News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I seem to be doing more spending than riding.

Started by robxxxx, August 07, 2012, 02:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

Quote from: "Chris Canning"One of the advantages of being a little older!!,is when the dipstick behind the hotel reception views you with distain as you walk through the door with 600 miles of crap on you.

I must say I've never experienced that in 20 years or so of touring in France* on the bike regardless of how much I've spent. I remember the chef and kitchen porter manhandling my Commando into the kitchen storeroom of a little place in the Pyrenees so it would be safe overnight.....

*UK of course an entirely different matter.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"One of the advantages of being a little older!!,is when the dipstick behind the hotel reception views you with distain as you walk through the door with 600 miles of crap on you.

I must say I've never experienced that in 20 years or so of touring in France* on the bike regardless of how much I've spent. I remember the chef and kitchen porter manhandling my Commando into the kitchen storeroom of a little place in the Pyrenees so it would be safe overnight.....

*UK of course an entirely different matter.

Holiday Inn Cottbus

Although actual fact been told a hotel is full when we knew it wasn't in Luxembourg although the reception was English!!!.

As for France the game has changed by some margin riding wise,blow in the bag kits,dressed up like Coco the Clown,and they all stick to the speed limits  :(

No I've never had anytrouble with hotels either in France,but there's a bit more to Europe than just one country.

robxxxx

Bob. We learned about recycling clothing a few years ago. It's pretty much the basics now and buy the rest if needed.  Oh, but of course, I have the right hand pannier to myself.
We never book hotels. We just turn up. Unlike you Chris, I dont need the penthouse suite. And i'm with Ian as well on the hotel front, never had a problem. But then we are happy with anything from a three star and up. Never thought I would say THAT on a bike forum. In 2010 we were coming back from Italy, got to Dijon late afternoon and the heavens opened. First hotel was an Ibis, full. Went down to the Novotel, the wife went in looking like a drowned rat and we got straight in.
I need to ask about the vac bags Chris, I understand that it can all be packed away before you go, but what happens when you stop for the night on route and need a clean pair, you then need to re-seal them. At this point I was going to make a joke about your wife's sucking power, but it would be inappropriate.

Chris Canning

Just put the clothes in, roll the bag either up or flat with the air cap off and lean on it with your knee to stop the air going back in and screw the air cap on,one instant flat bag,and I mean flat.

We got the Penthouse by mistake,and when my wife read the info in it when we got unpacked and realised that by booking early it should have been cheaper went down stair and got it for 50 quid a night  :D ,instead of 200.

As for pre booking hotels,means we can ride all day or stop and turn up at midnight,more than once we've spent hours trying find a couple of spare rooms for us two and a mate,3/4 hotels later fully booked on the trot :evil: ,could have been another 300 miles up the road instead of faffing about.

Chris Canning

Hair dryer photo,the glass's case some you idea for reference in size.

robxxxx

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Just put the clothes in, roll the bag either up or flat with the air cap off and lean on it with your knee to stop the air going back in and screw the air cap on,one instant flat bag,and I mean flat.

That's spooky. The wife waved some under my nose about a minute before reading that. I know the ones.
I think I can beat the mini hairdriers. She has just bought a set of hair straighteners that would fit in the palm of your hand.
We don't book hotels in advance, because if we did, it would all go tits-up. It always does. We now just get to a point in the afternoon where we decide to start looking for a place. Gives a chance to scout round the area and have a nose.

Sin_Tiger

That's neat, what make and where did you get it if you don't mind?

My missus discovered vac bags some time ago, I soon discovered what it meant was the same size bag as before just weighing twice as much, now she carry's a portable scale as well  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Spud

I use waterproof camping bags which you squeeze the air out off, then at night I put some air back and use it as a pillow.

I dont plan my trips to much I just have an idea where I want to go, and I just go with the flow on the day. I find that way I end up having to talk to people which makes a change for being as I am an antisocial barsteward  :x   :roll:

Can get a bit iffy when you don't know where the next petrol station is and you dont speak the local lingo  :oops:

cheers spud   :wink:

Chris Canning

Quote from: "robxxxx"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"Just put the clothes in, roll the bag either up or flat with the air cap off and lean on it with your knee to stop the air going back in and screw the air cap on,one instant flat bag,and I mean flat.

That's spooky. The wife waved some under my nose about a minute before reading that. I know the ones.
I think I can beat the mini hairdriers. She has just bought a set of hair straighteners that would fit in the palm of your hand.
We don't book hotels in advance, because if we did, it would all go tits-up. It always does. We now just get to a point in the afternoon where we decide to start looking for a place. Gives a chance to scout round the area and have a nose.

We did the on spec thing for 25 years I guess and it just got too much hassle particularly in the peak season, pre booking, most hotels now don't even take a credit card number,only if you intend rolling up after 7pm,so if it all goes pete tong with the net and smart phones you can cancel or just don''t tell e'm,although our last day in the Alps on the way to Italy we did on spec,and got lucky but it was early in the afternoon,and by 4 pm it was a mad rush with folk coming in asking about rooms,as most of the bikers that turned up had booked in advance.

This was at the bottom of the Col du Mont Cenis.

#

What makes it so different for us,as travelling Europe is all we do,we know distance/time and know how to plan a day and hotels along the way,doesn't sound very exciting but some of the route we went on to Mugello a few weeks ago we must have travel on 20/30 times but riding the bike is just as much fun  :D

Re the vacum bags,as Nial said the weight comes as a shock,there was a thread on here the other week about Givi boxs and how much they carry,I dread to think what is in our 50L box,we don't do panniers,but if we did almost certainley you would have a weight problem because you can cram so much in.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"That's neat, what make and where did you get it if you don't mind?

My missus discovered vac bags some time ago, I soon discovered what it meant was the same size bag as before just weighing twice as much, now she carry's a portable scale as well  :roll:

My wife informs me  :oops:

The one on the left was bought in Assen in Holland,the one on the right was purchase out of the Daily Mail,advertised as the worlds smallest hairdryer  :roll:,but that was some years ago!!

Sin_Tiger

Will do some research on that then, thanks.

I got news last night that she has already booked flights, hotel and tickets for the CN Classics weekend, now its up to me to get my backside in gear for leave and flights. If anyone else is going .......

Sod, sorry about the hijack, I'll start another thread  :oops:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Will do some research on that then, thanks.

I got news last night that she has already booked flights, hotel and tickets for the CN Classics weekend, now its up to me to get my backside in gear for leave and flights. If anyone else is going .......

Sod, sorry about the hijack, I'll start another thread  :oops:

Well go on then....... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I'm at work, remember work  :P

robxxxx

New front tyre fitted, put a few miles on it today, but still need a few more miles to scrub it in. Back brake pistons and seals done as well.
Not 100% happy with the front end. Not sure if its just me or head bearings showing signs of wear?  I just cant seem to keep her straight at very low speed. Does that make sense? Can't feel any notches or play when the front wheel is off the ground.  This might have to wait until after the trip. More money.......

Bixxer Bob

Low speed vagueness is a symptom of head bearings too tight.  My Blackbird felt like someone was sitting on the back leaning from side to side when I fitted taper bearings. I went back to OEM Honda supplied ball races and all was well again.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...