News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Adjustment / blond moment?

Started by Badger, February 10, 2005, 11:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badger

Quote from: "knarf"Hi Badger mate,

I just noticed your in Baise I'm in Newbury small world. :D

I mentioned this to you once before on TriumphRAT forum. By the way I work at Vodafone HQ. I have seen a yellow Tiger once near the Robin Hood junction. Was it you I wonder?
Growing Old Disgracefully

Robbie

Badger

Sorry for the stand comment.

The eccentrics can get a line of corrosion along the pinch bolt joint that will make them stiff to turn but free to slide sideways.

Also the brake torque arm can seize up a bit due to the salty conditions and give that side the same feel.

If you have the time strip out the wheel and look at the bits, if you need the bike then it is BFH time to knock off the corrosion line.

If you strip out the bits then donÌt be tempted to oil the eccentrics, the torque arm and spindle should be greased.

Spend some time checking the wheel alignment is correct when it is back together.

Good luck
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

Badger

Quote from: "Robbie"Badger

Sorry for the stand comment.

The eccentrics can get a line of corrosion along the pinch bolt joint that will make them stiff to turn but free to slide sideways.

Also the brake torque arm can seize up a bit due to the salty conditions and give that side the same feel.

If you have the time strip out the wheel and look at the bits, if you need the bike then it is BFH time to knock off the corrosion line.

If you strip out the bits then donÌt be tempted to oil the eccentrics, the torque arm and spindle should be greased.

Spend some time checking the wheel alignment is correct when it is back together.

Good luck

Cheers Robbie. I will have a look at the weekend.

By the way, no offence taken. I am a p1$$ taking bar steward myself

knarf

Quote from: "Badger"I mentioned this to you once before on TriumphRAT forum. By the way I work at Vodafone HQ. I have seen a yellow Tiger once near the Robin Hood junction. Was it you I wonder?

Oh I never noticed the post  on the triumphrat.net  forum  :oops:

Yes I pass the robinhood roundabout twice daily and I work the other side of Newbury. Big yellow beastie was prob me, I have a wing rack and a usually a big Givi top box on the back for my Laptop.

Traffic in Newbury can be a real pain, Unless your on a Tiger  :D

If you feel the need for a wee lunchtime run try the  B4494 Wantage/Old Oxford Road.  Its one of my fav roads and has a distinct lack of other bikes and cars. It'll take less than an hour to get to wantage and back.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

Badger

Quote from: "knarf"...Yes I pass the robinhood roundabout twice daily and I work the other side of Newbury. Big yellow beastie was prob me, I have a wing rack and a usually a big Givi top box on the back for my Laptop.

Traffic in Newbury can be a real pain, Unless your on a Tiger  :D

If you feel the need for a wee lunchtime run try the  B4494 Wantage/Old Oxford Road.  Its one of my fav roads and has a distinct lack of other bikes and cars. It'll take less than an hour to get to wantage and back.

I also go over that junction twice a day. As you say going through Newbury is a breeze on the Tigger. It's great that middle lane that is there just for bikes.  :D

I've ridden the B4494 before and it is a cracking bit of road. Anyway I haven't seen you for a while. What time do you pass through?

MikeF

The first time I adjusted mine I had the same problem. I even undid the axel nuts. I finally used one wrench on each side and it moved very easy. I just redid it last week and I had to use 2 again. Worked real easy. Don't ask me why that it 's needed, but it worked for me.

Badger

Quote from: "MikeF"The first time I adjusted mine I had the same problem. I even undid the axel nuts. I finally used one wrench on each side and it moved very easy. I just redid it last week and I had to use 2 again. Worked real easy. Don't ask me why that it 's needed, but it worked for me.

Thanks Mike. I looks as though riding through an English winter has got them a bit sh1tty. I will buy another 12mm Allen key and give that a go.

knarf

Quote from: "Badger"I've ridden the B4494 before and it is a cracking bit of road. Anyway I haven't seen you for a while. What time do you pass through?

I hit Robinhood Just before 9 if I can get out my bed in time  :) and anytime between 5 and 6 going home.

For those that don't know it's called robinhood because it robs you of god given time on this wee blue / green planet.  Unless your on a bike, I can save upto 30mins on 3 mile trip to work.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

Badger,

The eccentrics SHOULD move once you've got the end clamps undone. If they don't, I suggest that you take the wheel out and have a good look around it. Without the wheel in there you should be able to try each side seperately with some easing oil sprayed everywhere.