News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What Were You Doing When You Dropped Your Tiger?

Started by Slim Dave, February 14, 2005, 06:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krasha king

So we had a lovely blast around the Kent countryside this afternoon with the missus on the back when we decided to pop in to see friends of ours. Their student son was shown around the bike and I jokingly mentioned this poll about dropping the Tiger - I was still virginal in that department.

While we're sitting in doors having a drink and a chat the son pops out and duly reverses his mums car into the Tiger! Scratched pannier, broken footrest and bar end but luckily the tank is unscathed. He is very very sorry and says that he is working this summer and to just let him know what the cost is - I can see his summer money disappearing!

I'll take the bike up to the dealers next weekend but does anyone know if you can buy just one pannier? I don't want to saddle the poor boy with a huge bill if I can help it.

And can we add another option to the poll?  :D

kev187

I had it idling on the side stand, it was fully loaded, all three cases.  I am not sure how I did it, I reached over the bike from the left for the helmet resting on the right side mirror.  My leg hit the shifter & "clunk" she went in gear, stalled & rolled forward off the stand.  As hard as I tried, I could not keep her from falling over.

Took two of us to lift her up!  Lucky I had put the crash bars on 2 weeks prior!!!

iansoady

Quote from: "krasha king"I'll take the bike up to the dealers next weekend but does anyone know if you can buy just one pannier? I don't want to saddle the poor boy with a huge bill if I can help it.

And can we add another option to the poll?  :D

To save the poor lad some money could you not just get it resprayed?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "krasha king"but does anyone know if you can buy just one pannier? I don't want to saddle the poor boy with a huge bill if I can help it.

:D

I managed to get a brand new cover on e-bay for £20 after dropping my Tiger a while back so it's worth keeping a look out there as they do come up from time to time.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

krasha king

QuoteI managed to get a brand new cover on e-bay for £20 after dropping my Tiger a while back so it's worth keeping a look out there as they do come up from time to time.

QuoteTo save the poor lad some money could you not just get it resprayed?

Thought about spraying but the plastic was soft enough to get a load of gouges that, I guess, would need filling somehow before painting.

Anyway, I did manage to get the bike to the dealers this lunchtime and found that I can buy just the outside half of a pannier for £120. Other prices if anyone is interested: Footrest assembly - £52; Knuckle guard - £19; Bar weight complete - £32.

The total bill is about £230 for parts only - apparently it could have a lot worse if the tank had got damaged as thats a good £400-500 for a new one!

The parts take about three days to get in so sounds like I should have something to do for the weekend!

Wrangler

Most Recent:

Did a breakfast run to Creemore Ont and back (about 6 hours).  Almost home but I am at 49,995 km's on the odo.  Take a detour to get above 50,000 for that day.

Pull in my garage thinking all is right with the universe and this is end of a really good day of riding.

Pull her up on the centerstand.  Look down, center stand snaps off and kicks out.  Bike starts leaning away from me.  Try to grab her but once she starts to go........ you know the rest!

Man did my mood ever swing from high to low

CHECK THOSE TORX BOLTS BOYS
I\'ve been from Tucson to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonopah

JOHNNY G

Reading this thread has been great therapy. I've laughed, I've cried. I've been down 5 times.  :roll:

1) Standing her up, and just keep going.

2) U- turn in the highway. Right between the lines w/ 70 mph traffic.

3) Climbing around on the bike, jumped off the right side peg and it followed me.

4) Caught in the woods on single track when the trail ran out. I did about a 10 point turn. Probably needed to do 12 points.

5) Another low speed u-turn, 10 minutes after getting caught in the woods. That was kind of an ugly afternoon.

I weigh 130 lbs. 5' 12" tall. I can pick up my bike twice in ten minutes. It almost killed me. :oops:  I unloaded the cases. I also heard once to lock the handle bars with the key. I thought that made a big difference. When she goes, she goes fast. Thunderbike bars have done very well on the last two low speed drops.
Johnny G

2002 Dew Green- Triumph Tiger

Tallerman

Had the Tiger OTR only three weeks. Maneuveing in a dirt parking lot to park safely. Turned a bit sharply (not a sharp turn for my old G/S with the Karoo knobbies on it) at .5 mph and it just flopped onto the ground like a grunt hearing a mortar tube.

Damn, that girl went down quick and hard (not a good thing in a motorcycle, I think).

I tried to pick it up and strained my back. Got some help from an amused passerby who turned out to be a Harley Dude and had some sympathy for me. (He demoed the pickup technique of squtting with his butt low and his back to the seat. First time I saw that -- and I was impressed. I acted like I was lifting too but really, he did all the work.)

Result: minor scrapes to my virgin Tiger, major back pain for a week for me, less confidence in my ability to handle slow speed turns.  

Went home and ordered the Thunderbike bars. They arrived after the Tiger was totalled in a crash resulting from the engine munching itself into oily bits, locking up the tranny, and flopping me onto the asphalt -- but that's a crash not a drop and it's all covered under warranty (though I still am Tigerless 2 1/2 months later--another thread, another time. Should pick up my 2006 blue Tiger next week.)
06 Caspian Blue Tiger

81R80G/S

TRKTEK

Wow my story seems a little lame after that one Mr Tallerman......

On my return trip from out west (Edmonton) with my daughter (trip report later with pics), in Foam Lake, Saskatchewan, I did the typical "attempt to take off leaned over to turn in 2nd blunder"......

needless to say, 2 up, loaded with luggage and full of fuel.....

Down she went   :oops: .....busted my right footpeg off, stole the passenger one and as luck (?) would have it a helpfull mechanic in a John Deere dealer lent me the required wrenches and sold me a large bolt and two nuts and in short order we crafted up a usable substitute....but boy is it UGLY....

so the old girl is now a road warrior (the bike not the daughter)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Hoot

First post here, so I might as well come clean now.

I might not be the quickest to drop the Tiger, but I must be the quickest to drop it twice.

Picked the new '06 up from the dealer on the other side of Knoxville. Got through the terrible rush hour traffic, through the awful road conditions resulting from major construction on I-40, up through the mountains to home. Great ride but boy my butt hurt.

Get past the fence and think to self, "Self, you used to tear up the offroads on your Honda XR250 back in the day, let's see what this beast can do in the horse pasture".

Up the hill into the pasture and its driving fine, no crazy stuff as I'm still very early in the break in phase, just tooling around a bit, as the horses watch and wonder what the heck this alien is doing in their pasture. Head downslope into a bit of a rocky area and find a rock. Down we go, right mirror broken, right front direction broken. Dang, well I guess now I don't have to worry about my first fall. Pick the bike up, get her started, head back downslope towards the house. Find another rock. Down we go. Left mirror broken, left front directional broken. Foot...broken. Pick her back up, down to the house, get it parked. Hobble into the house, grin sheepishly at wife. "Hon, I dumped the bike and I think I broke my foot."

Her response "How's the bike?"

Two weeks later I still have to put 150 more miles on her before my first service next Wednesday. Won't be doing it in the horse pasture  :oops:

iansoady

Quote from: "Hoot"Her response "How's the bike?"

Good for her.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Hoot

Quote from: "iansoady"Good for her.

Yeah, no doubt, although I'm fairly certain she realized that I'm a complete idiot before she got seriously involved with me  :wink:

Other than the mirrors and the directionals the bike is fine, just wounded pride (and foot) for me.

Note to self - Offroad instruction and complete engine guard, radiator and cooler guards before anymore stunts like that.