News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What Were You Doing When You Dropped Your Tiger?

Started by Slim Dave, February 14, 2005, 06:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kill Switch

Slightly inebriated.  Put the kickstand down on uneven road.  Bike was too high.  Fell over on me when I went to get something out of the pannier.  Very dumb.

Kill Switch

Quote from: "Slim Dave"While we're on the subject, is there an approved technique for picking up a 400lb+ bike from the street? (with or without dignity attached)

Squat and stick your butt slightly on the seat, grab the lower handle bar and the rear crash bar the back footrest is on and use your legs to lift bike.  Much the same as said earlier.

ridin gaijin

I was ice skating.

Quote from: "Kill Switch"Squat and stick your butt slightly on the seat, grab the lower handle bar and the rear crash bar the back footrest is on and use your legs to lift bike.  Much the same as said earlier.

:!: Have you tried this? It sounds like a really, really good idea. Thanks for posting it! :D

RG -- going out to the garage to push over el tigre and try this
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Gojira

Within the first two weeks of ownership I stall the bike turning left onto a main street in town.  I didn't even make it to the street.  It was a true noob manuever.  I felt much shame as the local fire man came over to check if I was ok.  (dropped it next to a fire station).   I bent the shift lever and the clutch lever.  Fortunately I didn't damage the tank.   I still need to get the crash bars installed.  Once they are installed I will probably never drop the bike again.

Kill Switch

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"I was ice skating.

Quote from: "Kill Switch"Squat and stick your butt slightly on the seat, grab the lower handle bar and the rear crash bar the back footrest is on and use your legs to lift bike.  Much the same as said earlier.

:!: Have you tried this? It sounds like a really, really good idea. Thanks for posting it! :D

RG -- going out to the garage to push over el tigre and try this

Actually watched an exhibition at a BMW rally.  Pro rider demonstrated the technique on a big K1200 LT like it was nothing.  Adapted what I saw to the Tiger...the grip spot in the rear may be different...but should work well.

MikeF

We went for a dirt ride a couple of days after I put on Thunder Bike bars on. With the wife on the back I tied to back down a rocky hill after going the wrong way. Fell over on the left side. Went on a little further down the fireroad and founnd Ice in southern california. Went down on the right side. This time I was near the edge of a drop off. Looked back to see if wife was OK. She was gone. She went over the side of the hill. I crawled over to the edge and found that she was hung up in a bush about 10 feet down the hill. If not for that one bush she would have gone way down the hill. As it was she was upside down laughing her as off. It was a good test of the bars.

Slim Dave

Quote from: "MikeF"It was a good test of the bars.

A pretty good test of the wife too - I'd say she passed comfortably.

One missing answer to the poll is "crashing". That would be me then!

Patrick the Scot

I was walking it out of the garage, getting ready to go ride.  Busted the footpeg in the process.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

barjan

Well, let's see.

first time was while standing at the side of the road on grass next to a stone wall. I looked around to talk and my foot slipped. The wall held the bike at approx 45 degrees; does this one count?

Second time was while putting the bike (with panniers and top box) on the center stand with wet boots. My foot slipped of the center stand and I just guided the bike down on it's right side....Of course in front of the office.

Last two times (on the same day) were on a on-offroad ride out when both times a big pool of mud did the trick (normal tourance tires). Tried to steer around it but failed. I just had hepco & becker crash bars installed and they tested fine.

All times no real damage to the bike, just some scratches on the panniers and the crash bar off course.

Another way to pick up the bike is to turn handlebars so that the front of the wheel points in the air. Put both hands on the end of the handlebar  that is on the ground while bending your knees and holding your back as straight as possible. Stand up, but don't go to far otherwise you will have to do the procedure again.....

Deltabox

ooh, moments of shame; makes for lovely fireside talk...

1) arrive at friend's house

2) decide where you want to park

3) turn off the engine

4) ease bike bike onto side stand

5) realise something's wrong

6) try to put out side stand after all

7) realise this is not going to work (similar to # 5)

8 ) contemplate for a sec just how much 200+ kg is to hold with one leg and one arm at a 30 degree angle

9) gracefully (-ish) ease bike onto handlebar

10) praise your luck it is dark and nobody saw you

11) less gracefully lift bike

12) sing praise of adrenaline/anger rush for making the lifting so easy

Next day:

13) curse adrenaline/anger rush for making the lifting so easy...

14) stay in bed

Oh, BTW, they're right: the theory is to squat with your back to the bike, grab lower handlebar end and rear carrier frame (I think) and lift using your legs...

But that's theory, mind...
Red T400 (\'94)

Also: FZR 600 (\'91)

StevieB

Firstly - as a new contributer to this forum and the newly proud owner of '05 Tiger (in fast silver) ..... hello to all.

My first incident was when I arrived home from the showroom and parked the Tiger for the very first time on my very slightly sloping drive. This slope (which I had never worried about before with my Bandit) caused my new toy to roll forward while I was removing the luggage. Somehow I managed (whilst showing qualities of instant reaction, strength and agility never before demonstrated) to catch the beast before it started to lay down. Phew!

One important lesson learnt!

Green Geck0

Quote from: "Kill Switch"Slightly inebriated.  Put the kickstand down on uneven road.  Bike was too high.  Fell over on me when I went to get something out of the pannier.  Very dumb.

Sounds like my dump. Drinking in the backyard. Slightly inebriated. Decided it was time to put the cat in the garage for the night. Fired it up, hammered on the throttle into the garage. Grabbed a handfull of front brake to stop, locked up the front tire and it slid out from underneath me on the dust coated smooth concrete of the garage floor.

Dumped it onto the side of my van. I stood up & swore how stupid I was. Walked into the backyard and got a buddy to help me hoist my Tiger upright.

TB crashbars showed up the next day in the mail.

Curtis

Calgary, Alberta

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Green Geck0"Grabbed a handfull of front brake to stop, locked up the front tire and it slid out from underneath me on the dust coated smooth concrete of the garage floor.

Why not just stop cleaning the garage? Makes things easier. In a few months I'll be able to claim some legitimate trail riding just by parking for the night.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Deltabox

Lifting technique (pics!)

http://www.lcvm.nl/nieuwsbrief8.htm

(I will not be held responsible for any injuries incurred during this procedure... :wink: )
Red T400 (\'94)

Also: FZR 600 (\'91)