News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Adjustment / blond moment?

Started by Badger, February 10, 2005, 11:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badger

Hi guys

I am normally pretty handy working on bikes but I am not sure if I'm haveing a blond moment. I slackened of the ecentric adjuster clamp bolts to adjust the chain, and they were definately free, but could I turn the adjusters. I could move the adjusters in and out on the swinging arm. Am I going totally barking mad or am I missing something.
Growing Old Disgracefully

Robbie

put the bike on the center stand :lol:
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

BP_LONDON

Speaking about centrestands, I don't know how I could possibly not have had one for so long. It's absolutely critical for cleaning, maintenance and chain adjustments...

Badger

Quote from: "Robbie"put the bike on the center stand :lol:

Very 'kin funny  :?

Kill Switch

Badger, I am not getting what is the problem.

Mudhen

Quote from: "Kill Switch"Badger, I am not getting what is the problem.

I think he's trying to adjust the chain on his GS again...
\'96 Steamer

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Mudhen"
Quote from: "Kill Switch"Badger, I am not getting what is the problem.

I think he's trying to adjust the chain on his GS again...

:mrgreen:

Badger

What a bunch of feckin piss takers.  :)  I am trying to adjust the chain. I am loosening the bolts at the end of the swinging arm that clamp the eccentric adjusters and then trying to turn them using the 12mm Allen key but even though they are loose they will not turn. Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!

Going slightly mad.  :?

Sincs

Have you loosened the axle bolts through the centre of the wheel hub  :? this will help.... Good luck.  :wink:

ArizonaKid

Shouldn't have to loosen the axel nut/bolt, unless the index marks are not in the same place on both sides, but it won't hurt anything either I suppose.  The center stand comment is valid.  Is the bike on a center stand or swingarm stand (i.e., up in the air)? That would certainly help. I'm also assuming you've tried to move the assembly both directions? If the chain is tight you obviously won't be able to move the assembly in that (tighter) direction. . .  just guessing here, but sounds very odd if everything is loose. . .   Get out the BFH (big F****** hammer)!
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

NortonCharlie

DON"T loosen the axle bolt unless you are trying to align the rear wheel.  The eccentrics should turn if you have both pinch bolts loose.  Both sides turn together, are you trying to move the sides independently?  They should move even on the sidestand though the centerstand makes it easier.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

knarf

Bagder,

Try standing on the allen key, I had to do this, then a "gentle" tap it with a hammer until you that happy with the tension.

I think it gets eh... stuck after a while.

Looks like no one adjusts their chain around here.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

Badger

OK. The bike is on the centre stand. I have adjusted the chain before without loosening the axle bolt. I have tried moving the adjuster both ways. I've been around bikes most of my life and do most of my own servicing including rebuilding engines in the past but this is bloody strange.

knarf

Hi Badger mate,

I just noticed your in Baise I'm in Newbury small world. :D
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

ridin gaijin

Sorry but I don't think I can help...the system on the 05 seems to be completely different from what you're describing. We have a big spindle nut on the axle which has to be loosened. Then each side has a locknut and an adjusting nut (all 12mm). We release the locknut and move the adjusting nut towards the rear so as to push out the wheel. (Once for each side o'course.) Then re-tighten the locknuts and tighten the spindle nut. Not an allen wrench in sight.

It's interesting (as in "annoying" and "dumb") that Triumph provides me not one of the necessary tools to do this! The spindle nut is far too large to be tackled by anything in the toolkit, and even the adjusting and locknuts are 12mm--the provided open end wrench is I think 13mm and 11mm, dammit.

BTW that spindle nut is 27mm. You can get a socket like that at any auto parts store or Sears or whatever.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...