News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What Were You Doing When You Dropped Your Tiger?

Started by Slim Dave, February 14, 2005, 06:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim Dave

A totally non-scientific poll (as if there was such a thing as a scientific one). Thought it might be interesting as a safety point for the new owner (such as me, for example)

I don't know if the forum software will let you vote multiple times, probably not, so any additional comments are welcome (road conditions, slopes etc)

Thanks guys.

slim

pauljones1227

Put mine on its sidestand when it was only 1 week old, went into the house and about 10 seconds later....Crash !!!

I guess I was very used to my XT600 which could be chucked onto the sidestand and never fall over. To this day I'm still very unsure about the sidestand and give it a good shove everytime I get off now...or use the centre stand of course

zombie

was bimbling along minding me own business when Bambi jumped out and got a slap of the tiger in the arse and wrote me tigger off, mind you bambi didn't look to good either. You gotta love full helmets and leathers as I walked away with nary a scratch

Slim Dave

Quote from: "pauljones1227"Put mine on its sidestand when it was only 1 week old, went into the house and about 10 seconds later....Crash !!!

I guess I was very used to my XT600 which could be chucked onto the sidestand and never fall over. To this day I'm still very unsure about the sidestand and give it a good shove everytime I get off now...or use the centre stand of course

h'mmm, from the moral point of view I think that's a "Just standing looking at it, honest" :D

you leave it in 1st when it's on the stand?

ChrisN

On a quiet country lane I hit a patch of mud on the road whilst coming over the crest of a hill on a gentle right hander. Me and the Tiger left the road and I tried some high speed scrambling before eventually hitting a dry stone wall. I stayed with the bike until it was over and was amazed to stand up without a single scratch, just a sore finger on my left hand where the handlebars bent on impact. (thank god for those hand protectors and my sturdy gloves). I put a severe "U" shape in the front wheel, wrecked virtually all the front end plus the tank and other bits and bobs. Even the clocks got pushed into the top yoke!

To put the top hat on it, the bike was collected by an RAC recovery vehicle which, on the way home, took a sharp left-hander causing the bike to fall over and crash onto it's undamaged side!! The insurance company duely wrote-off the bike as a total loss.
Chris

BykBoy

Which time? I dropped both Tigers more times then I can remember...

Riding away with the disc lock still on.

At the parking lot.

Riding in construction sites.

Riding in deep sand.

Riding on jeep trails in CO.

Running into a guard rail on WV 211 at High speed.

Hydroplaning on the NJ Turnpike.

At the gas pump.

Trying to squeeze between cars at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel.

Trying to set it on the side stand on mud/grass/dirt/a slope.

After hitting the back of SUV.

You name it, I dropped it...

IÌm a klutz, I know... ThatÌs why I got the TB engine guards.  They protected me and the bike in all cases (except for the unfortunate incident with the SUV - that one led to 13 stiches on my knee, and the current 2001 black cat).
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

Slim Dave

Quote from: "BykBoy"...

IÌm a klutz, I know...

But a klutz with nuts, I'll say that for you. :D

BykBoy

Quote from: "Slim Dave"But a klutz with nuts, I'll say that for you. :D

Smashed nuts... :oops:
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

hellfire

Quote from: "BykBoy"Which time? I dropped both Tigers more times then I can remember...

Riding away with the disc lock still on.

At the parking lot.

Riding in construction sites.

Riding in deep sand.

Riding on jeep trails in CO.

Running into a guard rail on WV 211 at High speed.

Hydroplaning on the NJ Turnpike.

At the gas pump.

Trying to squeeze between cars at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel.

Trying to set it on the side stand on mud/grass/dirt/a slope.

After hitting the back of SUV.

You name it, I dropped it....

Hi,

Have you ever thought about swapping your bike for a dodgem car! :lol:

Happy and safe biking!....Andy
if it\'s not broken then fix it until it is!

BP_LONDON

Kicking out stand, but not all the way...

Pulling away with disklock on...

Reversing bike out at work...killed a scooter, but it broke the fall...

Dropped it another time, but can't remember how...

I love my Touratech bars...

:twisted:

tigerjohn

Bykboy - I like your animation. With your track record, you certainly need a very large helmet! Just not sure about the colour! :lol:

NortonCharlie

I dropped mine pulling out for a left turn,  must have had it in 2nd gear, just got it leaned good and let the clutch all the way out and is stalled the motor dead.  I had to much lean to hold it up.  I felt a bit silly with all the cars waiting for me to get out of the way.  At least I got it picked back up on the 1st try.

The second time it went down,  I was no were near the bike when someone backed into it and pushed it off the stand.  Hit on the left and landed on the right.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Dick Boyer

Pulled to a stop on the side of the road and my pal who is vertically challenged pulled up beside me, put a foot down, couldn't reach and fell over sideways taking me out too. Luckily no damage.

Slim Dave

While we're on the subject, is there an approved technique for picking up a 400lb+ bike from the street? (with or without dignity attached)

whoa

Quote from: "Slim Dave"While we're on the subject, is there an approved technique for picking up a 400lb+ bike from the street? (with or without dignity attached)

Of course, gripping with a front hold and lifting up once the wheels hold.  Back grip the bike from a squatting position and squat lft  the bike up.  But hurry, people are watching and snickering.