News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Explorer impressions

Started by RT, February 21, 2013, 02:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT

Had my new explorer since dec.   was tough to let the 955i go but have no regrets. 
Pro's
Better wind protection then I ever got on 955i.   Stock screen is better than mra on 955i
Stock. Saddle is very good. For once may not have to replace with aftermarket seat.
Power.  Very smooth power delivery.  Shaft is excellent. 

Con
Only one so far.  Pegs could be lower for my 34 inch inseam.  Mustang please offer lower pegs for explorer.  Can use me as test bike if needed

Frakels I added
Heated grips
Radiator stone guard
Home made mud flap extender for rear
Jessie panniers instead of Triumph bags

Still to add
Driving lights and who knows what else

All in all am really enjoying my new ride.  Triumph did there homework before building this bike. Glad I passed over the R1200gsa
Will post some pics soon
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

Sin_Tiger

Great to get some longer term feedback. The shorter ride I had I found the seat excellent and thought that it would probably be a different story on a full day ride, so that's good news.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

RT

Will post more on seat in a couple of weeks.  Right now have been riding primarily day trips of around couple hundred miles and really no issues. No hot spots or back pain Planning a longer ride for end of march during spring break.  Will see how 3 or so days in saddle works out. Oh yeah also added sw motoech risers, perfect.

Moorso

I am exceptionally envious!  :notworthy The Explorer  (1200) is the bike I most lust after!
Author of 'Valhalla and the Fjord'
Currently editing my second book: 'Hibernia - Journals from a Motorcycle'

Columnist for Motorcycle Explorer Magazine and Ulster Grand Prix

Even as a grown man, I still don't know what I want to do - trying to become Ted Simon!!

2013 Triumph Explorer

Sin_Tiger

Had a night ride on a friends the other night, 210kph before my bum clenched, she was still pulling mind. Don't think I've ever pulled a wheelie deliberately, that night was no exception, popped up in 2nd on the throttle without even realising what I was doing. Solid and oh so comfy  :notworthy
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

The Midnight Rambler

After a long and happy relationship I am changing my 06 955i for an Explorer.
Has anyone got an opinion on the need or otherwise for the touring screen?
I have always run the Girly with an MRA and the impression I got from the test rides is that the stock Explorer screen is a bit better. But is the bigger one better again?
Anyone for a nice 955i?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson

Sin_Tiger

On the couple of runs I did so far, I felt the stock was fine, 5' 10", the Palmer adapter will let a bit more air under it and give you a better range of adjustment which might suit better than being stuck with a big screen.

RT

This is something that I thought I would ever say but am happy with stock screen.  First bike I did not want to immediately swap out.  If I change will probably be for one of these. http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.5969/.f

Lots of good comments on triump explorer fourm on this screen

Tiger04

So I now have a new Explorer. I was lucky the dealer had Triumphs side panniers and heated grips and driver seat as a special. I also added the tank bag,top box and hand guards, all which he had in stock. I was sorry to lose my 04 Tiger 955i while on my trip to a head gasket failure :icon_cry:. but I am truly happy with this ride (and it's still a tiger). He did offer me a 14 trophy demo with a free top box if I didn't want the Tiger.
Henry
13 Tiger in Beautiful Sapphire Blue
"Tigers aren't for wimps"

Yukon

I replaced my 2006 955 in July of last year.  The TEX has been great.  You won't miss your 955 for too much longer.

metalguru

Have been running the std screen with BATZEN adjuster with a small Powerbronze bikini screen behind the main. Have zero turbulence up to the 137 speed cap. For the 6'+ amongst us, there is plenty of adjustment vertically for the std screen. Give Wolfie my regards when email for info  mailto:gsadventure@gmx.net

I originally thought the ride was choppy and bordering on harsh when I first got the Tex but with 7K on it now the suspension has eased up a bit. I don't ride with all the boxes attached and I am not the heaviest which could lead to the hard ride.
The saddle has also eased up with wear and is comfy for a days riding.

I cannot believe how much fun this bike has been, from touring to scratching with the sports bikes and every day commuter as I do not use a car, it excels at all I throw at it and still comes back for more.
I do seem to attend the fuel station frequently but that is only due to the amount of miles consumed.
I did think my old trusty 955 was good (which it is,,,VERY) this is in a league of its own.
Michelin PR4s fitted, as no off road use anticipated, make the handling spot on.
I must just go for another ride just to see if I can nit-pick and find something really wrong....Could be a long time.

:hat10
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

The Midnight Rambler

:iagree
I run the brackets with a touring screen and they have made a definite improvement.
It takes a little playing to get it right for your height etc but its worth it.
I also run Motech vario risers not unlike the ones in the pic which have made a world of difference to my shoulders on long runs.
As for the bike, well Metalguru has said it all.
PR4s rule on the road.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson