News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I think it may be time....

Started by iansoady, June 03, 2013, 05:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

:icon_cry:

After 8 years with the Girly I've had a couple of shortish rides this year and am realising that the replacement knee I had last year plus the onward march of anno domini are conspiring to make the big Tiger less fun than it was. The weight and height are starting to feel a bit too much. It's still fine when on the move but getting it in / out of the garage plus any manhandling at petrol stations etc are (perhaps more in my mind than actually) something of a struggle.

So I'm considering a move - maybe to an 800 Tiger? Any comments / suggestions?

BTW the Tiger will probably be on the market shortly - if anyone is interested let me know.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

I'd certainly take your time,blimey I could write a book about the last 4 days of jumping from Multistrada to my 955 and back,ending with doing a 250 mile run through Wales today,but my number one bike by some margin is my XT660X,if your not going to be doing Euro trips,I'd certainly look at an XT,their light easy to move,weigh nothing cruise at 90,down side ride e'm hard they eat tyres,oh and the XT is cheap to buy,so tucked away in the garage it's loosing loads.

Sin_Tiger

The 800 is a lot easier to handle, especially if you go for the roadie version. Go down to your dealer and get a ready ride.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Stitch

The 800 weighs about as much as the 955. I would consider other types such as Chris suggested. Kawasaki KLR650 are decent on this side of the pond which a 100lbs lighter and have shorter saddle height than the Tiger. If I were walking in your shoes, I would also consider some 3 wheel variations such as the Can-am Spyder, a sidecar, or trike conversion kit.

2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Chris Canning

Ian

You still have an IOU on me for the bits you let me have,I'd be more than happy to bring my XT round for you to have a ride on,it's about as subtle as my 955 but very effective for Uk riding.

iansoady

Hi Chris,

That's a very generous offer - however, I feel the Yam may be a bit too full-on for my riding style which might be (kindly) described as relaxed these days! One thing I've always appreciated from the Tiger is its fairly slow steering and ability to pull a high gear without being fussed.

I suspect even the 800 may be a bit frenetic for me but I intend to try one and see. Otherwise I may even end up looking at something like a dullville........

In the meantime I have my Matchless to bimble around the lanes on.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

iansoady

Quote from: Stitch on June 04, 2013, 02:59:29 PM
If I were walking in your shoes, I would also consider some 3 wheel variations such as the Can-am Spyder, a sidecar, or trike conversion kit.

No!!!!

Although I do appreciate the merits of outfits (I had a Norton single hooked up to a Watsonian Avon chair many years ago) they're not really very practical in our crowded island having the disadvantages of both cars (overtaking, manoeuvrability) and bikes (weather protection). Although there's little that gives more fun on a snowy back road.

But thanks for the thought and I will certainly look at some of the other offerings. I had a Honda Dominator as a commuter for a couple of years and really liked it but it was a bit agricultural for anything over 50 miles or so.

I have sat on an 800 and although you're probably right that the weight is similar, it does seem to be carried a bit lower. I'll give one a try in the near future anyway.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

iansoady

If I moved away from Triumph, what do people think about a 650 V-strom? Only asking......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

NKL

My mates got a 650 Versys which is a pretty good bike (quite low seat reasonable performance and good mpg) If you can put up with the looks of course.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Mustang

Quote from: iansoady on June 04, 2013, 06:36:38 PM
If I moved away from Triumph, what do people think about a 650 V-strom? Only asking......
ok but no soul/character like a tiger

Chris Canning

Quote from: iansoady on June 04, 2013, 05:19:06 PM
Hi Chris,

That's a very generous offer - however, I feel the Yam may be a bit too full-on for my riding style which might be (kindly) described as relaxed these days!

Look at an XT660R with a 19" front wheel then.

Chris Canning

Quote from: Mustang on June 04, 2013, 07:14:02 PM
Quote from: iansoady on June 04, 2013, 06:36:38 PM
ok but no soul/character like a tiger

In other words it'll run like a Swiss watch and never miss a beat.

I'd also look at Kawasaki Versy

NeilD

Quote from: iansoady on June 04, 2013, 05:24:33 PM

I have sat on an 800 and although you're probably right that the weight is similar, it does seem to be carried a bit lower. I'll give one a try in the near future anyway.

the 800 is about 50 lbs lighter, but as you alluded to it does carry its weight lower and is so much easier to push into the shed - thats what sold it to me when i had an 800 as a loan bike whilst the 955 was having some work done..  the engine is very flexible, can be ridden through 30mph limits in top and will pull away cleanly... or if you want to bring out the inner hooligan then there is fun to be had sticking to 3rd and 4th gears   :icon_wink:  the fuel injection seems really sorted on the modern triumphs... Michellin PR3 road tyres transformed the handling for me..

coachgeo

There are two new Honda players in the Market now too.  the 00x's (CB500x , NC700x)
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Sin_Tiger

What Neil said  :thumbsup

Has the same flexible character as the Striple that the engine is derived from, you can ride it around town like your system or like you stole it,  it really is that used friendly.  You will only know when you try it for yourself.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint