News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I think it may be time....

Started by iansoady, June 03, 2013, 05:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Quote from: coachgeo on June 05, 2013, 04:05:12 AM
There are two new Honda players in the Market now too.  the 00x's (CB500x , NC700x)

Good suggestion forgot about the NC700x,a guy who lives a few doors away has one.

NKL

Quote from: Chris Canning on June 05, 2013, 03:37:44 PM
Quote from: coachgeo on June 05, 2013, 04:05:12 AM
There are two new Honda players in the Market now too.  the 00x's (CB500x , NC700x)

Good suggestion forgot about the NC700x,a guy who lives a few doors away has one.

Yes a good choice if you don't actually like motorcycling.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Chris Canning

Spoken by a man who hasn't had a knee replacement!!

Advwannabe

The 'soul' argument is such a subjective thing. Ian I have a number of friends with Weestroms, one of whom has the new model. They are easy to handle, ride beautifully, do evetything you aks of them without fuss and economically. They don't light my fire, but maybe they will yours. Worth a try.

For the 800 Tiger my comments are the same as Neil Ds, great bikes. I found the 21" front onf the XC no disadvantage on the road so I'd go that way if it were me. IMHO both 800s are better alrounders than Dora, which is a great touring bike with adventure bike styling. Certainly the 800 is happy to bimble around and is a lot easier to man handle in the shed.

Tigerbill who sometimes posts here, uses his Steamer mainly for road riding. Recently he has purchased a Versys and you can't prise him off the thing! Very light, easy to handle and judging by the ammount of touring bling he is buying for it and how much he is riding it, floats his boat as well.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Sin_Tiger

I know three guys locally who got the 700X. Great fuel consumption but all three said the same,  boring and gutless, regretted it.  They were looking for more in the way of touring capability but said it was only really good as a commuter.  I know these guys and they hate admitting making a poor decision.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

I've now had the chance to try a V-Strom 650 (just a short test ride from a dealer) and must admit I was quite impressed. Exactly what I was looking for in terms of size / weight and nippy enough, although I know I'll miss that 955 triple (not to mention hours of fun playing with Tuneboy). It is very much like a mini-Tiger.

It's a shame Triumph didn't do something similar with a detuned version of the 675. I'm afraid the 800 Tiger is just too ugly for me. It reminds me of the Pompidou building with all the guts on the outside.

When I told my wife I was thinking of deserting Triumph she was horrified till I showed her a pic of the 800.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Ian

This loyalty thing with motorcycles has always been lost on me it's what ever floats your boat,and if it gets you out and about that's all that matters,you'll have to meet us at Crossgates café one of these midweeks,I'd say come with us but the nut case who comes me causes some wry smiles when he pulls he helmet off,he's 76!! and only got back from riding to Mugello last Wednesday.

Sin_Tiger

I here what you're saying about the 800, after a great ride I changed my mind and it's grown on me.  I have been harboring weird thoughts about building a 675 Steamer for a couple of years now but that just might be a project too far  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Advwannabe

Amen Chris. I like the cut of Triumph's jib, but if another brand makes the bike you want, that's what you get.

The guy who sold my my Blackbird has gone on to a Weestrom and loves it. All the best Ian!
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

iansoady

Quote from: Chris Canning on June 11, 2013, 06:54:27 PM
Ian

This loyalty thing with motorcycles has always been lost on me it's what ever floats your boat,and if it gets you out and about that's all that matters,you'll have to meet us at Crossgates café one of these midweeks,I'd say come with us but the nut case who comes me causes some wry smiles when he pulls he helmet off,he's 76!! and only got back from riding to Mugello last Wednesday.

I agree but all other things being equal I'd rather have a bike built down the road (may have taken that to extremes with the Velo) than one thousands of miles away. But I accept that has little real value these days.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

threepot

I've ridden my mates Strom,its ok..does what it says on the tin etc,but it felt like a big scoot to me. Not in the same ball park as my Steamer! He's always defending its looks too :pottytrain2  He was going to buy a Steamer,but I think the problem I had with the blocked inlet filter put him off. It is 17yrs old tho,and just took me over and back from France :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Rode a mate's 1000, a bit lacking in the torque department,  horrible balance at walking pace,  I dropped it, and remember I ride a Steamer  :bug_eye  ground clearance was not good either, he was always complaining about hitting the sump going over a kerb. DL is supposed to be the better machine if a bit short on capacity both engine and carrying.

ssevy

I currently have a 99 Legend, and am in the process of procuring a 97 Steamer. The Legend has the same great motor, feet are flat on the ground at stops, and I modified bar height, pegs, etc., so that I am comfortable. Here in the northeast US, these sell with low miles and in good condition around $3500. My friend has the Weestrom 650, and while it is nice, the engine pales compared to our triples.

I would recommend this bike as an inexpensive,, very well built, daily rider which can be set up as you like, and for far less than a new roadie. Maybe the lineage isn't a straight line, but I think of the new roadies as the new replacements for the Legend/Thunderbirds of the late 90's, early 2000's. I admit that I have not ridden one, but are they really worth the extra money as compared to a triple classic?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

iansoady

I've always quite fancied a Thunderbird Sport but that's still a big heavy bike and not really what I'm looking for at the moment.

Still haven't sold the Tiger......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sin_Tiger

That's certainly out of the box thinking  :thumbsup

Another one that occurred to me this afternoon is the Versys, well thought of and certainly popular out here.