 miles on them.   It is so bad that you can not let go of the bars from about 25 mph to 40 mph.  The installing dealer was closed this holiday weekend but I will be contacting him on Tuesday.

Boxmonkey

QuoteIt is so bad that you can not let go of the bars from about 25 mph to 40 mph.

My wobble was between about 40 to 50 mph. It got so bad that I would not ride until the new tire came in. Going through a corner leaned over at 45 mph with the front shimmying is not a fun experience. Good luck. I hope the dealer resolves your issue.
Tiger 800 ABS