News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bleeding Girly front brakes

Started by Fross, February 20, 2013, 12:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTT

Quote from: aesdj on February 20, 2013, 08:23:54 PM
This may sound like a load of bollocks but trust me it works.Put a CLEAN peice of pipe on to a CLEAN oil can and shove it onto the nipple.Open the nipple and pump loads of fluid in.I here this is called back bleeding.Lock the nipple and bleed as normal. I had to do this on the Tiger last year when I stripped them for powder coating.

I've done this many times on pesky hydraulic clutches.  I used a large syringe though, and pushed the fluid all way through to the master.  Messy as the master cylinder overflows fluid all over the place, but it makes sense to push air "up" the natural way it would move.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

cosmo

Seal the bleeder's threads with anti-sieze or something. A vacuum bleeder WILL pull air from around the bleed nipple.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Bixxer Bob

Well, all day to strip, clean and re-assemble one front caliper and strip clean and generally bugger about with the rear caliper.  Seized pistons, seized carrier pins seized brake pad pin.  Couldn't have been much worse really.  Now need new pistons.  So bleeding the bleedin' front brakes is still on hold.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Fross

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 21, 2013, 05:01:46 PM
Well, all day to strip, clean and re-assemble one front caliper and strip clean and generally bugger about with the rear caliper.  Seized pistons, seized carrier pins seized brake pad pin.  Couldn't have been much worse really.  Now need new pistons.  So bleeding the bleedin' front brakes is still on hold.....

I bought stainless steel pistons on eBay from eBay seller "vfrpaulvfr" I checked and he's not got any listed now but he has got some S/S pins which I think will fit the front callipers although he sells them in a set of three, for Beakers. You could ask him if he's any more 27mm pistons? I paid £12.99 a pair inc. P&P back in December, I thought very cheep so bought 3 pairs, and they fitted perfectly.
:thumbsup
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tiger-800-cnc-machined-st-steel-brake-pad-pin-set-/271151079975
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.
British Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

Bixxer Bob

Bugger, pulled the trigger too early  :XXcomputer, already got a set coming at much more money :BangHead
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Fross

Don't forget to buy some 'Red Rubber Grease' for the carrier pins. Do not use 'copper slip' as that swells the rubber and makes them stick.
This is an example:- http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/hl-382572/  you might find it cheaper on eBay. I've seen it in cycle shops rather than Motorcycle shops. I also prefer to smear it lightly on the piston seals when fitting them rather than using brake fluid like the manual suggests.
:thumbsup

2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.

Bixxer Bob

Yup, got some of that.  Good tip though, others might not have thought of it.

Bixxer Bob

Front all done, calipers were pretty good so just needed a good clean.  Bleeding was straight forward and got a good lever pretty much straight away.  Maybe because I started with it full of air rather than push old fluid through?  Bled the left caliper first taking time to allow any air to rise to the nipple then bled the right one, again taking it slowly. Once it was done a quick check-bleed on the left one and lever is nice and firm.

I didn't use the vacuum kit as I wanted to see if it was possible to bleed conventionally and get a good lever without buggering about.  Just waiting for parts :hat10

Fross

Well done, but after the trouble I had a good ol' Cockney phrase springs to mind.
LUCKY BLEEDER
:ImaPoser

Dev_1

Yup. Old post.
Was having trouble after installing new stainless brake lines. The 10+ pumps of the lever before cracking the bleeder screw did the trick  :bad ...even when my vacuum bleeder wasn't doing the trick.

thebiglad

I've just bled my front brakes using the same method - 10 pumps etc.

My set-up was clear pipe from the bleed nipple into a jamjar half full of brake fluid so the end of the pipe is under fluid.

8mm open-ended spanner and cracked off the nipple in advance of the bleeding;

Filled the master cylinder and replaced the top;

10 pumps and hold the lever towards the bar, then opened the nipple - on the lhs caliper just one big bubble; on the rhs big bubbles then lots of tiny bubbles. Then just clear fluid.

Now the lever feels rock solid and a lot less travel - hope it stays like that  :bad :bad :bad

PS Just to update the situation on the front brakes - been out for a ride this morning (Sunday) and the front brakes have the best feel, the most power and the least lever travel, since I bough the bike. I'm very impressed with them now. :thumbsup
2006 Tiger 955i

threepot

Yeah,what happened to Fross? He was at the Scotland meet,not heard from him since!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

PeteH

Quote from: threepot on September 15, 2016, 08:28:12 PM
Yeah,what happened to Fross? He was at the Scotland meet,not heard from him since!

He had the Tiger up for sale shortly after the meet....so reckon he`s in pastures new.....
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour