News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

XC Forks dismantling?

Started by blacktiger, January 29, 2013, 01:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacktiger

Anyone had their XC forks apart?
I wanted to perhaps reduce the preload (cut down any spacer in there) and/or remove some oil to make them a little softer and, hopefully, make the ride less jittery on the road. When I unscrewed one of the top caps, it didn't want to come off. When it reached the top of the thread it snapped back as if it was being held down by something inside.
Any clues anyone?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

It appears that the damper assembly is attached to the cap . and the cap screw #21 at the bottom looks like it holds the damper in the bottom of the fork
You more than likely have to remove that cap screw from the fork so that when the cap is unscrewed you can access the locknut #5 on the damper rod so than you could remove the cap .
they are just ass backwards conventional forks . the design is eerily similar to triumphs first hydraulic forks on the old 6t thunderbird from 63 years ago

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 29, 2013, 02:14:30 PM
I don't have any experience of upside down forks but the exploded diagram on WorldofTriumph might help:

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=100057397-2-2&block_03=560041

Thanks John I found that after posting this.

Quote from: Mustang on January 29, 2013, 03:18:27 PM
It appears that the damper assembly is attached to the cap . and the cap screw #21 at the bottom looks like it holds the damper in the bottom of the fork
You more than likely have to remove that cap screw from the fork so that when the cap is unscrewed you can access the locknut #5 on the damper rod so than you could remove the cap .
they are just ass backwards conventional forks . the design is eerily similar to triumphs first hydraulic forks on the old 6t thunderbird from 63 years ago

Thanks. Actually found this after hunting the web http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38739

Mustang

good find  :thumbsup excellent write up on how to do it .

blacktiger

Well, I took the plunge and replaced the bushes and seals in my forks today. It' very easy actually:-
Once you've got the legs on the bench, take the top cap off and drain out the oil. Remove the pre-load spacer and spring.
Bottom end of the outer tube:-
Ease the dust cap off with a screwdriver, remove the spring clip that holds the seal in place, and slide the leg and the outer tube apart like a slide hammer. That'll pull all the bushes and seal out and you have two lumps in your hands.
Now simply replace the old bits with the new bits and you're ready to reassemble. The bush at the far left on the chromed leg runs up and down inside the outer tube. There doesn't seem to be any special coating inside the outer tube.

I was concerned about getting the bush and seal seated in the outer tube but I made a driver from piece of gutter drain pipe, held to the right diameter with a cable tie.

Same driver at a different diameter for the seal.

Fill with oil and reassemble and it's job done.

Only trouble having done all that is that there's still some play at full extension. So, I'm concluding that the inside of the outer tube is worn.

NKL

I think you would be surprised how many bikes (even new ones) have play at full extension, if it's gone by the time it's at it's normal riding position it should't be anything to worry about.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

blacktiger

Quote from: NKL on June 04, 2013, 11:48:33 PM
I think you would be surprised how many bikes (even new ones) have play at full extension, if it's gone by the time it's at it's normal riding position it should't be anything to worry about.

You're right Nigel but how the hell do you check it when there's weight on it? Mine started to feel excessive and on conventional forks could well be an MOT failure. Also, on my 955 there's just a hint of play after 69K. So why are these USD forks so different?

NKL

My mate works for a Honda dealer and he has had brand new Fireblades with play in the forks at full extension.

Take the front wheel out (it's easier to do one fork at a time) undo the caps so you can easily move the fork leg up slightly and see if there is still play once moved off of topped out.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100