News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

High Vis Steamer Paint Job

Started by coachgeo, March 14, 2013, 05:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachgeo

ok guys........ looking for ideas.  Want to High Visibility paint job on my Steamer yet somehow keep it from looking like "Pimp My Ride".  All my riding Gear is black except my Hi-Vis Yellow helmet.   I found Hi-Vis material and cloth webbing I can add to the pants, jacket etc. that I can get someone to sew on the gear to be a bit more hi-vis out of what I have and maybe keep a bit of classic look.

Yellow bike like old yamaha's?

Don't want Gaudy Police BMW

While the version on the bike in bottom right corner below not bad

Granted I could paint the Hi-Vis yellow helmet to Hi-Vis orange and go with Orange instead?

Gloss Black bike with Hi-Vis Yellow (or Orange)  Tiger sticker or custom paint orrr?

Flat Black like above?

Gunsmoke Grey like above?

Any Artist in here got a simple idea? Any good Photo Shopper's who can make up some models?

COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Mustang

Hi Viz is over rated ....it doesn't necessarily work .

Defensive riding works far better , take an MSF course .

coachgeo

Quote from: Mustang on March 14, 2013, 05:53:11 AM
Hi Viz is over rated ....it doesn't necessarily work .

Defensive riding works far better , take an MSF course .
A study done in Europe disagrees with you about Hi vis not working. Studies in visual eye capture of sport ball (Tennis, baseball, Soccer etc) disagree too. Granted there might also be studies to counter studies on the topic of High Vis bikes though. Just have not run across them.

MSF course #1 already signed up and paid for.  Plan on taking level 2 as well and possibly level 3 once I get more acquainted with how it handles.

coachgeo

Interesting topic of Conspicuous over at Adv. Riders sheds some great light on the subject (pardon the pun)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16469

Mustang

I know many people who drank the Hi viz kool-aid and still got hit by cars .

The average car driver just doesn't see motorcycles , even if they are flashing NEON fucking pink .

This aint yurope.....................
get some real world experience  and then get back to me !

Sin_Tiger

I'm not convinced about the hi-viz either, the eye may see it bit the brain has to register it before it's of any benefit.

Every man and his dog wears hi-viz these days, even while they are driving their white vans, I suspect to many brains it's a case of familiarity breeds contempt. In the case of locally it's more a snobbery issue, "is only a motorbike, never mind". I've lost count of the number of times I have been level with a car or van when they decided to pull out, hit the horn, they hesitate, look and see the bike, then decided to keep coming.   :doubt
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Dutch

Agree hi-viz isn't the holy grail, but every time it helps for a car driver to see you a bit earlier is a bonus. The helmet is the highest point so  that's an excellent start. Imho a lot better than black or grey.

For the bike: do what you like, but I fear that if a driver doesn't see the head light, he/she woundn't see flashing neon pink either. On the other hand: I remember an old story about a guy buying an ex Dutch police bike. The police paraphernalia had been taken off, but the orange stripes where still on the bike. Owner decided to take them off later, but when he noticed cars gave him more room than usual he never  bothered.

As for the old skool Yamaha look: having ridden Yamaha for over 20 years (rode an XS 400 Maxim accros the USA and owned an FZ750 for 18 years from new) I have to give that the  :thumbsup

John Stenhouse

Not sure it's the high viz that works, I bought an ex police Pan European and despite having all the high viz removed it was great for motorway work, people just got out of the way............no idea why!  :notworthy
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

+1

Long distance commuting for 3 years I sometimes wore a green high viz jacket over my gear for warmth.  Coming up behind cars you could see them start to slow to the speed limit at the same time being distracted, trying to work out whether you were police or not.  Their eyes tell them you aren't because the bike isn't right but subconsciously they associate green viz with the law and in a second or two they decide not to risk it and pull over.

One young lad in a Golf was chatting away on his phone while negotiating a roundabout so I gave him a wide berth then powered past him as we joined the next road. As I pulled alongside he looked up,saw the green viz jacket and threw his phone over his shoulder. I wagged a finger at him and rode on, laughing all the way.  :hat10
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Sorry Coach, back on track......

I'm very interested in the dip paint someone posted yesterday.  It means you aren't committed to a change of colour, yiu can always go back by peeling it off.

Found it: http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,12292.msg91538.html#msg91538
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dutch

Wrapping with foil is also an option. For the idea a link to a topic on motor-forum.nl, the largest Dutch site for bikers: motor wrappen

Sin_Tiger

Hi Viz or Hijack  :hat10

There are a multitude of "Sticker shops" around here that will  "Wrap" all your plastics, in fact they do whole cars, for less than 100 quid, that includes full race reps or glow in the dark plod look alike if that's your bag.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

coachgeo

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 14, 2013, 01:42:06 PM
Sorry Coach, back on track......

I'm very interested in the dip paint someone posted yesterday.  It means you aren't committed to a change of colour, yiu can always go back by peeling it off.

Found it: http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,12292.msg91538.html#msg91538
THANK YOU for the back on track folk.  A discussion on the warrants of Hi-Viz or not would make a good seperate topic.  Someone start a thread on it and maybe Mustang can move the post on that to that thread.  Or read and add your .02 on the subject at Adv. Rider thread linked previously.  Here I'm looking forward to ya'lls ideas on Paint Scheme's

As to the Plastic Dip Paint job, that was I who posted about it and that is my plan.  Have also already begun to investigate how that dip coating handles fuel spill/drops around the fuel cap etc.

Mustang

no ones gonna see the Hi Viz anyway ....................... :ImaPoser

coachgeo

Quote from: Mustang on March 14, 2013, 07:19:05 PM
no ones gonna see the Hi Viz anyway ....................... :ImaPoser....

Sure they will......... just not if there behind me :pottytrain2

Audi Diesel Wins again