News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk 1 1978 850cc

Started by Bixxer Bob, January 11, 2013, 06:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilD

Newtronics site says the charge light do oesnt work with their reg rec so assume the rotor is 'excited' ooo err  :hat10 by another means ?   

Bixxer Bob

God knows.....

I can rig 12v to the rotor, but the output will be on max all the time.  I have a circuit diagram for the motronics but haven't had time to study it yet.  More reading to do....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 22, 2013, 06:31:27 PM
God knows.....

I can rig 12v to the rotor, but the output will be on max all the time.  I have a circuit diagram for the motronics but haven't had time to study it yet.  More reading to do....

Just wondering here, as I remember on the old Lucas ACR alternators the warning lamp was 2.2w.
If Newtronics say thier reg/rec doesn't require the warning lamp, the theory could be the warning lamp is bridged so a 12v switched supply is sent to excite the field, thus causeing full output from the generator regulated by the reg/rec. It doesn't sound like a foolproof mod as the field is getting full amperage and may end up as an efficient heater, whereas with a lamp or resister in line it will only allow limited amps to the field, or am I rambling on a tangent!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Sin_Tiger

Surely if there is amperage going through the lamp it will illuminate all be it dimly, maybe that's considered normal on Italian electrics.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Newtronics does away with lamp. Has 3 ac wires, yellow, red charging wire, brown sensing wire and white wire which feeds rotor coils.  It must vary output on white to match need sensed on brown.

Only thing to do now is check all connections (which means pulling half the bike apart to get to them) then run bike with it all assembled and check output on white. If nothing, guess is reg rec is fubar'd
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Would you believe Honda had this system when the 650 fours came along. They caused much headscratching too.
Many of the charging faults were physical, even though it looked ok, it wasn't. One of the most popular was the brush set which looked ok as quite a bit of meat left on them but it wasn't quite enough to make contact with the comm. Another novel solution to a non existant problem. This system was sans lamp too.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

Iv'e read about the brush issue already so one of the first thing to check.  Enough studying, time to get dirty....

Bixxer Bob

We have volts!!! 

14.7 of the little bar stewards to be exact!

Simple fix once I found it, dodgy connection on the reg/rec power supply.  Once fixed I immediately had 11.8 volts on the white (exciter) lead going to the rotor windings.  Re'assembled the alternator, put the tank back on, fired her up and voila!!!

Somehow, the charging light works as well, butonly goes out when output reaches 14v so is on lit on tickover and at low revs.  Then it stopped working so I have that to look at next week.

Now she needs a good clean, the cowl and screen putting back on and the brakes and clutch going over.  Then she'll be ready for an MOT.

Thanks everyone for their input,  no doubt we'll be at it again when I start on the Laverda. :hat10

cosmo

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 28, 2013, 01:44:01 PM
... when I start on the Laverda. :hat10

"Italian manufacturer of high performance motorcycles"

Have we not learned?!?!?  :)

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Bixxer Bob

There are11 in the collection, all Italian; Morini, Ducati, Laverda and Gilera.  Oh, and a GasGas. :XXsunsmile

metalguru

So by the end of this you will have found all those little Italian intricate gremlins designed in at manufacture and you will have pulled every single hair from your head painfully one-by-one.

GOOD LUCK.

:BangHead
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

NeilD

well with those 'Zane' Laverdas, the engine was more likely to have exploded before the electrics had chance to give up the ghost!  :hat10

Bixxer Bob

John Stenhouse

My good friend Marcus had one of those......he loved it!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting