News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

5'11 or taller recomended

Started by coachgeo, March 12, 2013, 04:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachgeo

in an add on craigslist a fellow says about a 1997 Tiger Steamer

Quote from: craigslistI wouldn't consider this bike if I was not at least 5'11'' (no offense), as it is top heavy and rides "high."

About his statement: What say you?

If lowered in the ways described on this board (ecentric turned, lower seat, fork tubes slide up).........  then what say you about hight range of rider a Steamer  fits?
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Nick Calne

I agree with the poster.

Most tiger riders are quite tall and it does ride 'high'.  Have a look at this photo at the UK2011 meet up.  I'm far left and 6'2"... certainly not the tallest rider that day, nowhere near in fact!

Coolhandluke's bronze tiger is on the right and it looks taller than the Girly and the beaker bikes.  It is massive compared to my daytona.

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

coachgeo

Quote from: coachgeo on March 12, 2013, 04:58:28 AM
in an add on craigslist a fellow says about a 1997 Tiger Steamer

Quote from: craigslistI wouldn't consider this bike if I was not at least 5'11'' (no offense), as it is top heavy and rides "high."

If lowered in the ways described on this board (ecentric turned, lower seat, fork tubes slide up).........  then what say you about height range of rider a Steamer  fits?
and what say you on lowered? Thanx in advance for any info.

Sin_Tiger

Coach, I would wait till you get the monster on the road. The weight and distribution is bound to be different, so might the ride height. Working with the standard set up Erroll give you a baseline to work from, or back to if it all goes pear shaped.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

coachgeo

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 15, 2013, 02:36:38 AM
Coach, I would wait till you get the monster on the road. The weight and distribution is bound to be different, so might the ride height. Working with the standard set up Erroll give you a baseline to work from, or back to if it all goes pear shaped.
Eroll?   Weight and distribution will of course be different. Height won't unless we go to shaft drive, or flip the sprocket to other side etc. which changes all geometry. Was hoping to plunge in deep and ride it to Cincinnati area where I live from Dallas where it is being built (where I use to live) after its done.  Am just trying to plan ahead for that possibility. 

May have to pay to have it shipped but that cuts into the build budget.

Sin_Tiger

Flynn  :hat10 auto correction  :doubt

Riding is of course going to be more fun if you can manage it and a lot cheaper on diesel  :love10 also drive characteristics from the diesel engine be different from that of a petrol engine and I think you will want to take that into account when setting up your suspension. I know this from doing diesel conversions on cars, what I knew was a good set up with respect to braking control, drive out of corners, grip and ride just wasn't right with the diesel engine, even though the weight difference was no more than a few donuts
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

abruzzi

Its all technique.  I have a bike with a 38" seat height.  When I'm riding it down the road, with both legs fully extended, I'm still several inches from touching.  I'm 5'10", wear jeans with 30" inseams.  I've owned a 955 tiger, Steamer, KTM 950ADV (the earlier tall ones), and a KTM 640ADV.  The 955 tiger was my first adventure bike, so it took me a couple of week to really feel comfortable.  Since then, I never look at seat height when I buy.  I just assume that if its a tall bike, I'll have to slide off the seat a bit to get a foot down at stop lights.

Flat footing is overrated.

Geof

iansoady

Quote from: abruzzi on March 18, 2013, 06:35:09 PM

Until you need to do it in a hurry and your foot ends up in a hole.....

I have fairly short legs and although the Tiger is fine once on the move (in fact very stable and easy to control)  it can be a handful when starting /stopping, especially on adverse cambers / steep slopes / greasy or uneven surfaces. I wouldn't try to put anyone off but it's a heavy and unwieldy thing and once it decides to go down there's little you can do about it. Flat footing from a secure position on the seat gives psychological security if nothing else.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

John Stenhouse

Or steep garage forecourts on the BTBR Coast to coast...............Once Marcus had stopped laughing and we picked the beast up we came seventh
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

abruzzi

Quote from: iansoady on March 19, 2013, 12:06:26 PM
Quote from: abruzzi on March 18, 2013, 06:35:09 PM

Until you need to do it in a hurry and your foot ends up in a hole.....

I have fairly short legs and although the Tiger is fine once on the move (in fact very stable and easy to control)  it can be a handful when starting /stopping, especially on adverse cambers / steep slopes / greasy or uneven surfaces. I wouldn't try to put anyone off but it's a heavy and unwieldy thing and once it decides to go down there's little you can do about it. Flat footing from a secure position on the seat gives psychological security if nothing else.

That's best solved by being careful where you stop, and learning how to pick up you bike when you drop it (and not being too in love with your paint job that you fear dropping it.). I haven't been able to flatfoot any bike I've owned for the last 5 years.  I hate to be dickish, but that is simply the way with these types of bikes.  Tigers, KTM Advs, BMW GSs, Yamaha Teneres, Suzuki VStroms.  They're all tall, and they're mostly heavy.  Once you start looking at so-called "adventure" bike it's simply a fact of life, and while some who get into them go to great lengths to drop the seat height down, I think it's better to accept their height and learn the riding techniques that make it a non-issue.

Geof

Sin_Tiger

:iagree get over it and get on with riding p :thumbsup

Spud

I'm 5 10 and don't have to many problems, though once it decides to have a kip it will  :sleepy1 cheers Spud  :thumbsup

chappers

iam 6 foot3 and i drop my tiger twice on the same day last year . what a tit i felt  lol