News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Additional lighting for my new 1050 Tiger

Started by kraftykarper, February 14, 2013, 07:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kraftykarper

Hi Guys,
After some happy years on the 955i, and a couple of trips to France,  I decided to move on to a 1050.
Love the bike, feels really light and nimble. I do like the Triumph brand, and just want to improve the lighting. To see better, more than to be seen. Looking at SW Motech crash bars with some Hawk lights on them from the Triumph square deals website here in the UK.
Are there any better alternatives out there, I'm not so interested in HID lights, with all the modification required, but would appreciate others thoughts or experience on the subject.
Might even get to ride the bike to work tomorrow, as there is no frost forecast tonight!
Come on the summer !!

Sin_Tiger

I went the HID route with the dip only, very happy with it, never had any complaints from other road users. I actually bought the kit to do the high beam as well but didn't fir it as I've found the HID dip is more than enough.

Don't be put off the mods are minimal and easily reversible, the extra kit tucks away without much trouble.

I still have the beam kit, all that it needs to use it as a dip is chafing the actual burner from H9 to an H7. If you're interested drop me a line as it's just sitting in the garage doing nothing.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

kraftykarper

I must admit I thought the hid rote would be a but of a job, but probably no more than fitting additional spot lights!. I,LL have a think about that and find out if that might present mot problems in the future. Got to ride the tiger to work this morning and it was great to be on the bike again.

Sin_Tiger

Not really, the only scary bit, if you're of a nervous disposition is drilling the hole in the plastic cowl, that can be fitted with a rubber bung in seconds. The electrics are really simple, unplug from the standard H7 lamp, plug the convector to the HID loom, remove H7 lamp, fit new H7 burner, tuck the two small boxes away under the cowl and lamp support,fit the rubber grommet, refit your plastics and screen and that's the job done.

If you're concerned about the MOT, disconnect the original from the HID loom, remove rubber grommet, remove the burner, wrap it up carefully without touching the glass and secure to one side, fit standard H7, plug original connector to standard H7 and you're back to stock, it's that simple.

I might have instructions, specifically for the Roadie, somewhere. The standard pattern looks weird, looks a bit like a half oyster with a tiny pearl in the middle, sod all use for actually seeing on an unlit road and damn scarry when you corner at any sort of speed.

I envy you, even in the cold, monsoon rains for the last few Weeks has not been much fun.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

zac69

There's a member called "marksbike" on tiger1050.com, selling a nice looking setup on ebay.
His ebay id is "lisaminipants"....strangely!

kraftykarper