News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Opinions of the R1200GS

Started by Guest, February 02, 2005, 10:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Hi Gents

Blimey it's amazeing how these threads go of at a tangent!! there's two separate points, as far as HP is concerned i'm happy ish!!! with my 955,I never was with my 885 and as soon as the 955 came out bought one,jeeze when we rode from Barcelona in 2003 rode for the best part of 14 hours at three figures and even at that speed it could still respond if I needed it,and did!!

The point i was makeing about the B/T's comment when he mentioned peformance was in the 2 Wheels mag they gave  exstensive figures for top end speed and roll on's at speed and the GS was better at both,the guy in the Bike mag while saying he thought the GS was a better all round buy, said that the Tiger was faster in a straight line,so theres a contradiction,but certainley BM have found some speed from somewhere cuz my 955 would murder an 1150 performance wise

Chris

A couple of comments above about the gearbox/drive train. Actually, I didn't notice the gearbox. So I guess it was pretty good... for a BMW. It went into first at a stand quietly, without a clunkor jerk, as it should being a dry clutch which shouldn't have any drag. On the move it worked as good as anything I've ridden. So it looks like BMW have stripped and copied a Suzuki gearbox.

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"don't our cats make more hp and more torque? From a smaller engine too?

No. According to Triumph the Tiger make 104bhp (at the crank?) & 67 lb/ft. The BMW makes 100?bhp & 85lb/ft.

Acceleration is mostly dependent on torque so, in theory, the BMW should accelerate quicker. But then gearing and weight come into the equation as well. So, as I said previously, you would have to get them side by side.

Take a look at this :- http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... adid=37036  to see the hornets nest I've stirred up. Ain't it great poking a sharp stick in?

Chris Canning

I just hope that it takes me less time to bump into a well ridden GS1200 then it did an 1150,trying find any of e'm doing over 80 was hard enough!!!,as i've changed wheels,brakes and suspension on my Tiger takeing on a MODERN GS doesn't hold any fears i can tell you.

Chris

abell

I can't believe a bloke over there reckoned the GS was more attractive than the Tiger and therefore worth the extra wedge. You'd have to be blind and pissed to think it was a more attractive bike.

Having read those two pages of comments, I'd quite like to try out a GS just for the sake of doing so, but I don't think I'd buy one on the principle that I wouldn't want everyone thinking I was a total coconut.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

Chris Canning

When they launched the GS i got an invite as i own an S,what i couldn't work out was how many of the guys who had ordered a new 1200 told me they were on their 4th 0r 5th 1150GS!!!! which seemed a little odd.

Chris

trotts

:lol:  Great stuff BlackTiger !!  I am about to go to bed having a good laugh.  Talk about up setting the natives !  I think you have some bottle to put that post on the GS site.  I think you must feel like custer surrounded by indians at the 'little Bighorn'. :shock:

In my life I seem to have owned most of the trailees out there ( apart from a Suzuki and a KTM)   It is all horse's for course's. I have promised her indoors I wil keep the Tiger for a few years otherwise I will be 'hung' from the clothes line.  She also bought me goodies for it at crimbo such as Touratech stuff.  

I tend to agree with you, if they were the same price the old Tigger would not get a look in, but they are not.  Still I enjoyed the GS I owned, and I am am enjoying Tiger as much. My fillings are also all still in place. No more dentistry. hehehehe  I might support you on that thread yet :D
Dave T

Brock

I've just read some of the replies to Howard's post on the GS site.

Fairly typical of GS12 owners I'd say (and bless 'em for it...).

But how do you think us lot would react to a GS owner coming on here and criticising the Tiger?

Well give it some thought 'cos it could happen!

I aint sayin' no more 'cos I've said enough already on the GS/Tiger debate.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Chris Canning

Hopefully one of them will,i just hope some of the boys on this site that wear blinkers handle it as well as they did.

Of course their problem will be finding the correct site!!!,the politics of owning a GS are somewhat less complicated than owning a Tiger,2 yahoo sites,this one,Triumph RAT how many more???

Chris

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Blacktiger"
Quote from: "ridin gaijin"don't our cats make more hp and more torque? From a smaller engine too?

No. According to Triumph the Tiger make 104bhp (at the crank?) & 67 lb/ft. The BMW makes 100?bhp & 85lb/ft.

Acceleration is mostly dependent on torque so, in theory, the BMW should accelerate quicker. But then gearing and weight come into the equation as well. So, as I said previously, you would have to get them side by side.

See my prior post on this 2/3. Same thread. Been there etc. Works better if you read what's come before.

Quote from: "Blacktiger"Take a look at this :- http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... adid=37036  to see the hornets nest I've stirred up. Ain't it great poking a sharp stick in?

I'm in awe--

Gaijin Troll-o-meter:

|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|

0.1..2..3..4.5..6..7..8..9..MAX

Anyway. I'd still love to own a R1200GS. And I'd STILL rather ride with a BMW rider, than  drive behind a BMW driver!
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Brock

You lot want to check out the GSers on their site now...I think they've forgotten what Howards original post was about...they're too busy barking at one another.

IF THIS SITE EVER GETS THAT BAD I'M OUT OF HERE.
Chris

trotts

:lol: He did'nt half cause a storm :lol:   Anyway, today, Monday I was out on my beast, nice day no work, sun and dry roads, (heha)  I stopped at a favorite butty place in Bristol and a few moments later a GS1200  pulled up and parked right next to me.  We had a good old natter as you do, but what surprised me was mine seemed to dwarf the GS12.  When next to 1150 not the case.  The 1200, side by side, certainly seems a lot smaller ?   Roll on Spring !!
Dave T

Brock

Amen to that brother. And lets remember...it don't matter a f...k what we ride. We're ALL waiting for Spring!
Chris

Mr Mistoffelees

Great comparison BlackTiger, thanks for taking the time to write it up.

I can't comment on the ride / build quality as have never owned one, however, I did base my choice when picking the Tiger on the price tag - 3.5K is a lota extra paper.
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions