News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Map For Bixxer

Started by Chris Canning, February 12, 2013, 10:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Talking of fuel maps,here's my K after having a Rexxer map blown into the ECU.

Bixxer Bob

Good improvement!  If I can find it I'll post my Blackbird map after Mark Brewin  :qgaraduate at BSD breathed on it. It makes similar power to your K after the remap.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

The problem with dynos their all different,but having had my 1100s on the same one with all the bells and whistles at 100hp and seen various 1098's at mid 140's and up and a factory F09 at e'rrr  200+ it's a good reference,but just for those folk who think all aftermarket pipes are the same Rexxer ask for the make of pipe as the maps they supply are different pipe to pipe.

Bixxer Bob

Not doubting they're very good Chris.  Mark's dyno is the one most of the Peterborough-based bike press use.  He got me a free Power Commander for the 'Bird years ago when it was featured in Ride magazine.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 13, 2013, 09:23:30 AM
Not doubting they're very good Chris.  Mark's dyno is the one most of the Peterborough-based bike press use.  He got me a free Power Commander for the 'Bird years ago when it was featured in Ride magazine.

Having spent 3 years moving press bikes for MCN and mags,I should imagine I've spent a tad more time at BSD with Mark more than most,as clever as he is,he's needs to get his act together the game is moving on,the problem with Rexxer it requires investment from the tuner,he's had a dable but it doesn't work like that,he'll be looking down the throat of 30 grand for all the bits,the advantage to the punter he/she just pays for a map,no piggy back no fitting and in the world of milliseconds with no PC or Rapid bike fuelling is quicker,easy for me to say now,I've been on a steep learning curve since last august,when the first guy I spoke too announced 'Power Commanders will be gone in 3 year' as I've got two on different bikes I didn't agree at the time,but that was then and this is now!!!.

Bixxer Bob

I don't know about now, but in the past when I've spoken to him about Tuneboy or TuneECU he won't go near them because of the legal implications of using hacker software.  I don't know anything about Rexxer, I'll have to bone up on it......

Chris Canning

The punch line is 'Reverse engineering ECU' and yes it is computer/ECU hacking and it's very good and very clever,and yes I know Mark has shown reluctance with Rexxer,,so did my connection till he realised what was going on,go to a modern day race meeting everyone maps direct to the ECU,it's called progress so I'm told!!!,all part of the rather steep learning curve I've been on for the last 6 months.

Sin_Tiger

My Dyno guy is the local distributor for PC but privately he told me he likes TuneECU for being able to go straight in, so much so that I have to borrow my USB cable back from him when I need it. He was quite sceptical when I first told him about it 2 years ago.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on February 13, 2013, 05:45:55 PM
The punch line is 'Reverse engineering ECU' and yes it is computer/ECU hacking and it's very good and very clever,and yes I know Mark has shown reluctance with Rexxer,,so did my connection till he realised what was going on,go to a modern day race meeting everyone maps direct to the ECU,it's called progress so I'm told!!!,all part of the rather steep learning curve I've been on for the last 6 months.

Trackday warriors are probably using "reverse engineering",  race teams with cash will junk the maufacturers ECU and be using their own sensors and race ECU setup.  Triumph supplies an open ECU and mapping software for it's 675 Daytona race series.  You should try plugging "reverse engineering" software into Triumphs Explorer or Trophy and see where it gets you, or rather, you shouldn't cos Triumph have rigged it to be an expensive experience.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 14, 2013, 10:34:53 AM
Quote from: Chris Canning on February 13, 2013, 05:45:55 PM

Trackday warriors are probably using "reverse engineering",  race teams with cash will junk the maufacturers ECU and be using their own sensors and race ECU setup.  Triumph supplies an open ECU and mapping software for it's 675 Daytona race series.  You should try plugging "reverse engineering" software into Triumphs Explorer or Trophy and see where it gets you, or rather, you shouldn't cos Triumph have rigged it to be an expensive experience.

Your where I was 6 months ago!!! you've already derailed yourself,Reverse Engineering is the basic concept in other words there's no 3rd party,you've lost me with the trackday warrior thing!!.

The BSB championship last year to cut costs made every entry use a Motec ECU,you can access it yourself but it's pretty basic with no traction control and hence why you'll notice no 1198 Duc's,but you can still map it yourself.

I see your  bit about Triumph making it an expensive experience,yep been there as well,I see your digging in and resisting progress,people hack into the Pentagon and you think they can't with a Triumph ECU,have a look at how Rexxer work their system,no I don't mean mapping an ECU I mean how they sell their product and how they know what you are doing and how you pay,clever??? it's bloody rocket science.

