News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What Were You Doing When You Dropped Your Tiger?

Started by Slim Dave, February 14, 2005, 06:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Green Geck0"
Quote from: "Kill Switch"Slightly inebriated.  Put the kickstand down on uneven road.  Bike was too high.  Fell over on me when I went to get something out of the pannier.  Very dumb.

Sounds like my dump. Drinking in the backyard. Slightly inebriated. Decided it was time to put the cat in the garage for the night. Fired it up, hammered on the throttle into the garage. Grabbed a handfull of front brake to stop, locked up the front tire and it slid out from underneath me on the dust coated smooth concrete of the garage floor.

Dumped it onto the side of my van. I stood up & swore how stupid I was. Walked into the backyard and got a buddy to help me hoist my Tiger upright.

TB crashbars showed up the next day in the mail.

Curtis

Calgary, Alberta

Murphys law!

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Deltabox"Lifting technique (pics!)

http://www.lcvm.nl/nieuwsbrief8.htm

(I will not be held responsible for any injuries incurred during this procedure... :wink: )

Great site that thanks! Nice tips, and I love reading Dutch (I can read it but not speak it)

Deltabox

Quote from: "BP_LONDON"Great site that thanks! Nice tips, and I love reading Dutch (I can read it but not speak it)

Oh go on, then. It's only a small step...   :D
Red T400 (\'94)

Also: FZR 600 (\'91)

WildeKurt

Once in a gas staion:  Just looking at it.  I think the side stand is a bit high.

Once at 10-15 mph in loose gravel:  Bike was fully loaded for camping and what-not and the front wheel dug in.  Quite spectacular.  No harm done.

One while climbing a steep grade on a gravel road in a switch back.  I was too busy sight seeing to shift down into first gear.  As I came around I gave it some gas to kick the back tire around but nothing happend. Oops.

knarf

Car drivers are really nice at helping you, but with the tiger you need about 4 of them.

Well I can pick it up myself, but it needs a little bit of thought and I have a wing rack so its a little easier.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

Slim Dave

Well it only took a week, but i got that shiny paint dealt with right enough.

Saturday morning, about 6:15am, on Painted Rocks Road just off 67 north of Woodland Park in Colorado. Approaching a large map showing the details of a burn area, and on a bit of rough dirt I couldn't get my right leg out fast enough to stay vertical -- in my defence I have to say that it was 30F, and I was practiacally numb from the neck down.

Still the "pickup technique" worked great, and best of all there were no witnesses. ;)

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Slim Dave"Well it only took a week, but i got that shiny paint dealt with right enough.

Saturday morning, about 6:15am, on Painted Rocks Road just off 67 north of Woodland Park in Colorado. Approaching a large map showing the details of a burn area, and on a bit of rough dirt I couldn't get my right leg out fast enough to stay vertical -- in my defence I have to say that it was 30F, and I was practiacally numb from the neck down.

Still the "pickup technique" worked great, and best of all there were no witnesses. ;)

Sorry to hear that Dave. Any damage? Did you have crashbars installed? I'm afraid dropping it is one of those almost inevitable things with a large, heavy bike like a tiger. Slippery gravel, ice, petrol etc..

Slim Dave

Quote from: "BP_LONDON"Sorry to hear that Dave. Any damage? Did you have crashbars installed? I'm afraid dropping it is one of those almost inevitable things with a large, heavy bike like a tiger. Slippery gravel, ice, petrol etc..

No, no probs ... minor scratches on the pannier ("That'll buff out!") and on the shiny bit on the end of the handlebars .. it was a pretty low-speed event cos I had it semi-under control to about 45deg. Actually I'm glad I got it out of the way -- what are we, Harley riders who have to have polished chrome and mirror-like paint?

No engine bars ... been trying to get some Touratechs but they's like hen's teeth round here at the moment.

tigrotto

to be correct, slow cornering backward in a little slope... i don't know how to explain... anyway, the bagster protected the thank, just the turn indicator broke, and some scraps on the left carter..

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Slim Dave"
Quote from: "BP_LONDON"Sorry to hear that Dave. Any damage? Did you have crashbars installed? I'm afraid dropping it is one of those almost inevitable things with a large, heavy bike like a tiger. Slippery gravel, ice, petrol etc..

No, no probs ... minor scratches on the pannier ("That'll buff out!") and on the shiny bit on the end of the handlebars .. it was a pretty low-speed event cos I had it semi-under control to about 45deg. Actually I'm glad I got it out of the way -- what are we, Harley riders who have to have polished chrome and mirror-like paint?

