News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Very hacked off indeed.......part 2

Started by mikeybikey57, June 26, 2012, 04:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeybikey57

Well folks, so much for thinking all was well with my Tigger, after it's second visit to the local stealer to rectify a post-service problem of their making.

I took advantage of a gap in the piss poor weather today and took a run out on her to see a mate in Stafford.  
                                                                                                             She ran beautifully at 2000 rpm+ but anything under that, she felt as though she was misfiring and running on two cylinders again. Try as I might, filtering through town traffic was a total ball ache and if i didn't give it enough throttle out of junctions/roundabouts etc, she felt as though she was going to bog down and stall. This caused me to almost drop her twice, when going through Uttoxeter.

I subsequently decided to call off my visit and take her straight back to the stealer, who after taking it out for a spin, ummed and ahhed for a bit and then really took the piss by saying "all Tiger 955i's are glitchy at low revs"!  I suggested that as mine has a TOR can and a TOR ECU tune (which they uploaded) and, that it wasn't "glitchy" prior to them servicing it, he was at best talking nonsense. I then took him on the back and ran through the problems in real time, doing the verbal equivalent of spelling  it out in capitals and he then seemed to get it. Woop de bloody doo!!!! I now have to wait till the middle of next week for them to look at it again. Brilliant!

Anyone have any ideas as to what the actual problem might be? It'd be useful to be forearmed, so I can use it as a virtual stick to beat the technician with, if he say's he can't find anything wrong with it too.
There\'s no point in worrying about life, because you\'ll never get out of it alive.

BigDan

Dunno what the problem is, but since I changed the tune on mine, it has barely any power below 2k and does seem to bog down when setting off until I get the revs up.

So i'd think it just needs the tune to be finely adjusted.

But I definately recommend you find yourself a new dealer, they sound like a right bunch of twats near you!
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

mikeybikey57

Now I understand why folk on this forum call them "stealers". Very apologetic, courteous, professional and all that........ but yes Dan, a right bunch of twats indeed.
There\'s no point in worrying about life, because you\'ll never get out of it alive.

PeteH

I feel your pain mikey.

Quote from: "BigDan"So i'd think it just needs the tune to be finely adjusted.

Which is best left to someone other than a Triumph spanner monkey.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

metalguru

The long term fuel trim needs to be increased known on TuneEcu as the LTFT bottom left corner.

Dan you should be looking at about 4:2 to 4:6.

The stealer will be able to alter with their diagnostics set up.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "mikeybikey57"Anyone have any ideas as to what the actual problem might be? It'd be useful to be forearmed, so I can use it as a virtual stick to beat the technician with

Don't go there,you either know what your talking about or you don't,your part of it is to tell the guy if it's running right or wrong,his job is to fix it,having had a lifetime of my brother in law trying to blag me that he knows what he's talking about when he doesn't know his ass from his ear,it's as annoying as paying to have your bike fixed and it ain't.

As Dan pointed out and for anyone else reading this,it's important to find a dealer who's clued up,and as the 955 gets older there'll be less of e'm out there,and dealers  busy with new models,hence why I've waited some years for Pure Triumph in B'Ham to get up and running after Triumph pulling the plug on Windy Corner.

Spud

I understand there's some good guys at Brum. I would tell the mechanic the problems and then ask him to explain to you what he thinks is going on "as you would like to learn for future reference." That way he is more likely to respond and you will increase your knowledge.
Fore warned is fore armed, but is dos'ent always pay to let the other guy know what you do or do not actually know.
A wise man can play the fool, a fool can never play the wise man. One of my dads favourite sayings but it still took me to many decades to learn what it means  :oops:
I have a great guy here near Stourbridge who is ace on the spanners around triumphs and has never given me a bum steer yet so mine never goes to the dealers except for the MOT.
cheers Spud  :wink:

Chris Canning

Well my take on it has always been,I have one Triumph Tiger,does it run OK??,HTF do I know it's the only one I've got,It wouldn't be the first time I thought a bike was OK and then I rode another and it was light years better.
Hence why for shimming and maps it's always gone to Windy corner they see a larger selection than I ever have,anything else I do,that changed when Triumph pulled the plug on e'm and the map I have in now was put in end of 010 by Pure Triumph,and a jolly good 16 quids worth it was,well it was when it settled down!!!,whats good for riding round the block and a 1000 miles down the road are two diffrent things.