News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigers are not to be pushed around....

Started by Bixxer Bob, October 18, 2012, 10:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

They're too effing heavy.  Discovered:

A.    My low fuel light is not working.
B.    My theoretical 240 miles on a tank is bolloxed.

Ran out about a mile from home but slightly downhill from where I live.  Pushed the bugger about 200yds before giving up and suffering the ignominy of phoning the wife to bring the lawnmower can.  That's gonna cost.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 18, 2012, 10:58:24 PM

B.    My theoretical 240 miles on a tank is bolloxed

Theory only works when tested :thumbsup best bet is to get an 885i then you know the 240 is achievable :eusa_dance

As for pushing the fecker... its best if the tyres are up to pressure and the rear brake isnt binding...but im sure your aware of that :wave
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

cosmo

I always get at least 240 on a tank. Before I added the ginormous 'awning', 240 was when the light came on, guaranteed.

I did manage 290 miles once, put 6.2 gallons in...was a squeaker.

Cosmo

P.S. It is true, I don't hoon about much.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Bixxer Bob

The theory was based on how much fuel I normally put in at the 200 mile mark.  I failed to take into consideration that I fill up on the sidestand.  I know I get 45 mpg with my current map and the way I ride. I therefore only had 22.5 litres in the tank. 

And pushing home was slightly up hill, hence calling the wife out.  There was a post by Mustang about calling his bro with a trailer which seems to have been deleted; sadly I don't have that sort of support network.  Everyone else does though - I'm the mug with the trailer!

Mrs BB could've hooked up the trailer to my truck and brought it out but that would have taken longer than bringing the fuel. 

So the fuel light switch goes on the list of things to do.......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chad

bob i share your pain , these are bloody heavy beasts to push i ran out on a long uphill section of the A303 after about two miles of pushing up this incline  , just as i neared the top , and my ticker was about to explode , i was saved by a squaddie who stopped with a jerrycan full of fuel  :XXsunsmile :XXsunsmile :XXsunsmile

god bless him , and may all his sweetest dream come true :friday :occasion14 :friday :occasion14

because if he hadnt turned up i think it would have killed me  :hat10 :hat10
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

NeilD

I had to push my steamer once.. with a flat rear tyre as it had decided to get a puncture right on a bend on a twisty bit of road.. a police car stopped and suggested i move it out of the way so i started pushing with him following me in his car!  I was convinced that somehow my bike was attached to his car as it fealt like i was pushing both!  thought he was going to have to put his first aid/resuscitation skills into practice.. at least he carried my helmet in his car..  so i feel your pain!!

metalguru

Imagine how heavy it would have been to push if the tank was......erm.......FULL !!!!!!!!!!

:ImaPoser
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chad

Quote from: metalguru on October 23, 2012, 12:16:51 PM
Imagine how heavy it would have been to push if the tank was......erm.......FULL !!!!!!!!!!

imagine pushing your new toy , even if the tank was erm ..... EMPTY !!!!  :hat10 :hat10
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

Gravity Tester

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Quote from: metalguru on October 23, 2012, 12:16:51 PM

Sin_Tiger

Had to push the Steamer not long after I got her.  A section of road in the no mans land between the borders of Singapore and Malaysia 32 deg C, I have ridden that road many times and always thought it was flat, now I know better.

Lamp not working and switched to reserve by mistake. Eventually , after pushing for a km, a Malay lad on a Honda Phantom (200 cc cruiser) gave me a leg push (pushing my off side pillion peg with his left foot) all the way through the border , customs and on to the petrol station, he rode off with a wave after refusing my offer of petrol, that you don't get very often  :notworthy

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Might be costly but phoning the wife to come with the petrol is always the right answer.  The stress pushing a tiger even up even a little incline puts on your heart is pretty substantial!

Getting her to bring the right fuel and not the 2 stroke mower / chainsaw fuel.... now there's the hard part.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

My fuel is in red and green cans with the contents clearly labelled in large permanent marker pen.  Not to pre-empt calling the wife but because I'm a forgetful b£¢€₩¥©d and would - sooner or later - pick the wrong one.  Now, putting 2-stroke pre mixed in the lawnmower would be a bit smokey, but putting straight in the chainsaw would be expensive !

VM-BASIC

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 18, 2012, 10:58:24 PM
They're too effing heavy.  Discovered:

A.    My low fuel light is not working.

I feel your fuel light pain.....
Last year, was heading from Lethbridge to the Hat on highway 3, knew I needed fuel but the last petrol sation in coaldale was closed for repair, pushed on to towards Tabre, hallfway between the two bike starts to stutter, then silence. As I stopped on the hard shoulder, the very second the silent bike became staionary, on pops the low fuel warning light.
One should appreciate lifes small ironies when one can.
Was saved by a passing motorist, had only walked about 500 meters of the 20 km journey when I got a lift.
Thank you our blessed lady of stranded Tiger Owners
  :thumbsup

If you can`t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical fault

2001 in Roulette Green