News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Two days on the road!

Started by fnjeep314, September 06, 2012, 04:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnjeep314

The other morning I found out I had to run up to Monterey/Pebble Beach California. I had some family things to take care of, but this time, I didnt need to take the car! So after not riding for a month, due to 100+ degree weather(Its just too hot, I dont care what anyone says), I checked over my Girly and wheeled her out and fired her up. I had a scheduled time to be up in Monterey so I didnt really stop for any many pics, especially since I rode out of farm land on CA198 to CA101 and headed north to CA68 and came across....(I was slightly ahead of schedule, and so I allowed this stop!!)

So I rode up to the top of the hill where the track is.

Here is the bottom of the infamous corkscrew corners.

Here is an overview of most of the track.

Here is a map of this magnificent place!! The above pictures were taken in the area right below the 8A.

Next I have always wanted to ride the also infamous 17 Mile Drive in Pebble Beach that outlines multiple golf courses and many multi-million dollar homes. It was overcast pretty bad, but I was able to get these few shots.

This morning I got up and went to Carmel-by-the-Sea(thats the real town name) and had to stop and get some beach shots before I left.

I decided to take CA1 or the Pacific Coast Highway or PCH for short back home. I was south of Monterey in the Big Sur area, which is known for its beauty. It too was heavy overcast, like usual for the summer, winter its clear.

The ocean is down there somewhere......

So after waiting for construction traffic I came across Limekiln State Park. It is directly under the PCH and also quite small. The lady was very nice and let me park in the 10 minute parking area and walk around and take some pictures. It was nice and cool out.

I wonder what did this?! It was on the "beach" they had there.

A cozy place under the highway......!

What is considered to be sand I guess. It was more of a crushed rock/shell combo.

The "beach"

Apparently people come here to stack rocks. Dont know why, but it looked pretty cool.

Here is my contribution to the madness! Feather and all!!

And here I say goodbye to Limekiln State Park.

I continued my way down the PCH to an area known as Seal Beach. It is heavily populated by elephant seals. There werent very many this time, but I have seen it when there is no sand in sight, it was all seals!!

Here is some info on the area.

I was finally out of the portion of the PCH that is sheer rock face to the one side and sheer drop off to the ocean on the other. Here at Seal Beach it sort of flattens out and becomes grassy.

My Girly in a sea of rental cars and RV's. I was the only motorbike!

Another shot down the beach and my future weather! Looks pretty good, I'd say!!

Next up is the San Simeon Hearst Castle area. The actual castle is so far up the hill it was unshootable with my phone, but you can read about it here: http://www.hearstcastle.org I was up to the castle when I was much younger. I dont remember much of it. I would like to go look at it again though! Here is the entrance to the visitors center and shuttle up to the castle.

Here were some fellow ADV'ers in the Hearst Castle parking lot!

After leaving the castle I headed down to Morro Bay. I could see it was overcast on my way there, but by the time I got there it had mostly burned off and was clearing up!
Here I am in the entrance to the beach area at Morro Bay Rock!

Here is the rock. It looks small in the picture, but trust me it isn't. People used to be able to freely climb the rock, but after too many people falling to their death, climbing is no longer allowed. You will find the rare person trying it anyway, but they are usually met by the cops when they come back down!

Since I didnt really eat much of a breakfast I stopped for a late lunch. I love this place. It is right on the dock and the seafood is FRESH!! If you are in the area, stop by, its worth it!!

On my way home up CA41 to CA101 again, I got off at CA46 heading to Fresno and half way through I took CA41 all the way back to CA198 and back home!
Now with all that being said, going up CA46 I came across the James Dean memorial for his crash site on Sept 30 1955. The memorial isnt at the actual turn area where he crashed, but it is right after it. The accident is a very sad one, not because James Dean lost his life, but it was such a dumb accident. Here is his memorial.

Just behind the bike and about 50 yards down the road was the actual site for the crash.

With everything all said and done I put on just about 500 miles and put many checks in the box for my personal riding adventures. Since I am leaving California very soon, I figured it was a great opportunity to get a good ride in and document the trip, since I usually don't! I hope you enjoyed my write up!! 
I do things!

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

Enjoyed that,funny seeing Laguna without the Moto GP trappings.