News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A spur of the moment purchase...

Started by lwad, February 17, 2005, 10:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwad

ebay will be the death of me :roll:

Just made a spur of the moment purchase, no time to ask questions so I put in 1 bid, not expecting to win, oops

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWA:IT

Now, I have some questions,

1.  Will this really fit all the models he said it will (I have a 1999 855 model)?

2.  How will I tell that it is the race (offroad?) silencer and not a stock one?

3.  Is that how the race pipes are sold with the intermediate bit?

4.  Can I use it without getting the 'engine tune' done by a triumph dealer.  I would intend getting it done, but I would prefer to fit the silencer then get the tune done next time I get the bike serviced?

5.  Why did noone else want this, it doesn't seem a bad price?

Thanks

ChrisN

Congratulations.

1. poor photo but it looks like a race can for the 955i engine only.

2. it will state "NOT SUITABLE FOR ROAD USE" on the lower rhs of the silencer.

3. the intermediate pipe is not normally supplied or needed with the race can ?

4. it's not advicable to use the can without the matching tune - takes Triumph dealer seconds to install so shouldn't cost much.

5. price looks ok but depends on condition
Chris

lwad

Thanks for the quick reply Chris.

As long as it fits, I'm sure it'll be ok, not sure if the difference between the engines makes a difference (I'm comming from Supermoto bikes where people use whatever cans fit).

If all else fails, it can go back on ebay.

BykBoy

Quote from: "ChrisN"Congratulations.

3. the intermediate pipe is not normally supplied or needed with the race can ?

I think this is a 1999 - 2000 885 pipe. The intermediate pipe replaces the catalytic converter. The 2001 - 2005 955i tiger does not have a catalytic converter so the manifold is longer. The pipe fits both the 885 and the 955i models. I bought the same pipe for my 1999 885. After I totaled the bike, I put it on my 2001 955i.

If you are fitting it to a 1999 model, remove the catalytic converter and connect the intermediate pipe to the manifold. Then connect the exhaust pipe to the connecter. It shouldnÌt take you more then 30 min. The only tricky part is reaching the bolts that hold the catalytic converter in place. You will need an extension rod for your socket wrench since the bolts are smack dab in the center under the bike.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

Brock

Bykboy's right.

£80 is a bloody good price...well done.

Get the right tune installed ASAP to avoid damage to the valves.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

lwad

Thanks for the replies guys, I fell a bit more relaxed about the purchase now.  Just gotta wait for it to arrive.  I was suprised there wasn't more interest in it, especially as there has been recent posts about what exhaust to get.

Finger crossed, but htis will be the first bargin I've got off ebay.

max1198

I ride a 2000 885 and have the Triumph race can (A9608018). The can for the 955 is A9608004 so as the picture on eBay has the box, you should see the part number on it when it arrives.

I was going to sell mine but once I put it on and got the tune changed, it staying on (except for MOT's).

Have fun, you will enjoy, especially at that price.

lwad

Quote from: "max1198"I ride a 2000 885 and have the Triumph race can (A9608018). The can for the 955 is A9608004 so as the picture on eBay has the box, you should see the part number on it when it arrives.

I was going to sell mine but once I put it on and got the tune changed, it staying on (except for MOT's).

Have fun, you will enjoy, especially at that price.

I take it that for MOT's you'll just swop the cans over and not bother with getting the tune changed?

tigerjohn

Iwad - have a word with your dealer before your MOT. Some are pretty relaxed about the Triumph race can, as it's not exactly anti-social in terms of noise.

max1198

Yep.

We have MOT's done differently here in NI so we have to go a dedicated centre not just a local garage.

I'm told it's OK to run a standard pipe on a race can tune but not the other way around as it causes the engine to run too lean.

lwad

It arrived today.

Looks as good as new excpet 1 small dent,

Not for Road use stamped on it and fitting instructions for the 855.  Still in original box with original packing and rivits to connect heat shield.

So I'm a happy bunny.  Just need to find a loca(ish) dealer now to do a service and fit the can (and tune).

piggydude

Don't know where you are in West Sussex, but you could try Alf's in Worthing.

lwad

Quote from: "piggydude"Don't know where you are in West Sussex, but you could try Alf's in Worthing.

I am near Horsham.  I've had a look on the triump dealer web site and Alf's is the closest to me.  Need to book some time off work now and get it serviced.