News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Pleasant Valve Shim Related Surprise

Started by sweller, March 11, 2013, 11:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweller

This weekend checked the valve clearances on 96 Tiger, no great surprise the inlets had closed up necessitating the purchase of 2.00, 2.05 and 2.20 shims.  The exhausts were ok.

The big surprise was the cost - the local bike emporium was selling generic shims at GBP £10 each <gulp> what would they be from a Triumph main dealer?

GBP £4.35 each (about USD $6.50).

Not too bad - shame one's now at the smallest available.
Simon

Brighton
England

Bixxer Bob

World of Triumph (run by Lings) in the UK shows £5.06 or £5.22 for the in between sizes.  Stealer is not always dearer (just most of the time...)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

windscreenman1

Bugger thats more competition for a good second hand head !! :eusa_dance :qgreenjumpers

sweller

Yam/Honda ones seemed to be around £8 but didn't seem to go down small enough - although I didn't look properly at prices.

Having done a bit of investigation the way round the lack of smaller shim problem is head off, valve out and grind a half a millimeter off the end of the affected valve stem.  Allows a thicker shim to be used.
Simon

Brighton
England