News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

hello all good to be back.

Started by ynotbiker, March 06, 2013, 06:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynotbiker

Hi all im new to the site. I bought myself a nice black 1997 steamer in sept. I did own one about 8 yrs ago but at the time I was changing my bikes like I change my underpants. the steamer always stayed in my mind when owning newer models such as ktm 990 adventure, 1200 gs, multistrata, 2 995i tigers. anyway as money has been a bit short lately ive bought this steamer. I must say I love it just as much as all the newer bikes ive had. the bike just does something to your soul. the bike has 30,000 miles on it and has had 7 owners. ive got all the mots to back up the mileage. good service history and ive just put on new discs, pads, and seals and also service, the valve clearances were done at 26,000. I know im getting paranoid but doubt is creeping in . reading posts on here I know most folk post their problems. what it is is that I go on a long trip every year and this year it is spain Corsica Sardinia. its about 6000 miles. im deffinately not mechanicall . when I leave in august the bike will have about 34000 miles on it. I was going to get a small service before I go new tyres etc. just worried about breaking down for instance on Sardinia where no parts would be available. should I take parts, if so what parts. I know its hard to say if anything will go pear shaped or not. I suppose im just after reassurance all will be fine .love the site in parts  :thumbsup thanks tony

windscreenman1

Hello and welcome
Take a crank position sensor  for definate and make sure you have a tool kit to swap it over these tend to go without warning ! Total pwer loss feels like you ran out of petrol let it cool and it may start and run till hot again I would say that this part is a must for any long trip
I'm sure there will be others  but this part is a must and doesnt take up allot of space
Cheers

ynotbiker

cheers for that. maybe we could meet up for a ride sometime as you are only a few miles away. as I said im not mechanically minded , maybe you could show me where it fits. it would be nice to see another steamer owner as I havnt seen many about in Newcastle. give it a few weeks though to let it get a bit warmer. :thumbsup

threepot

And a spare set of coils,leads,plugs,cdi unit,spare fuel tank just in case yours starts leaking,new fuel tap,sprag clutch,fork seals,full tool kit..ummm cant think of much else?? Maybe a fresh battery.
Only joking. I'd take the crank pick-up,basic tool set,oil,bulbs,fuses. Just service it and go enjoy :thumbsup
If you meet up with windscreenman,maybe he can show you how to carry out basic checks..oil level,coolant,fuses etc.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ynotbiker

stuff it going to go with big service before go,and get new crank pick up fitted at same time for peace of mind thanks for tips lads  :thumbsup

Geoff W

I am just down the road as well. if you and/or windscreen man want to meet up for a ride or a pint PM me. I have done trips to Europe most years on my steamer and the only serious thing to go was the crank sensor. It works again if you let it cool. However loosing all power in the outside lane of a very full and very fast Dutch motorway with no hard shoulder, does concentrate the mind wonderfully.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

windscreenman1

I need to get mine finished up and mot is due this month and tax and insurance so expensive month for me
she has been a major headache this winter cost a fortune to get her road worthy  when I got her I had loads of things that were fubar finally got it all back together and now I get lots of smoke from cold start going off when shes warm but runs sweet not using any oil or water so gonna run it and see what gives done all top end new head gasket , stemseals ect
Cheers fellas for the invite maybe when this month over ill get around to a ride out
Hope I havent missed anything for , MOT
Mmmmm
Cheers
Mark :wave

If I can help I will  I work long hours but you can always give me a shout through here  or pm me

Bixxer Bob

We seem to be developing a strong NE contingent!  I'm in Shildon at the moment visiting me mam but in the car sadly (can't get 2 eight foot lengths of  6 x 2 Mahogany on the Girly).  I have a friend in Jarrow who has a Steamer  wth a custom yellow/gold paint job. You can't miss him, he's a big lad, makes his Steamer look like a minimoto.  He doesn't do computers tho' let alone join a forum :hat10
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ynotbiker

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 07, 2013, 12:20:20 PM
We seem to be developing a strong NE contingent!  I'm in Shildon at the moment visiting me mam but in the car sadly (can't get 2 eight foot lengths of  6 x 2 Mahogany on the Girly).  I have a friend in Jarrow who has a Steamer  wth a custom yellow/gold paint job. You can't miss him, he's a big lad, makes his Steamer look like a minimoto.  He does do computers tho' let alone join a forum :hat10
sure ive seen this bike parked outside my local swimming baths very bright.looks nice  :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

That's the one, he's one of the managers :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ynotbiker

ask him if wants to sell know fellow who wants one  :thumbsup

ynotbiker

yes it would be canny , a pride of tigers on a ride out. windscreen man mine also smokes a bit. I asked my local garage when it was in for a service about it and he said it was just the water lying in the bend of the exhaust letting off steam always looks worse with cold and damp conditions. anyway it might sound a bit cheeky for a newcomer to the sight but if anybody would be up for giving my bike a big service before my trip I would be willing to pay as much as it would cost at a garage. knowing the fact that it would be done in a slower manner by a steamer lover than local mechanic rushing to get to the next job. maybe I could help and learn a bit at the same time. I would like to keep this bike for a long time. also it would be a bit of cash for your hols too. hope your on the road shortly windscreen man. keep me informed mate

threepot

ynotbiker..that's a good testiment that youv'e come back to a 'steamer'after the other bikes youv'e had..inc the BM!Check my thread..'Steaming'Steamers. I was a bit concerned about mine,thought head gskt? But it seems quite common? White smoke/steam is water vapor,blue is engine wear/oil burning. I've been assured if its not using water,nothing to worry about. Maybe thats why their called steamers??LoL
95 Super111
96 Tiger

windscreenman1

Well had her in for mot and she passed with no advisories yahoo !!!
I would be able to do your service you would need to get all the parts and leave the bike with me for a day or two let meknow closer to the time  in the meantime you can organise your service items
I have weekday evenings to tinker in the garage as caravan season start s at the end of this month and weekends are a no no till oct I'm no mechanic but I do all my own maintenance
I trust me !
Let me know and as I said if I can help you out I will
Cheers
Mark

ynotbiker

that's great mark thank you no doubt I will see you before service is due for ride out,me and couple pals going to Ireland on 10th may.its a meet off the adventure rider site looks good if you are up for it.give caravan a rest its only 3 days.never done Ireland