News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Two up on a 955

Started by qbto, June 12, 2013, 05:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbto

Anyone use a Tiger 955 for two up touring ? Looking at getting either a 955 or a R1150GS, I now the GS is a great two up bike but down on power.

Chris Canning

Only for the last 13 years!! where would you like to start,well apart from telling is what continent your on. :icon_biggrin:

robxxxx

It's the single biggest reason I bought it. And it only really comes out of the shed when we have a lot of miles to do. Wife loves it on the back. Just buy the Tiger and be done with it. And as a bonus it will be one less R series BMW I have to look at everywhere I go.

cosmo

Same here. Wife was a bit non-plussed with the stock seat, so I treated her to a http://www.buttybuddy.com/ Which was the best money spent.

Last year we went to New York state, and we emptied the tank twice. By that I mean fuel up, feet up, then light on, look for fuel. 240 miles and nary a complaint. Twice in one day. There are perhaps three bikes being produced that can even go that far on one tank, much less two up AND comfortable.

Now when I say comfortable, I mean in that she was updating her facebook while we rode.

I've had many, many bikes, traveled hundreds of thousands of miles, yet I have put on 20,000 MORE miles than on any other bike I have owned.

And I have NO plans to replace this bike until 100,000 miles, if then.

Cosmo

BTW, BOTH of us were born under President Kennedy...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: robxxxx on June 12, 2013, 11:19:34 PM
It's the single biggest reason I bought it. And it only really comes out of the shed when we have a lot of miles to do. Wife loves it on the back. Just buy the Tiger and be done with it. And as a bonus it will be one less R series BMW I have to look at everywhere I go.

Could add rusty to that  :icon_mrgreen:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Advwannabe

My wife didn't like the Triumph seat on ours, replaced it with a Corbin and haven't looked back. 800k days are comfortable on the beastie two up.

Great mileage Cosmo, I'm lucky to see 210 (330k) miles on mine two up.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

kneeslider916

Quote from: qbto on June 12, 2013, 05:50:39 PM
Anyone use a Tiger 955 for two up touring ? Looking at getting either a 955 or a R1150GS, I now the GS is a great two up bike but down on power.

I happen to own both, and in my honest opinion the BMW is the better bike with a pillion due to its no dive front suspension, and better road holding. Having said that, the 955i still very good at carrying a pillion.

Chris Canning

Well you can put me in the def don't like GS's club,but I have owned a boxer for the last 13 years so I do know my way around one.

The engines 955 v Boxer are a world way from each other,what I can tell the GS lot get very up tight when they encounter a well set up Tiger  :icon_lol:

Montydog

1150 Gs is a great bike, the engine braking is fab so you shouldn't need to use brakes that much so should be a smooth ride for a pillion although the engine is a tad agricultural... this is based on about 60,000 miles on a Gs. I have roughly 209 miles Tiger experience and I can't believe how silky smooth the engine is, initial impressions are very good... I can't see fork dive counting too much as things have normally gone "Pete tong" when you start diving, shouldn't happen that often!!!!

cosmo

Quote from: Advwannabe on June 15, 2013, 01:26:16 AM
My wife didn't like the Triumph seat on ours, replaced it with a Corbin and haven't looked back. 800k days are comfortable on the beastie two up.

Great mileage Cosmo, I'm lucky to see 210 (330k) miles on mine two up.

Corbin has gotten too spendy for me. I've have my share in the past, even a Corbin-Gentry, but now he thinks too much of his product for my taste.

Mileage?! Remember, I'm the one geared stupid tall - 19/42 (I rechecked after posting 43, it's a 42). I tach 4,000 at 70 mph. Oh, and 53,000 on the OEM clutch, so I either know how to use one, or it's not hard on the clutch.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Sin_Tiger

I think it actually looks better without the plastics Chris. Put the seat back on it and go out scaring small children :bug_eye
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Well it's been my belief for some that all those that buy GS's have some kind of injection up the arse!!! that's make e'm oh so superior!!!,in reality out on the road even in Europe finding someone who will show you how good his GS is very rare,in 13 years I've come across a French guy in full leathers on an 1150 who could barely slip stream us and we where 2 up with a pile of gear it was embarrassing see him lie flat on the tank to try and keep up,I came across two guys on 1200's in NI and they were just gobsmacked that anyone had the audacity to even over taken e'm never mind ride away into the distance.

But last year Eureka!! I come a German in the Alps two up with the same amount of gear and he was prepared to show me how good his GS was,bare in mind having a boxer I know where they are good and know where they are crap,even had one of those daft camera's on his head,bet he deleted that when he got home.

Out of the hairpin bends he absolutely murdered me there's no substitute for a cubes and a big twin,but the moment the revs picked up I was breathing down his neck,but where the fun was I could turn inside him on the corners it was great watching him trying work out what the hell was going on,and like all other GS owners see that oh so superior stance crumble in the matter of a couple of miles. :icon_lol:

To my amazement  he waved us through,then decided to chase us which didn't last very long,when they came past later on while we where having a coffee never even got a wave :icon_biggrin:

What I would really like is the latest 1050 sport motor in my 955 chassis,because getting back to the two up thing even after all these years it's still a great piece of kit(with some mods)

Advwannabe

GS owners....sigh.......

'Bout four years back I did the Barry way through alpine Victoria on the Tiger coming back from the World Supers. I had tourances on, passed a flock of nobby shod R12GSs on the gravel on the way to Bombala. Two years later I did it with Ed on his Steamer, both of our bikes running K60 Heidis. There was soooo much more traction,why were those beemer crawling along two years previously?

GS owners...sigh.......

They choppered two of them out of the Birdsville track last year the week brfore I rode it. The track wasn't easy, nor was it diabolical. I did Mundenowie and back in half a day. It was taking them two days to do the sme section and they were throwing it at the scenery.

GS owners...sigh.....

I rode a R12GSA with the ESA last year. Quite frankly, it was brillient. Much better traction and control than my bike on the gravel, beautiful handling, little dive under brakes.

People keeping falling off the things in the bush, but I can tell you it ain't the bikes fault.

Back on Topic, Cosmo, I was lucky and picked one up second hand. 
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180