No engine bars ... been trying to get some Touratechs but they's like hen's teeth round here at the moment.

Scrape here and a scratch there is nothing on a Tiger...it adds to the 'patina' that makes them look even better. A scrape on the bike is way better than a scrape on the rider anyway. I've heard numerous reports that touratech bars are scarse atm. Someone mentioned it might be the massive demand from the BMW 1200GS crowd which is keeping the Germans busy. I was lucky, SIBBO saw a set on eBay, I won the items and picked them up a few days later from the sellers house...for £30 cheaper than retail....suhweet  8)

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "tigrotto"to be correct, slow cornering backward in a little slope... i don't know how to explain... anyway, the bagster protected the thank, just the turn indicator broke, and some scraps on the left carter..

That's EXACTLY how I dropped my Tiger...3rd time... :oops: fortunately a small little scooter softened the impact. It was not pretty. :twisted:

Slim Dave

Quote from: "BP_LONDON"Scrape here and a scratch there is nothing on a Tiger...it adds to the 'patina' that makes them look even better. A scrape on the bike is way better than a scrape on the rider anyway. I've heard numerous reports that touratech bars are scarse atm. Someone mentioned it might be the massive demand from the BMW 1200GS crowd which is keeping the Germans busy. I was lucky, SIBBO saw a set on eBay, I won the items and picked them up a few days later from the sellers house...for £30 cheaper than retail....suhweet  8)

There you go ... you don't polish scratches on a Tiger and you don't clean the inside of a teapot - same thing, 'cos it all adds to the flavour.

ix

I've had two drops in the last 4 days, both due to stupid pilot error.

Sunday I was out for a test ride after a minor mechanical change, and leaving a stop sign while turning right, I accidently killed the motor (too much clutch, not enough gas). Since I was leaned over and barely moving when the motor stopped, the bike just started to go over, and I was powerless to stop the big pig from going all the way down. :oops: A friendly motorist helped me right it and I was on my way, no harm done.

Today, I was backing out of the garage when I remembered something I wanted to get. I leaned the bike back onto the side stand... only it wasn't there, because I had lifted it to move the bike. 8-[ Over she went, again despite my best effort to hold her upright. Worse, I discovered I can't lift the Tiger off the ground by myself.  :? I got a floor jack out of the garage and cranked the bike up by the left crash bar until it was up enough to muscle it the rest of the way (it didn't take much jacking; less than a foot of lift was enough). Now my crash bars match, with a little paint scraped off of each side... :roll:

BTW, I also discovered that when the Tiger is down on the left side, it leaks gas. I've had it down on the right side twice, and it hasn't done that before. Perhaps I was low on gas both times...?  

The Tiger is truly a Big Man's Bike. I'm tallish (6 feet, long limbs), so it's really nice having all the room to stretch out and sit comfy, but the weight and top-heaviness of the bike make it too much for my skinny, lightweight frame to handle once the bike is on the ground. I should probably pack a little shovel so that if I drop it off road, I can dig a hole under the tires to get the righting started... I'd hate to get stranded down a dirt road because the Tiger went over and I'm too weak to right it. A motorcyclist should be able to pick up his ride. It's only a matter of time before he'll have to...
- Ix

Advwannabe

What sort of Klutz drops his Tigger after less than a week of ownership? Thanks for the honesty folks, glad I'm not alone.

Went to put the bike on the centerstand, as the bike rocked backwards the ride hand side of the stand just collapsed! It was either let go or fall on top of the bike. Option "a" thanks. Righted with the technique, just a few scratches to the shiny RHS bar end.

But.....what sort of *&^%# designer pens a centerstand where the head of the Allen bolt runs in a bush that locates the stand and the bolt secures the stand to the frame? Lose a bolt and you are lucky if the stand doens't fly off while you are riding. Hello Mr Locktite and Mr Lockwire.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Flying Tiger

I haven't dropped the Tiger yet, but  I watched my wife's bike tip over while idling.  The factors that lead up to the fall:

Parked on the side stand pointing toward a slight down hill and the front wheel pointing strait ahead.  I figure the vibration of the idling motor, the slight incline and the front wheel straight forward was the recipe for disaster.  It slowly rolled forward.  No major damage but a few scratches.

Now, we always park on level surface or, if on an incline, face into the hill.  Alway turn the handlebars to the left and if parked, always leave it  in 1st gear so it won't roll.