News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cam chain tensioner noise?

Started by radioactive slime, December 14, 2012, 10:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radioactive slime

What's the deal with the hydraulic cam chain tensioner making a clicking or rattling noise especially when the engine is cold and spinning about 2500 - 3200 rpm? My roadie began doing this after 2000 km but the dealer (on behalf of Mother Triumph) says its normal. Others out there report warranty fixes. Could this sort of condition be fatal or is it another quirk of the Brit-Bike. I love the machine and wish to see her healthy. Please comment...
"The mind is free when the tank is full"

blacktiger

Quote from: radioactive slime on December 14, 2012, 10:41:07 PM
What's the deal with the hydraulic cam chain tensioner making a clicking or rattling noise especially when the engine is cold and spinning about 2500 - 3200 rpm? My roadie began doing this after 2000 km but the dealer (on behalf of Mother Triumph) says its normal. Others out there report warranty fixes. Could this sort of condition be fatal or is it another quirk of the Brit-Bike. I love the machine and wish to see her healthy. Please comment...

It's not normal. If the dealer says it is then challenge him to compare your with his demo bike. Of course, it could be that his demo is faulty as well.............. :ImaPoser
Anyway, as you say there are people that have had theirs replaced under warranty and so should yours.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

blacktiger

My bike had been sitting in that garage since mid October. When I started her up yesterday, hell there was an awful clattering for about a second. I guess it was the tensioner without any oil in it after its lay up. Anyway, after that second, it all went quiet, so my tensioner must be working. :thumbsup
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.