News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sasquatch Fix

Started by Bixxer Bob, April 11, 2013, 04:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Humble pie time.    :hat10

I wasn't convinced by the theory behind the Sasquatch fix, but I tried it while doing my CCT today.  Only took 5 minutes to make up the leads and fit them.  Result?  Tickover went from 12.8v to 13.8v,  at 4k rpm went from 13.1v to 15.2v - which is a bit high if anything.  With everything on (main beam, heated grips, 55w driving lamps x 2) I still have 13.2v at tickover.

Now I'll be worrying I'm frying my battery... :doubt
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

:iagree

Same on mine and the 100/90 headlamps are far better.
Battery is ok it's sealed Motobatt gel matt type.
Just a thought, but check the main fuse condition (the one beside the battery box).
There are a lot of old Jap bikes that had similar looms that went round the sun to meet the moon not sure why when trying to minimise manufacturing costs. Could have used shorter thicker cable in the first place, then we would not get the problem.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Aha!  Fuse, I knew I'd forgotten something, the in line one that is.  That's tomorrow's job then. :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dutch

Ok, being rather new here I hadn't heared the expression. Using the search I came to this tread: http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,3843

In first instance I would get worried to, my FZ tended to slowly boil the battery dry. Had to keep a regular eye on it to top up cells when needed. And what do I find in that tread?

Quote from: Sasquatch
Your Yamaha's battery was probably getting over charged.  Every Yamaha I have owned (5) charged at better than 15.0 volts.  Yamaha's spec says that 15.3 is the high end of acceptable.  15.3 volts is way too much.  No matter what I did, on every Yamaha I owned, batteries were killed within 2 years.

Mmm, so good mod for Triumph, not so good for Yamaha then? Not that it really matters, sold the Yam some months ago.

iansoady

15.3 does sound too high - mine never goes over 14.7. I did the Sasquatch fix a couple of years ago and like you saw an immediate improvement at idling speed. When you look at how far the standard cables go, and their weedy nature, it's not surprising a volt or so goes adrift.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bluto

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on April 11, 2013, 07:42:32 PM
Aha!  Fuse, I knew I'd forgotten something, the in line one that is.  That's tomorrow's job then. :thumbsup

You are probably already aware but from what I've read the current is at the very limit of what a standard size blade fuse/holder can handle and some have had failures...so a maxi size blade fuse is a better choice...if you can't find one at a auto supply store boat shops generally carry the fuses and holders

Bixxer Bob

Didn't get round to it today, but I take your point.  I've checked the charging diagram and plan to copy the fusing arrangement from that.