News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Which chain splitting/riveting tool should I get

Started by aesdj, June 02, 2013, 10:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aesdj

Putting a new chain on and I'm going to use the rivet method but don't have a tool for the job. What do you guys reccomend. I'm not spending silly money on one that I'll hardly use so keep that in mind when you give me your thought's, cheers.

Mustang

Quote from: aesdj on June 02, 2013, 10:19:14 AM
Putting a new chain on and I'm going to use the rivet method but don't have a tool for the job. What do you guys reccomend. I'm not spending silly money on one that I'll hardly use so keep that in mind when you give me your thought's, cheers.
then don't bother ...........have a shop do it .
the cheap ones are plain junk
Motion Pro is the one to get and it's well over a hundred bucks.
Seriously you need one that works , that chain is a bitch when it comes apart at 70 mph , you'll wish you had spent the money on the motion pro compared to the damage the chain will do when it all comes undone !

TigerTrax

Mustang is right....

That chain very tough to work with if you do not
know what you are doing or have the wrong tools.

\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

deepsouthtiger

X's 3 Sometimes its just easier.....better.....and cheaper in the long run to just "pay the guy" to do it.  Not sure what your local shop charges. But I would guess a bit less than the cost of the proper tools.
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

Chris Canning

Better make that 4,seeing what a chain can do when it lets go is a wonderfull cure for worrying about saving money!!!

But the days of buying chains that are too long/short are long gone,the norm is to buy a chain the right number of links,it will come with a soft link,so all you need is a metal block to put behind the soft link and a hammer to peen the soft link over,and if you haven't the balls to do it(lots haven't) take it to a shop and make life easy,far cheaper than a set of crankcase's  :icon_lol:

PeteH

Got the shop to do mine...any f**k ups its down to them :thumbsup. I remember the trouble I had putting an O chain on a bike that had a split link? compressing the side plate and keeping the rings in place while trying to put the greasy link on :icon_frown:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Bluto

RK makes a very good chain tool kit that will do clip and rivet types and has spare parts availability, have one myself and it works great for both, paid $100 in the US

chairhead

I'm lucky to have the Pro tool, so easy to use, small, compact and tough,
highly recommended   :thumbsup

http://www.didchain.com/chainTools.html

this will last a lifetime!
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

tigergotcha

Ognibene (DID reseller for Italy) sells kits with DID chain, good quality sprockets AND RIVETING TOOL w/instructions at very reasonable prices.
just an example:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/KIT-TRASMISSIONE-CATENA-ORIGINALE-DID-PROF-TRIUMPH-800-TIGER-XC-11-12-525-VX-/290967657602?pt=Ricambi_e_Accessori_Moto&hash=item43bf061c82

uk distributor: www.biketorqueracing.co.uk

Bixxer Bob

Yup, that's the one I have too.  The DID tool is the mutts danglies :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dutch

Please keep in mind tools for one brand chain don't always work on another brand. I don't have a list of which brand works with what / what not, but the DID tool will work on a DID chain, RK on RK etc.