News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Baby Beemer+Girly -or- Tiger 800

Started by Yankee Dog, May 02, 2012, 07:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankee Dog

I have a 2005 BMW F650GS and a 2006 Triumph Tiger 955. I use the baby Beemer for 2up gravel, dirt, and mild single track. At 30,000 miles the baby beemer is due for a suspension upgrade. Which I figure will run a minimum of $1500. I also need to mention I have gone down a tooth in front and up two in the back. I am not concerned in the slightest about the loss of top end. That's not what this bike is for.

The Tiger 955 is my touring bike, also 2up. Love the 955, but it is a little short on the wattage during the winter when the missus and I both have our electrics turned on. Also the luggage is rather small when hauling both the missus and I cross country.

Enter the Tiger 800. Lots of wattage, big luggage, has seating for 2, weights only a bit more than the baby beemer with twice the horse power. The plan would be to sell both the 650 and 955, replace with the 800 and use it for double duty.

So what do you think? Will the Tiger 800 do the job of both?

MarkShelley

If you are serious about  GS (of any size) I recommend paying to join this forum. It has masses of info on the bikes.
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

JetdocX

The 800 XC has way better suspension than either of the others.  Also a large front wheel will make the dirty stuff more fun.

Of course, if you need to go camping in fairgrounds with all your beemer pals and look down your nose at all the other makes, you might need to paste a roundel on it.  I say a guy do that to a KLR.  Almost crapped my pants laughing so hard. :lol:
From parts unknown.

Yankee Dog

Quote from: "JetdocX"......................Of course, if you need to go camping in fairgrounds with all your beemer pals and look down your nose at all the other makes, you might need to paste a roundel on it.  I say a guy do that to a KLR.  Almost crapped my pants laughing so hard. :lol:

I dont hang out much with the beemer crowd. this little GS has too many dings and stratches and I never wash it. Get lots of dirty looks from guys on shiny dirt bikes that never see mud.

blacktiger

Quote from: "Yankee Dog"I dont hang out much with the beemer crowd. this little GS has too many dings and stratches and I never wash it. Get lots of dirty looks from guys on shiny dirt bikes that never see mud.

Ain't that the truth? In the last 15 years the GS crowd has changed from adventure riders to polishing posuers.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

ramseybella

Quote from: "blacktiger"
Quote from: "Yankee Dog"I dont hang out much with the beemer crowd. this little GS has too many dings and stratches and I never wash it. Get lots of dirty looks from guys on shiny dirt bikes that never see mud.

Ain't that the truth? In the last 15 years the GS crowd has changed from adventure riders to polishing posuers.

More like Pussy AVD wanna-bees, I see them all the time in northern New Mexico along with the Lance Armstrong types.. (Scientist from the Lab).

Nothing wrong with wanting something but use it the way it was intended and don't make a statement like you are.

If I didn't like travailing down a dusty road or two and camping on them I would have me a Gold Wing, and I ride a Rodie.