As for the product itself,you contact them via a supplier with your bike and spec they supply you with ex number of maps,I said maps you don't get just one.

I could write War and Piece about how I got into this and what has gone since last august,I've even been to see another individual incognito who charges £360 a map and reckons he can do 9 in a day!!!!!!! and does,we didn't get on because my attitude is like yours is now,but sixmonths on have come to realise F me I can't beleave they can do this stuff,but they do,I was lucky because I've got someone who I can refer stuff too and was normally met with a wry smile.

Bixxer Bob

Bloody hell, Chris, you don't half jump to conclusions! First, I'm not arguing with you, just stating what I know.  Definitely not "digging in and resisting progress" . I like progress, as long as it's legal, in fact I'm working on getting a new piece of software working that connects to the bike via bluetooth to see if it's any better than TunECU.  I know there are plenty of people out there that are far better at this than me, but paying them doesn't give me the same buzz as doing it myself.  Next, regarding Triumph, I've been hacking encrypted software since the early nineties (although not on bikes, this was in communications ) so I KNOW you can never make a system totally secure.  Put it this way, a handful of maker's programmers trying to thwart many thousands of hackers is never going to work for long and where there's a market.......

Going on, call it reverse engineering, hacking, whatever.  It might be legal, it might not - bear in mind I use both Tuneboy and TunECU which is the same principle - but it's sure as hell going to void your warranty.  Not that that is a worry to any of us.

As I said before, and unlike you, I know nothing of Rexxer. Yet.......  so have no idea what they're about.  I'm pleased for you that they did a good job on your map. But in the car world ECU reprogramming is nothing new.

Edit: I've spent 10 minutes reading up on Rexxer. You suggested I was "digging in" over progress away from plug in boxes like Power Commander, but directly altering the maps inside the ECU is exactly what we've all been doing with Tuneboy and TuneECU for years.  Rexxer does nothing that they don't from a first look.  Tuneboy can change injector parameters and ign timing, (I'm not sure if TuneECU can though) just the same as Rexxer.  Where Rexxer does have an advantage is the modern bikes like Diavel but that's hardly relevant to owners of a Girly.  And of course their large map database.  By the way, before I ran a new map, I'd need to know who wrote it and look at the numbers to see what they'd changed.  Getting it wrong can be very expensive.  But before you jump again, I'm not knocking your contacts, I'm sure they're at the very top of their game  :hat10

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 14, 2013, 06:28:23 PM

Edit: I've spent 10 minutes reading up on Rexxer. You suggested I was "digging in" over progress away from plug in boxes like Power Commander, but directly altering the maps inside the ECU is exactly what we've all been doing with Tuneboy and TuneECU for years.  Rexxer does nothing that they don't from a first look. 

Except it's 3 bloody grand..................

Software "ECM Titanium Map-Editor"
With our newly developed Software "ECM Titanium Map-Editor" you have the ability to modify all functions of the ECU infinitely. Engine maps, pre-ignition, lambda, outlet control, display notice and the immobilizer can all be modified.
PRICE:
2.998,- EUR
(VAT incl.)
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Aye, I spotted that too......  :hat10

Sin_Tiger

OK now that's blown over.

You need wheel sensors, normally associated with ABS, to use traction or launch control, an inertial sensor or MRU would probably be useful too.

Reading between the lines with Triumphs latest move, being a cynical B'std, I think it's either a case of the accountants / lawyers getting in on the act to limit their warranty / litigation exposure, always seems to happen whencompanies grow our are more successful in their field. Another conspiracy theory is that they are seeing how the EU regulators are pushing and trying to get ahead of the curve. Not that I subscribe to that, that's more Honda than Triumph who traditionally are more wait and see.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 15, 2013, 02:33:52 AM
OK now that's blown over.....

:ImaPoser

I think it's simpler than that Sin, I think Triumph are only interested in warranty claims.  Even on older bikes, if you tamper with a bike that is warranted and you screw up, it's your loss.  They'll know because the ECU logs events, so if you hook up a non-standard ie non-Triumph device it will record it.  You can of course clear the logs but that also looks suspicious doesn't it?  And Triumph isn't like a court of law, if they even  think you've tampered with a warranted bike the warranty is void.

I also think the reason for locking down the ECU on new bikes is to make owners pay Triumph service rates instead of fixing stuff themselves.  Of course, it could be altruistic in that they really care about their customers and want to save them from hurting themselves by tinkering with stuff they shouldn't  :hat10