News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

This months Bike

Started by Chris Canning, January 30, 2005, 09:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Had the new mag turn up,summary of the long term test bikes,usual stuff but interesting reading,but the GS comes out some ways in front but that includes all of the others never mind the Tiger,but that got a reasonable write up just a shame he had it nicked!!.

Chris

knarf

How many pages in the mag had BMW adverts ???
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

Chris Canning

About the same number as the Triumph ones!!!!!

Chris

ridin gaijin

The guy had a test bike stolen? WTF?? Was he not paying attention or what?

Out of curiosity what did the article say about percieved strong & weak points of each machine? How many miles did they put on them? Thanks
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

tigerjohn

I've just  read the article...... Quote "The Tiger represents outstanding value. It has to be among the best value tourers on the market........The  Triumph is ...amazingly agile.....incredibly comfortable... with acres of torque..."  

These points are applied to the GS as well (except the value) and it's praised for better suspension, finish quality and clever luggage....and its shaft drive! The £3 000 price difference is noted as well!

Personally, I think the Tiger's got more 'unique appeal' - I see a lot of GSs on the road but few Tigers. And it sounds better.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "tigerjohn"Personally, I think the Tiger's got more 'unique appeal' - I see a lot of GSs on the road but few Tigers. And it sounds better.

Not to mention the solid connection to the wild days of resteryear's racing and rock concerts. Here in the States if you have any new Triumph and you pull in to fuel up at the pumps you can lay money on it that 50% of the time some rich f*cker in his 60's will pry his fat ass out of his Lexus and say "I used to have a Triumph when I was a kid, and boy was it fast. We used to drag race and raise hell all night long... blah, blah, blah."  When is the last time somebody said that about their Beemer back in the beatnik and hippy days?
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

ChrisN

Quotesome rich f*cker in his 60's will pry his fat ass out of his Lexus and say "I used to have a Triumph when I was a kid, and boy was it fast. We used to drag race and raise hell all night long... blah, blah, blah."

Nice one Patrick, maybe we'll all meet up on the Lexus Forum one day....
Chris

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"When is the last time somebody said that about their Beemer back in the beatnik and hippy days?

:D  :D  :D
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

New-Tiger

Rubbish!!!

Each bike from their fleet was given a review.

Quote from the BIKE article ' ..I'd still have to plump for the German bike because i reckon there'd be less depreciation over a number of years and i just love the character, styling and grot-free shaft drive. The luggage is far higher quality, too. The expandable panniers are nothing short of a masterstroke and every detail is beautifully designed.

This was actually part of the Tiger review! !!!!!The GS had a whole 2 pages to itself.

I just can't believe that they decide to have a Tiger as part of their fleet and it gets stolen so they can't write anything more about it.

GET ANOTHER ONE!!!!

It wasn't the only Tiger in the world and it was insured. Can you imagine if one of the GSX's had been stolen. Do you not think they would have replaced it and continued with the review for the rest of the year??

The whole thing stinks as far as i'm concerned...

Chris Canning

There was a spare GS as the guy who was rideing it left the mag and that also had to be writen about,so he jumped ship an ideal chance to compare both,the fact that the Tiger came out a very definet second,so what!!! I prefer my Tiger,it suits me if i thought a GS would do a better job i'd go and buy one,but i'd say his comments are pretty valid,my Beemer is still worth pretty close to what i paid for it 5 years ago,my Tiger has lost a boat load of money, it's not a problem for me,but maybe for some,if that comes into their criteria for buying a bike.

Chris

abell

You see it here as well. I would love to know who the buyers are who are propping up the used BMW market, because there is no way I would drop new bike money on an old GS with high mileage.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

Chris Canning

If you've never bought a new BM and had to put 15-20,000 miles on the motor before it stop burning oil and settled down,your not likely to understand the secondhand resale prices,the best tip you'll see on any Beemer board buy with at least with 10,000 miles on!!!!.

From my exsperience of 1100s's i'd say the best and the fastest motor's have over 40,000 miles on e'm

Chris

WildeKurt

There always seems to be a lot of contradictory info on the BMW boards regarding break in, burning oil, etc.  My 1100 never burned oil from day 1.  At 85K miles it still doesn't.  However, some friends with 1100's and 1150 oilhead burn it by the liter.  From day one right through the bikes life.  Never figured that one out but it's within spec. (.1 liter per 1000 miles or something like that). The oil head boxer motor's definately a supurb power plant as far as reliability and longevity go. Now the FI, that's a different story!  There are still reports of surging in new boxers and apparently the new K motor as well.

Kurt

Bushwhacker

Seems to me the fact that the Tiger was stolen and the BMW's were not says quite a bit in itself.

Who wants to steal a BMW when you can steal a Tiger!

-
When you look like a rude, crude, scum-sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions.

2000 Thunderbird Sport - Yellow w/Ghost Flames

2007 Tiger - White w/ABS

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Blue

robbo

Finally got around to reading this report, I thought it was quite favourable in that the guy said both the Tiger and the GS were really good bikes and he only went for the GS because be liked the look and thought it would hold its value better. To be honest I would agree with him. I love my Tiger but if I had GS money when I was deciding what my next bike was going to be I probably would have given the GS a look for the exact same reasons the guy mentioned. I posted a while back about the insulting trade in value of £4200 I was offered when I asked what my bike was worth at a dealers. I paid £7000 less than a year ago.
best Regards

Robbo